captainzib
captainzib Reader
9/5/08 9:56 a.m.
carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
9/5/08 9:58 a.m.

Finally a political topic with some insight and something worth debating.

(although I don't find her all that hot, that is unless you compare her to some other politicos like maybe Hillary)

aircooled
aircooled Dork
9/5/08 10:04 a.m.

I don't know, that might result in the drooping of her appeal.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
9/5/08 10:04 a.m.

SPOON!

No i want to see her nekkid wearing nothing but a set of Tick ears... grrrr

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Reader
9/5/08 10:07 a.m.

While I certainly don't agree with her political views, it would be nice if she were discussed because of them instead of her other assets.

This is why America is not ready for a woman president, most of us can't get past the woman part.

captainzib
captainzib Reader
9/5/08 10:11 a.m.

The world is not ready for a female pres. especially not an attractive one. What if McCain passed and Palin had to take over? Can you imagine her at a conference with other global leaders, all men most likely considering the same things that this author is talking about?

Come on, how many guys actually paid attention in that one class with the super hot teacher?

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/5/08 10:17 a.m.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
9/5/08 10:17 a.m.

^^ her students studied good and hard according to the newspaper ^^

captainzib
captainzib Reader
9/5/08 10:18 a.m.

I so wish I had a pedo teacher that looked like that when I was in highschool.

P71
P71 Reader
9/5/08 10:27 a.m.

The thing I can't get over about Palin is just how much she looks like my MOM!

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
9/5/08 10:27 a.m.
captainzib wrote: The world is not ready for a female pres. especially not an attractive one. What if McCain passed and Palin had to take over? Can you imagine her at a conference with other global leaders, all men most likely considering the same things that this author is talking about? Come on, how many guys actually paid attention in that one class with the super hot teacher?

And yet many on the board were clamoring for Hillarious C. But then she definitely was nothing approaching hot.

But the sad thing is that many will vote for her just cause she's female as many will vote for Obama just cause he's sorta-kinda partially black.

It's a good move on the R's part since the country was revved up to vote female.

Many American voters ignore the rest of the world in their thinking. Can you imagine a woman sitting down with any of the middle eastern countries? They would be sure we elected her (whomever it is) as an insult to them. But that will be their take on anyone. I like to look to our "enemies" or not so good friends and see who they like. I figure they like them because it will be best for them - that makes it worse for us so I vote contrarian.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/5/08 10:31 a.m.
P71 wrote: The thing I can't get over about Palin is just how much she looks like my MOM!

Dude, your mom is HOT!

captainzib
captainzib Reader
9/5/08 10:31 a.m.

About our not so good friends wanting who's best for them, that's how everyone votes.

No one could give two E36 M3s about who's best for the country as a whole, everyone just seems to want who's best for their own selfish reasons.

It is an inherent flaw in democracy, and in human nature. I'm not saying that there is a better solution, at least I don't know of one, just pointing out that the flaw exists.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
9/5/08 10:33 a.m.
Salanis wrote:

Is he copping a peek down her shirt?

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/5/08 10:33 a.m.
captainzib wrote: It is an inherent flaw in democracy, and in human nature. I'm not saying that there is a better solution, at least I don't know of one, just pointing out that the flaw exists.

Actually, not necessarily. It's more a flaw in human nature. If you read the Federalist Papers, our founding fathers were well aware that the primary motivating force for all humanity was personal interest. They knew people only cared about their own personal agendas and recognized how few enlightened statesmen we'd ever see.

captainzib
captainzib Reader
9/5/08 10:42 a.m.

Well when I said flaw in democracy I was getting at the point that democracy, in theory, relies on choice, and choices are made by people governed by human nature. I say in theory because one of the only things I remember from highschool American History, (engineering school didn't have any worthwhile history electives I wanted to take in college), was that an alarming number of presidential elections were rigged. I wish I could provide details so I'd appear smarter on the internet but this is the best I can do right now.

And yes, it's unfortunate that people wanted Hillary cause she was a woman, or didn't want her for that reason, samesies for Obama and his blackness, or McCain and his wealth.

A president should be chosen based on how they behaved during their years in congress, or senate or whatever it is they do as they work their way up the political ladder.

I can't stand flip flopping, or a nicer way to put it is just saying whatever people want to hear at that given moment or just trying to please everyone.

The only former candidate I've seen who's made promises that go hand in hand with his actions in his earlier political career is Ron Paul. But I admit, he's too much of a handful for the mainstream media to market him, and let's face it, cable network CEOs have their own interests in Washington as well.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
9/5/08 10:43 a.m.
captainzib wrote: Can you imagine a woman sitting down with any of the middle eastern countries? They would be sure we elected her (whomever it is) as an insult to them. But that will be their take on anyone. I like to look to our "enemies" or not so good friends and see who they like. I figure they like them because it will be best for them - that makes it worse for us so I vote contrarian.

Israel had a female Prime Minister, Golda Mier (sp?), but then again, they are not like the rest of the Middle East countries.

Jack

captainzib
captainzib Reader
9/5/08 10:45 a.m.
Jack wrote:
captainzib wrote: Can you imagine a woman sitting down with any of the middle eastern countries? They would be sure we elected her (whomever it is) as an insult to them. But that will be their take on anyone. I like to look to our "enemies" or not so good friends and see who they like. I figure they like them because it will be best for them - that makes it worse for us so I vote contrarian.
Israel had a female Prime Minister, Golda Mier (sp?), but then again, they are not like the rest of the Middle East countries. Jack

That's right, they were [re]built from the ground up by us and England starting in 1948.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
9/5/08 10:45 a.m.

IIRC wasn't Golda's era part of one of the eras of most turmoil in the middle east?

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/5/08 10:50 a.m.
captainzib wrote: I can't stand flip flopping, or a nicer way to put it is just saying whatever people want to hear at that given moment or just trying to please everyone.

I'm not bothered by the "flip-flopping" that candidates get skewered for. Conviction is all well and good, but an intelligent person will be willing to change their mind on significant issues when presented with new evidence.

It is also the job of politicians to represent the political will of their constituents. If the people you represent decide they want a change in direction regarding a certain policy, it is the job of their representative to follow that unless they truly believe the will of the people is wrong.

That's just how the political game is played. Everyone has to compromise at some point. If no one compromised nothing would ever get done.

Edit: I would have no problem with doing some Flip-Floppin' with a naked Sarah Palin.

captainzib
captainzib Reader
9/5/08 10:52 a.m.

I guess I'm more annoyed with flip-flopping that involves telling one group of people one thing to get their attention, only to tell their opponents to opposite to make them happy.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
9/5/08 10:57 a.m.
Jack wrote:
Israel had a female Prime Minister, Golda Mier (sp?), but then again, they are not like the rest of the Middle East countries. Jack

Both Indonesia and Pakistan have had female prime ministers. Granted Indonesia (I'm there now, I mean here, whatever) isn't hugely conservative by Muslim standards but still, if these countries were "ready" for a woman in the hot seat why isn't the US?

Of course it all depends on which woman.

J

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/5/08 10:58 a.m.
captainzib wrote: I guess I'm more annoyed with flip-flopping that involves telling one group of people one thing to get their attention, only to tell their opponents to opposite to make them happy.

Ah, that makes more sense. I was referring to legislators with a long voting record changing the pattern of their votes. Pandering to demographics and telling them conflicting things during the same election season is frustrating.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
53dlVGZSJysa4E6Jxd1FmuuGR34ROSLcKS2Dhl8tiD2JZgQQH7L3YoGI0FnwkIgZ