1 2
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/21/15 10:07 p.m.

I got my daughter hooked on Cars, but watching it again has me realizing how many people involved with it are no longer with us. Doc Hudson/Paul Newman, Sarge/George Carlin, and Dusty/Tom "Clack" Magliozzi have all passed on and Michael Schumacher is still recovering from his coma. It's a little depressing to be honest.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
3/21/15 10:16 p.m.

If you think about it that way, then yeah.

Doesn't make it a bad movie.

rusty
rusty New Reader
3/21/15 10:17 p.m.

I'm just glad the didn't try to replace Paul Newman for the sequel. I don't like George Carlin's replacement, but I understand, like slinky in Toy Story.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard SuperDork
3/21/15 10:24 p.m.

Pepcid AC is really a miracle drug then

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/21/15 10:49 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

Oh no, not a bad movie at all. I've watched it 12 times this week. Just feeling a little old and nostalgic about 2006 is all.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/22/15 3:23 a.m.

Most of the movies I watch are filled with dead people. It makes me cherish them even more that we received this gift of a great movie.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
3/22/15 8:05 a.m.

One of my top three favorite NASCAR movies.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
3/22/15 12:43 p.m.

i thought this was going to be about how that movie was actually set thousands of years in the future in the apocalyptic aftermath of every Pixar movie ever made

seriously, they all tell different parts of the same story..

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/22/15 5:15 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I got my daughter hooked on Cars, but watching it again has me realizing how many people involved with it are no longer with us. Doc Hudson/Paul Newman, Sarge/George Carlin, and Dusty/Tom "Clack" Magliozzi have all passed on and Michael Schumacher is still recovering from his coma. It's a little depressing to be honest.

Funny thing: George Carlin did a joke about how he was watching an old movie and it occurred to him that everyone in it was dead.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
3/23/15 7:50 a.m.

I just noticed the other day that one of the trailers in the truck stop they pass has an Incredibles logo.

Ponder
Ponder New Reader
3/23/15 8:25 a.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: One of my top three favorite NASCAR movies.

So, I keep trying to think what could be the other two.

It got me thinking that the only serious attempt at a NASCAR movie that I can think of would be Greased Lightning (Richard Prior as Wendell Scott). The others are comedy (Talladega Nights, Days of Thunder, Stroker Ace) or kids movies (Six Pack, Herbie Reloaded)

Cars is great. I was a little disappointed when someone pointed out that its plot was virtually identical to Doc Hollywood (which I also like a lot).

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/23/15 8:41 a.m.

The other NASCAR movie I think of is The Last American Hero with Jeff Bridges as a thinly veiled biography of Junior Johnson.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
3/23/15 8:42 a.m.
Ponder wrote:
So, I keep trying to think what could be the other two. It got me thinking that the only serious attempt at a NASCAR movie that I can think of would be Greased Lightning (Richard Prior as Wendell Scott). The others are comedy (Talladega Nights, Days of Thunder, Stroker Ace) or kids movies (Six Pack, Herbie Reloaded) Cars is great. I was a little disappointed when someone pointed out that its plot was virtually identical to Doc Hollywood (which I also like a lot).

He's probably thinking Days of Thunder and Talladega Nights.

Storz
Storz Dork
3/23/15 10:57 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: i thought this was going to be about how that movie was actually set thousands of years in the future in the apocalyptic aftermath of every Pixar movie ever made seriously, they all tell different parts of the same story..

That is really cool

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
3/23/15 12:58 p.m.

wait, Days of Thunder was a comedy? the only part that made me laugh was the rental car demo derby scene..

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/23/15 1:25 p.m.

Is "Greased Lightning" one of the other two? I haven't seen it yet (stupid Netflux doesn't carry it) but I really want to.

Relevant: Yeah, it's depressing that a movie made only 9 years ago has so many ghost voices in it.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
3/23/15 1:38 p.m.
Storz wrote:
novaderrik wrote: i thought this was going to be about how that movie was actually set thousands of years in the future in the apocalyptic aftermath of every Pixar movie ever made seriously, they all tell different parts of the same story..
That is really cool

That made my brain hurt. People have too much time on their hands.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/23/15 1:59 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: wait, Days of Thunder was a comedy? the only part that made me laugh was the rental car demo derby scene..

NASCAR wouldn't approve of icecream bars...

His tires. My tires.

Hooker cops.

Wheelchair race.

Hit the pace car.

Its a funny movie.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
3/23/15 2:46 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: He's probably thinking Days of Thunder and Talladega Nights.

We have a winner!
Blame it on my relative youth, I've not seen... any of the other NASCAR movies mentioned in this thread.

Ponder
Ponder New Reader
3/24/15 8:37 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: wait, Days of Thunder was a comedy? the only part that made me laugh was the rental car demo derby scene..

Sorry. My lame attempt at a joke. The funniness in Days of Thunder is unintentional. I found the concept that driving full throttle through a cloud of smoke being a great to win a race absolutely hilarious.

Amazingly, I can't think of a cast character of Days of Thunder who has left us. It's much older than Cars. Was it at the end of cars when they're watching the movie and John Ratzenburger complains that they keep using the same voice actor in movie after movie? (And it's him). Oh and Woody in the Cars version of Toy Story being a woody is brilliant.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
3/24/15 9:13 a.m.

Talladega Nights is the best documentary ever..

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/24/15 9:25 a.m.
Ponder wrote: Oh and Woody in the Cars version of Toy Story being a woody is brilliant.

Hamm is a piggy bank.

Buzz is a cross between a race car, and a lunar rover (and the rear wing is the same as Buzz Lightyear's flying wing).

But there was a lot of briliance in that movie:

• "The King" was voiced by Richard Petty (aka The King), and was a 1970 Plymouth Superbird (#43, in Petty blue)

• Mrs. The King, was voiced by Richard Petty's wife Lynda Petty is a 1974 Chrysler Town and Country station wagon that brought the Petty family to races during the 1970s.

• Lighting McQueen (reference to Steve McQueen?)

• Doc Hudson is a 1951 Hudson Hornet (the winningest car in NASCAR history)

• Sally Carrera is the town attorney, a 2002 Porsche 996

• Luigi's license plate is 445-108, which is the latitude and longitude for the main Ferrari factory in Maranello, Italy

• Ramone is a 1959 Chevrolet Impala Lowrider voiced by Cheech Marin

• Stanley is a Stanley Steamer, Lizze is a 1923 MOdel T (Tin Lizzie)

• Darryl Cartrip is voiced by Darryl Waltrip (NASCAR driver/ commentator).

• Bob Cutlass is voiced by Bob Costas.

• Rusty and Dusty , are voiced by Tom and Ray Magliozzi (NPR's Car Talk). Rusty is a 1963 Dodge Dart and Dusty, a 1964 Dodge A100. Tom Magliozzi owned a green '63 Dart, named "The Dartre".

It goes on and on. There are literally hundreds of inside jokes that are car related- from license tags to backgrounds, to logos on the sides of trucks.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/24/15 11:55 a.m.

The spark pugs on top of the dinner are the firing order of a Ford flathead V-8.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer SuperDork
3/24/15 12:09 p.m.

Mia and Tia's "headlight flash" scene...

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
3/26/15 6:13 a.m.
Appleseed wrote:
NASCAR wouldn't approve of icecream bars... His tires. My tires. Hooker cops. Wheelchair race. Hit the pace car. Its a funny movie.

i found no humor in any of that stuff, even tho i knew it was supposed to be funny when i first saw it on HBO about 6 months after it came out.. i saw a lot of stuff that might happen to normal people in a normal day, but the rental car demo scene was the only one that seemed out of the ordinary to me..

and is "hitting the pace car" funny if it actually happened from time to time, as seen in this video clip that shows how much less seriously some people took things 20+ years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e67jjvNI608

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FSPCQ8dssR9VH8kwkFEWaZC4voR9OPEbxSXpB33RiJtE6Kg1KSkFgG1Y2cQaLRMa