1 2 3
ahutson03
ahutson03 New Reader
6/16/10 8:38 a.m.

I miss my '65 Mustang notch that got rear ended by an '87 Lincoln 2 weeks after I finished a 2 year long restoration... I also miss my '95 318ti, that car was a blast and never gave me a single problem, even with once a month trips into the Georgia mountains to get lost and have a little fun.

dinger
dinger New Reader
6/16/10 9:43 a.m.

Intake, header, exhaust, big old Crower bumpsticks, Konis, Azenis.

What a fun street car, and convinced a heck of a lot of guys in our autox club that these FWD cars may not be so bad.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/16/10 10:55 a.m.

The one I miss the most and regret selling was an 81 Scirocco. (mk 1) I drove that car from Cape Cod to Tuscon, to Ely MN and down to Ft. Lauderdale FL. Man I loved that machine. It was getting rough around the edges so I sold it to a member of this board........he still maintains it will be revived! If not, I may have to take it back under cover of darkness!

A close second would be the 1980 2 door notch Corolla I had. 1.8 liter RWD, light, and willing to take horrendous amounts of abuse. It was like a cut-rate 2002, or 510. The car finally gave up the ghost after I rolled it 5 or 6 times. I'd love another.

skrzastek
skrzastek Reader
6/16/10 9:38 p.m.

1985 CRX SI. Blue, under 100k on it, all factory original. My uncle bought it new, I was the 2nd owner. Still it to this day. Did my first track day in it. Sold to purchase a Miata to continue the track/ autocross theme

autoxrs
autoxrs Reader
8/2/10 9:19 p.m.

It hasn't got away yet, but will and I have this horrible, horrible feeling that I am/will regret it.

Rewind...

I bought my friend Dave's Spyder. Since he bought it in '06 I knew I'd own it someday, even more so after we dropped the 2zz into it. Its everything I want in a car, nothing I need. Weight, got little of it. Power, not much but plenty so to get that rear hanging out at will. Creature comforts, plenty compared to my other cars. So in a whim I bought it, knowing that I had plenty of other cars. There are days I curse at it, the lack of space makes it difficult to work on. Its harsh on public roads and a cop and attention magnet. But, going off the highway and into the serenity of country two lane roads its true color shows. Its like the F430, well not really, that James May drove when Top Gear went searching for that big bridge in France. Winding country roads with the top down and you forget everything. But, I can't have it. It makes no sense to have it. Its impractical, I barely can fit groceries in it. People stare at you. I have plenty of other cars. But, I have this horrible feeling of dread that I will regret my decision to let her go. The sonorous noise of the tiny 4 cylinder revving at 8500 rpm. The impeccable steering, you point and it goes. The magnificent brakes, the will to get the back end to step out that is so controllable. And yet, for all practical purposes it makes no sense.

There, now I'm confused as ever.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/2/10 9:38 p.m.

Gonna have to be my splitty:

Did 0-60 in about an hour and a half.

EvanB
EvanB Dork
8/2/10 9:41 p.m.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/2/10 10:14 p.m.

I miss the Crown...and the Aspire...

they were both terrible cars, but each provided exactly what was asked, and were very reliable...until they weren't

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/3/10 1:14 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Gonna have to be my splitty: Did 0-60 in about an hour and a half.

Yeah, but I'll bet it was a lot more comfortable to sleep in than either of my Corrados..

speedblind
speedblind Reader
8/3/10 9:38 a.m.

I have two. The first was my 2002 WRX. First car I every bought new, and the first car I ever modified. Got me into track driving, and the rest is pretty much history.

The second is my 330i. Bought CPO for 25K and sold a year later for 23K. Great all-around driver, perfect road trip car and reasonably track capable. Could do it all.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
8/3/10 9:40 a.m.
speedblind wrote:

speedblind
speedblind Reader
8/3/10 9:53 a.m.

Great movie!

The picture was taken on a 2,700 mile trip across the country, and it was actually Texas that gave me the hardest time. The officer in North Carolina was really nice though.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
8/3/10 11:05 a.m.

I should have never sold it, but I did anyways. I haven't been able to find one as clean in 3 years, virtually willing to pay anything.

Now I have a relatively mint Swift GTi. Just as fun, but not the same. I will have a red turbo 'fly again! And I don't sell cars that I've dreamed about anymore. Even when I was quite broke, my parents kept suggesting I sell my Swift when it was in storage. I'd get $2k for a car that I'd never be able to find again, so why? Always, ALWAYS keep the cars you love, you'll regret selling them everytime.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
8/3/10 11:42 a.m.

I miss my 2g DSM. Only problem was... car had been t-boned twice on the drivers side within 3 years, and it had various electrical gremlins, that I could not figure out. I was ok with that until the clutch went, and very shortly thereafter, it crankwalked on me. After that, with a still tweaked framed and bent up suspension, it just wasn't worth saving. I still miss it.

Oh and the wifes' geo prism. Sold the stupid thing for 750$ 3 years ago. Poorly maintained at best. Talked to the owner of it the other day. His daughters' been taking it to college for the last 3 years. Other than struts like... 3 years ago, not long after they purchased it, they've literally spent NO money on it. I don't even think it's needed tires yet.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
8/3/10 1:07 p.m.

1981 Datsun b210 station wagon. 5sp, rear-wheel drive and cloth interior. Bought for $300. I "sold" it to the junkyard when it needed a clutch and tie rod ends. Back then, I had alot less money, tools or info to fix it. The car got picked up right b/4 Hurricane Fran, and I never wound up even getting paid for it. Still kick myself about it.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/3/10 10:25 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
Yeah, but I'll bet it was a lot more comfortable to sleep in than either of my Corrados..

...I slept in it a lot...!

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/3/10 10:40 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote:
...I slept in it a lot...!

One of my old corner worker buddies has a van (but it's not a Splitty, IIRC it's a 72 or 73) with an interior that's great. Don't know if it's stock, but it's damn sure "contemporary". I wish I'd taken pix of it at the Mitty..he had about 4 people living in the thing for the whole weekend. First time I saw it was at his campsite at the 2006 Petit LeMans..I should buy a clue. I'm gaining on 50yrs old, and the tent gets smaller (and the ground gets harder) every damn year.

Ian_F
Ian_F Reader
8/3/10 10:42 p.m.

update: I've been finding myself missing my Spitfire lately... although if/when I get another I'll go for a 4 cyl vs. the Spit 6 version I had.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
8/3/10 11:01 p.m.

The car I miss most is my old '78 Camaro. Engine was from a '70 Z28 and worked over, rock crusher trans and posi rear. It was black on black and ugly, someone had keyed it before I bought it and I never painted it when I owned it.

When yanking the seats out to clean it out as best as I could I found the original build sheet under the back seat and still have it laminated.

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
8/4/10 4:35 p.m.

The '65 Mustang fastback I spent five years building, three in college, two after. It was flared, lowered, scooped, striped, and immaculate. It suited my personality/driving style better than anything I have driven since. I sold it for a down payment on a house, two years after my daughter was born. No big deal.....I can build another anytime right...right To add insult to injury, the "worth" of these quadrupled in five years after I sold mine.

bentvalve
bentvalve New Reader
8/4/10 11:43 p.m.

Miss my 84 and 85 Gti. Miss my 93 Mustang gt. Miss the 95 240sx. Miss the suburban. miss the astrovan. really miss my 73 pontiac catalina (first car, first race, first wreck, cetain other fondly remembered firsts). Don't miss either buick, the olds, the hyundai or the mercur (well maybe just alittle). Undecided if I will miss the BMW. Whatever has been left out obviously must not be missed.

But I still occassionally dream about the mustang, the catalina and the 85 Gti.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i6gGiVvsA1tTcbI2nwhz88ELD6jorDHCYOtRwaArNvemp0VeicPfUjqPtwkxWof0