1 2
lrrs
lrrs Reader
8/15/16 9:08 p.m.

For a car guy that is.

Cars, Bikes, Military, Boats, to old Mills, guy type museums (like the Precision Museum in Windsor? VT, lathes, Bridgports... of all types if you are in the Windsor VT area)

Thanks, Steve

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/16/16 9:31 a.m.

Cruise the Wegmans parking lot to see if Danny is visiting a store in his $5M custom Ferrari. Likely the Pittsford store.

While not automotive, but loosely tech related is the Eastman Museum.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
8/16/16 12:39 p.m.

Tech related is good, thanks !

Here is what I came up with for car/transportation stuff during my break.

Rochester Auto Museum - 33 Main Street East Rochester, NY 14614
Northeast Classic Car Museum - 24 Rexford Street Norwich, NY 13815
New York Museum of Transportation - 6393 East River Road West Henrietta, NY

NickD
NickD Dork
8/16/16 1:19 p.m.

Northeast Classic Car Museum is awesome. Finger Lakes Region runs some pretty hotly-contested and large-attendance autocrosses in Rochester

lastsnare
lastsnare Reader
8/16/16 1:48 p.m.

if you don't mind driving an hour, we have a Naval park with some battleships and an old submarine in Buffalo on the newly renovated waterfront, as well as the Pierce Arrow Museum (which I have yet to see myself).
http://buffalonavalpark.org/

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
8/16/16 3:19 p.m.

In reply to Brian: I love Wegmans :)

Sput
Sput Reader
8/16/16 7:21 p.m.

20-30 miles east along Lake Ontario, Sodus Bay Lighthouse.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/16/16 10:20 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469: I love when they pay me.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/17/16 11:58 a.m.

The transportation museum is or atleast was pseudo lame. Thy have expanded and invited volunteers to work there on the weekend. The volunteering was the cool part.

Groats
Groats New Reader
8/18/16 9:46 p.m.

Garbage plate! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Tahou_Hots

Also Wegman's is amazing.

PMRacing
PMRacing SuperDork
8/19/16 6:11 a.m.
Groats wrote: Garbage plate! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Tahou_Hots Also Wegman's is amazing.

Must be drunk, have a college age appetite, or a case of Tums for a garbage plate. I went to school at RIT. I think I'm still paying for eating so many of those.

Dang...now I want one...

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/19/16 7:32 a.m.

Take a trip on the Rochester Subway.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/19/16 9:41 a.m.

Wegman's is the same as every other decent grocery store. Sorry guys.

I liven in Syracuse for 24 years. There isn't much cool out there beyond what was mentioned. Drive a bit and check out a great lake if you haven't seen one, or a bit more and see the finger lakes region. A lot more and see the Adirondacks.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
8/19/16 10:42 a.m.

You would be looking at a 1.5 hour trip south but the Curtiss Museum comes highly recommended. Worth it if you were heading to or through the Finger Lakes region. Letchworth State Park is worth a short trip to if you don't hate the outdoors.

NickD
NickD Dork
8/19/16 10:46 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Wegman's is the same as every other decent grocery store. Sorry guys. I liven in Syracuse for 24 years. There isn't much cool out there beyond what was mentioned. Drive a bit and check out a great lake if you haven't seen one, or a bit more and see the finger lakes region. A lot more and see the Adirondacks.

Never subscribed to the Wegman's hype. Now H.E.B. down in Texas, there's a grocery store chain.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
8/19/16 10:47 a.m.

High Falls Brewing in Rochester. Cuz beer and cars, they go together. ;-)

See if there's a race going on at Watkins Glen that w/e.

Fueled by Caffeine
8/19/16 11:37 a.m.
PMRacing wrote: I went to school at RIT. I think I'm still paying for eating so many of those. Dang...now I want one...

Ditto and Ditto.

To the OP, Rochester is a bit of a sleepy town... It is a good place to raise a family, but not much else. It is the birthplace of Kodak, Bausch and Lomb, and Xerox. Since they are an imaging heavy place, RIT used to have good exhibits on their campus. Lots of industry there, but not much showy.. http://www.mahanyweld.com/ <-- Top notch welding supply..

Stop by the Hickey Freeman store at the factory if you can, they hand make all their suits in the US, some of their stuff in the store is heavily discounted.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/19/16 11:45 a.m.

Last time I was there I got to see the fast ferry sitting there not doing anything, but it appears it's gone now

http://rocwiki.org/Fast_Ferry

Fueled by Caffeine
8/19/16 12:25 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Seized by federal marshals. Yay!!!!

That said op should go to Charlotte to walk around.

NickD
NickD Dork
8/19/16 2:03 p.m.
PMRacing wrote:
Groats wrote: Garbage plate! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Tahou_Hots Also Wegman's is amazing.
Must be drunk, have a college age appetite, or a case of Tums for a garbage plate. I went to school at RIT. I think I'm still paying for eating so many of those. Dang...now I want one...

Garbage plates are best consumed at 2am while utterly plastered.

Scooter
Scooter Dork
8/19/16 3:55 p.m.

Things to do in Rochester? Hmm.

Move to North Carolina and constantly talk about how much better things are in Rochester? That's what all the people I grew up with and worked with did.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
8/19/16 4:09 p.m.

Niagara falls?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
8/19/16 4:09 p.m.

Oops

Fueled by Caffeine
8/19/16 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Scooter:

Ha. I moved to South Carolina but yeah. Close enough.

Sput
Sput Reader
8/19/16 4:58 p.m.
Scooter wrote: Things to do in Rochester? Hmm. Move to North Carolina and constantly talk about how much better things are in Rochester? That's what all the people I grew up with and worked with did.

Me too!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FuHkj8iw66pAuhzK3G5lB7csSyx97un57IjLOZDgrG8e1fpN8wQxruBW1boOLAQU