1 2
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/10/13 6:03 a.m.

http://poy.time.com/2013/12/09/top-ten-finalists-for-person-of-the-year/

I imagine this getting locked right away....... Who picks these people?

Bashar Assad, President of Syria

Jeff Bezos, Amazon Founder

Ted Cruz, Texas Senator

Miley Cyrus, Singer

Pope Francis, Leader of the Catholic Church

Barack Obama, President of the United States

Hassan Rouhani, President of Iran

Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services

Edward Snowden, N.S.A. Leaker

Edith Windsor, Gay rights activist

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
12/10/13 6:16 a.m.

Time has said before that "Person of the Year" does not necessarily have to be for positive things, but for people that are at the center of world-changing events - "for better or worse, had the most impact on the world and the news for the past year". Bezos and Miley probably have the least standing to be on the list...but the rest of the nominee list isn't bad:

• Assad - at the regime center of the Syrian conflict for some time now

• Bezos - for buying the Washington Post and sparking debate on the future of the newspaper. A little bit of an journalism insider's pick, but hey, I guess we'll go with it.

• Cruz - government shutdown

• Miley - Blurred Lines. Probably the least important person here.

• Pope Francis - for being a pope of the people like no pope has been for centuries

• President Obama - shutdown, Obamacare, and...

• Rouhani - for making more progress on Iranian nuclear weapons in a couple months than the last two decades

• Sebelius - Obamacare

• Snowden - NSA

• Edith Windsor - part of the couple at the center of the suit that brought down DOMA (had to look this one up)

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
12/10/13 6:38 a.m.

In reply to szeis4cookie:

To emphasise that, remember that Hitler was Man of the Year, too- not for good reasons.

While I'm not a big fan of Top X News, being that Time has done this for a long time, I'm also not a big fan of what used to be one person having the most impact being converted into a list of names.

5 Americans for political reasons, 3 politicians, a newsman, and one entertainer? huh?

Time should be able to narrow that down to a single person.

If it were me, it would be betwen Rouhani and Snowden of who would have a long term impact- especially being totally unexpected.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
12/10/13 6:53 a.m.

They will - the official announcement of the final person of the year is Wednesday, apparently. For me, I think it's between Rouhani, Snowden, and Edith Windsor.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/10/13 7:02 a.m.

Positive or negative, set aside; look at Pope Francis. I don't have the best feelings for the Catholic Church, but even as a Witch, I support Pope Francis for what he has done and the way he is leading the church. If not this year, the man will make a positive change for not only the Catholic Church, but for the world.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/10/13 7:43 a.m.

Yeah it's important to remember that it's about noteworthiness, not about whether you've done anything good...

I think Snowden or Assad should get it, I'd give Pope Francis an honorable mention. I don't think Miley Cyrus deserved a nomination.

It would be ironically hilarious if Miley got it over Snowden and Assad, I'd LMAO but I don't think most people would bat an eye.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/10/13 7:48 a.m.

"When we leak the list - people will go batE36 M3 about Miley being on there and generate a lot of buzz" --Advertising Sales Manager, Time Magazine

When I look at that list I can't see any other choice but Snowden. Whatever you think of him - he had a huge impact on world politics this year across all demographics & borders. He had leaders everywhere sweating or juxtapositioning... Putin writing op ed pieces in the NYT (probably while shirtless on horseback).

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
12/10/13 7:53 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: "When we leak the list - people will go batE36 M3 about Miley and generate a lot of buzz" --Advertising Sales Manager, Time Magazine

The problem in this particular case- the "lot of buzz" is "WTF is Time thinking?" to the point that one would question the validity of their writing.

That, and seeing that this is a list of nominees- please. You don't need to explain your thinking, just decide. You are professional news writers, you should be able to make a choice without consulting your readers.

Now I have less of a reason to go to their web page, and spend even less time reading the magazines I get (it's a gift, I don't pay for it).

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/10/13 7:58 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: That, and seeing that this is a list of nominees- please. You don't need to explain your thinking, just decide. You are professional news writers, you should be able to make a choice without consulting your readers.

The poll is just to drum up publicity, they'll choose someone else if they don't like who wins, like in 2010 when they chose Mark Zuckerberg over the poll winner Julian Assange.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/10/13 8:04 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Positive or negative, set aside; look at Pope Francis. I don't have the best feelings for the Catholic Church, but even as a Witch, I support Pope Francis for what he has done and the way he is leading the church. If not this year, the man will make a positive change for not only the Catholic Church, but for the world.

Agree, as a person with a very very negative view of organized superstition and the Catholic cult in particular, this guy is doing some real good in trying to change their focus.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/10/13 8:08 a.m.

I think the Pope cause of this.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/10/13 9:12 a.m.

I went to elementary school a couple of years behind Miley's mom. As one of my FB friends from home observed of her street growing up, "One of us became a doctor, one a CFO at a major institution, one a VP at one of America's largest healthcare companies and one a paramedic. We did ok. I thought. Til this morning and I see Tish Finley ( who lived about five houses up) topped us with her daughter Miley. Yep, according to USA Today Miley is on the short list, along with Pope Francis and the president, for Time Person of the Year. All this time we've been working, looks like instead we should've been twerking. Sigh."

Margie

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/10/13 9:18 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard:

I've got a baseball bat and you've got a patio to build. Lets work together so we can have more balls.

...Wrong thread?

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
12/10/13 9:28 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: I went to elementary school a couple of years behind Miley's mom. As one of my FB friends from home observed of her street growing up, "One of us became a doctor, one a CFO at a major institution, one a VP at one of America's largest healthcare companies and one a paramedic. We did ok. I thought. Til this morning and I see Tish Finley ( who lived about five houses up) topped us with her daughter Miley. Yep, according to USA Today Miley is on the short list, along with Pope Francis and the president, for Time Person of the Year. All this time we've been working, looks like instead we should've been twerking. Sigh." Margie

So....

Which one of your offspring will you be training to be famous for being famous?

I'd start with Tommy, since he's already known. Being a media mogul, you can start a reality show called Daytona Beach. Make sure his BMW is tearing up the show...

Then you can be mom of Person of the Year, 2020.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
12/10/13 9:30 a.m.

World leaders, entertainers, and business leaders take note! This is what greatness looks like:

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/10/13 9:32 a.m.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
12/10/13 10:29 a.m.

Snowden should be the person of the year. My guess is that he will be seen as the most important in 50 years. Obama and the Pope I could see as well.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/10/13 11:08 a.m.

Snowden for president 2016

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/10/13 12:17 p.m.

They've had some real winners:

Chiang Kai-shek
Hitler
Stalin (twice)
Krushchev
LBJ (twice) \ (Pick one to biatch about)
Nixon (twice) /
Carter
Ayatollah Khomeini
Clinton (the one with the dick) (twice)
Two Bushes
Bernanke
Obama (twice)

Here's the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

and from Time itself (because the wiki always has something wrong): http://content.time.com/time/interactive/0,31813,1681791,00.html

I vote for Miley. That way all of us could aspire to be person of the year for projecting the image of a slut, instead of being a mass murderer.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
12/11/13 1:33 a.m.

Too bad it wasn't People Magazine's person of the year.. Real people would actually win the vote..

So ardent were the Hank loyalists that the PEOPLE.com server crashed more than once as they cast their votes. Sure enough, Hank won by a landslide, besting Brad Pitt, George Clooney and other, more obvious candidates.
fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/11/13 7:35 a.m.

JUST ANNOUNCED: Time Magazine names Pope Francis "person of the year."

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/11/13 7:50 a.m.

Another "safe" choice that won't ruffle any feathers or make people think too hard, bravo.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/11/13 8:01 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Another "safe" choice that won't ruffle any feathers or make people think too hard, bravo.

But with some merit. The guy is changing some views.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/11/13 8:04 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Another "safe" choice that won't ruffle any feathers or make people think too hard, bravo.

I don't disagree, but I also do not think it was a bad choice.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/11/13 8:06 a.m.

Yeah far from a bad choice...but certainly not the best either.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xSwCXf6K410SRAW6ZBftCyie5oFhmyFNlGp8HjXxMdmxBF8DhaIOnkJ15BUIf2pM