preach
preach UltraDork
9/6/23 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

The link shows that but is timed to him at a hillclimb for the tdi bits in case you missed it. I was kind of bummed when it showed that clickbait.

I did it in a awd charger r/t. The awd hated the turns.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/7/23 9:53 a.m.

TIL that my Maytag dryer is 25 years old. Which is probably why it still works. Old appliances are built different.

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
9/7/23 11:50 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Thanks for posting this. We just bought a Maytag washer and dryer to replace our 12 year old Samsung units. Note to self: Samsung makes great TVs. Appliances, not so much. 4/4 Samsung appliances we bought had problems. The dishwasher started at 13 months, just outside their 12 month warranty. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/7/23 2:53 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

I'm on the hunt for a new dishwasher, and am avoiding Samsung, due mostly to the stories here.  Also, now, due to the three of them at one store I went to, lined up as "parts only" for $49.95...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/9/23 7:53 a.m.

My Milwaukee 1/4" hex driver can remove lug nuts that I'd torqued to 100 ft-lb that morning.

Someone else needed my air hose and I needed to remove some wheels NOW so I jokingly stuck a 1/2" adaptor into the driver so I could put a 21mm socket on it.  BzzzzzzBAP. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/9/23 8:32 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to CAinCA :

I'm on the hunt for a new dishwasher, and am avoiding Samsung, due mostly to the stories here.  Also, now, due to the three of them at one store I went to, lined up as "parts only" for $49.95...

My wife and I have had very good luck with LG appliances. They seem to just... work.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/9/23 3:36 p.m.

TIL dishwashers have gotten a whole lot quieter in the last 15 years.

I interrupted it a couple of times on its first start because I couldn't hear stuff happening.

Whirlpool.  I guess we will find out how sturdy it is.  My Whirlpool stove, washer and dryer all are doing ok. 

Replacing a Chinese Maytag from 2004, so if I get close to that life, I'll be moving to a care home anyway...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/9/23 7:38 p.m.

TIL how to install and tune a bidet--toilet with self opening closing lids, heated seat and undercarriage wash.  Then explain the remote controller to someone that doesn't know which end of a hammer to hit her hand with but insists I do it her way.

And no it wasn't MY wife.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
9/10/23 9:00 p.m.

TIL about Gilpin Family Whiskey. Interesting concept, but....

Whiskey made from Type 1 diabetic….

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/10/23 9:01 p.m.

TIL that the taper in MonZora's LR UCA is machined a little too deep, and the unthreaded portion of stud is about 3/32" proud of the surface the nut (a torque-retaining nut with a captive washer) seats on. End result is that the nut is tight AF because it is bottomed on stud, but the taper is not tight. I should not have missed this. Anyway, my solution was to remove about 1 thread from the washer side of the nut via 1/2" bit in drill press. End result: so torque. much tight.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/11/23 7:52 a.m.

TIL that turkey E36 M3 stinks to high heaven!!!  Well, after my dog rolls in it anyway.  Taking the dog out of the back seat of a fiend's car, "Dude, your car smells like Gloucester at low tide!"

Nope, it was the dog.  =~ (

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
9/11/23 8:02 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

There are two turkey farms just up the road from my place. Fortunately the wind rarely blows this way

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
9/13/23 8:47 a.m.

TIL that North Korea and Russia actually share a border.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/13/23 9:06 a.m.
Recon1342 said:
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to CAinCA :

My wife and I have had very good luck with LG appliances. They seem to just... work.

I have had bad luck with an Amana branded LG dryer. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
9/14/23 12:55 a.m.

Diesel trucks as a rule consume engine oil.......uh I'm way new to this.....night all

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/14/23 8:25 a.m.

I am NOT Trolling for a fight !!!

TIL there are moves afoot to cut New York up.  Down staters tend to be more Liberal while upstate is more conservative but have no choice but to finance the NYC silliness.  I've heard people complain about this forever but just learned there is a group and some politicians who want to cut ties.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
9/14/23 9:01 a.m.
Noddaz said:

TIL that North Korea and Russia actually share a border.

And a rail line.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/14/23 10:05 a.m.
914Driver said:

TIL there are moves afoot to cut New York up.  Down staters tend to be more Liberal while upstate is more conservative but have no choice but to finance the NYC silliness.  I've heard people complain about this forever but just learned there is a group and some politicians who want to cut ties.

NYC probably finances the rest of the state, not the other way around.  Relatively cheap infrastructure relative to the size of the economy using it.

This sort of talk happens everywhere. Michigan, PNW states, California, everywhere...

iansane
iansane Dork
9/14/23 10:34 a.m.
914Driver said:

I presumed this was on almost every state's radar? I know there has been talk about Washington Sate splitting left vs right. err West side vs East side for decades.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/14/23 11:16 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
914Driver said:

NYC probably finances the rest of the state, not the other way around.  Relatively cheap infrastructure relative to the size of the economy using it.

This sort of talk happens everywhere. Michigan, PNW states, California, everywhere...

Same in Illinois. And it is the same idea - the big city is costing us money - but the reality is that here, Cook County (Chicago) gets back $0.98 for every $1.00 contributed, the collar counties get back $0.60 for every $1.00, while "downstate" (all the other counties) get $1.70 back for every $1.00 contributed. They're the ones benefiting, from a financial point of view.  EDIT: This is dated by at least 7 years, but I doubt it has changed significantly if at all.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
9/15/23 1:20 p.m.

TIL, from Paul Thurrott: "Fun fact about Microsoft Windows: if you type Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Win-L, LinkedIn will open in your default browser. This is an OS hotkey that cannot be turned off. I know this reads like a joke but it isn't."

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/15/23 1:33 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

TIL, from Paul Thurrott: "Fun fact about Microsoft Windows: if you type Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Win-L, LinkedIn will open in your default browser. This is an OS hotkey that cannot be turned off. I know this reads like a joke but it isn't."

OMG, TIL this ^  (it works...)

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/15/23 1:37 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

OMG, TIL this ^  (it works...)

Holy Crap!!! It does!!!!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/15/23 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

The four blocks around the stock exchange carry the rest of the state. North of Westchester much of the state has a state job or a service job supporting them. The politicians know this which is why even though there has been decades of threatening to leave there's never been a vote on it. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/15/23 7:07 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

That... is an amazing statistic, in the truest sense of the word.

I know the real estate is hideously expensive, but the businesses there logically must make enough money to be able to afford it, else they wouldn't be there.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CBEgnu3fe0Ugu7icxzRc9KWcsnkBFCWbxztIX2VLO4Ow5L7Z0atNUg480vuktSEG