NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/21/23 9:17 a.m.

TIL that a Soul Red ND Miata weighs 15lbs more than a similarly-optioned ND in white.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King UltimaDork
11/21/23 11:26 a.m.

TIL that Alfa used the PRV V6 as a base in its super awesome 155 DTM car.

Alfa Romeo V6 DTM: A 12,000rpm French Engine

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/21/23 1:22 p.m.

Sucker Punch pickles have a pepper in some jars that looks like a delicious cherry pepper.

Do not eat it, no matter how tempting it looks.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/22/23 7:14 p.m.

TIL that there have been several real Fujiwara Tofu shops. Those still operating are 2 in Malaysia, 1 in Singapore, and one in LA (sadly this one looks nothing like the fictional one from the outside). There used to be one in Japan, the only one that was not fan-made, that was themed for the live-action movie and operated like that for a few years, but it closed down and was demolished in the late-2000s. A lot of the themed bits were taken from that for a museum display.

There was also one in Richmond BC that was closed down just a couple months ago for a massive laundry list of health code and permit violations(!)

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
11/23/23 1:07 p.m.

TIL that the iconic BBS basket weave wheel, that they've made a living off of since the 60's, was 100% ripped off by them, as that wheel was invented and produced by Jim Hall for his Chapparals. I think it's a bit wierd that I didn't know that bit of trivia before now but there it is...

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
11/23/23 1:12 p.m.

TIL:

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
11/23/23 1:21 p.m.

Okay, it wasn't today, but i did recently learn that the current Supras look much, much better in person than in photos.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/23/23 3:02 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

If you want fresh Turkey, meet me in Norwalk, CT and bring a bow.  Things are a PITA and all over!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/26/23 8:56 a.m.

TIL a guy I worked with for 20+ years, his father invented the modern bowling ball.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/1/23 9:18 p.m.

TIL that there is a version of UNO called "Show 'em No Mercy" that appears to have some of the rules they softened up in the past, and includes even more evil cards, like Draw 10.  I think I need to pick this game up.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/1/23 9:43 p.m.

TIL, my mailman buys vintage Hotwheels and toys.

Got my mail in the dark and a card fell out, thought it was from a junk mail flier, but no, a business card.

Buying vintage Hotwheels and toys. Signed 'Your Mailman' including name and number. 

Great idea right there.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
12/1/23 10:18 p.m.
fasted58 said:

TIL, my mailman buys vintage Hotwheels and toys.

Got my mail in the dark and a card fell out, thought it was from a junk mail flier, but no, a business card.

Buying vintage Hotwheels and toys. Signed 'Your Mailman' including name and number. 

Great idea right there.

Send him my number, I have 20,000 hot wheels or so.... lol

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/2/23 8:24 a.m.

TIL E·mer·i·tus

/əˈmerədəs/

adjective

• 1.(of the former holder of an office, especially a college professor) having retired but allowed to retain their title as an honor:"emeritus professor of microbiology"
Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
12/5/23 1:44 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

15 pounds in additional paint solids feels high but wow. neat trivia!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/5/23 2:24 p.m.

In reply to Greg Smith :

The dry film weight of the paint on a C-5 Galaxy is heavier than the empty weight of an entire Piper J-3 Cub.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
12/5/23 10:05 p.m.

TIL that the Corvette and Waiting for Godot both arrived in 1953.

I don't know if this means anything; actually, I kind of hope it doesn't.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
12/5/23 10:17 p.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

TIL your mailman has no problem breaking postal rules with that card.  

LOL I actually find it funny. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/6/23 7:56 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Yeah, red has the most pigment of all the paint colors.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/6/23 2:23 p.m.

Today I learned that we've already arrived at the point where malicious AI bots are being used to undermine the safeguards built into other AI bots. 
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/jailbroken-ai-chatbots-can-jailbreak-other-chatbots/

Oh, and Robots Made from Human Cells Can Move on Their Own and Heal Wounds

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/7/23 9:28 p.m.

TIL that a Chevrolet v8 can leak oil from the main bearing bolts that come in from the sides.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/7/23 9:53 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

TIL that a Chevrolet v8 can leak oil from the main bearing bolts that come in from the sides.

I still love the Caddy 4100 that leaked oil from one of the exhaust manifold studs.  And putting a copper washer under the nut stopped the leak. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
12/13/23 4:11 p.m.

TIL that NASA raises longhorns at the Johnson Space Center. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/13/23 4:22 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Streetwiseguy said:

I still love the Caddy 4100 that leaked oil from one of the exhaust manifold studs.  And putting a copper washer under the nut stopped the leak. 

How about the BMW, where the alternator bracket had a pressurized oil passage going through it?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/13/23 4:52 p.m.

TIL that it was Alferd Packer, not Alfred Packer.

NickD said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Streetwiseguy said:

How about the BMW, where the alternator bracket had a pressurized oil passage going through it?

Wow.  Seriously, wow.  That's bad.

Stampie said:

TIL that NASA raises longhorns at the Johnson Space Center.

They want to make the herd shot around the world.

Sorry, I won't do that again.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
12/13/23 4:52 p.m.

TIL that The Bat might actually be a decent watchdog. Last night we went to bed earlier than usual, and I had to get up and go use the bathroom a while after The Dancer & The Bat were sound asleep in bed. This isn't that uncommon- but I took a bit longer than usual and apparently The Bat had fallen more deeply asleep and/or forgotten that I'd gotten up because when I came back down the stairs to the bedroom she woke up barking her little head off as loud as she could and charged down her doggie stairs off the bed and into the hallway to intercept me. She of course stopped barking and instead went to doing her cute wiggly-dance when she realized it was just me, and then turned around and climbed back up into bed and snuggled in. But we now know that if anyone were to try and break into the house during the night that she'd likely wake us up very quickly.

I also learned that Ranch Chicken in a Biskits are even more addictive than the original flavor...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gkBO3vf3wPviYVYS2l7QCJ1Lae1cMnhPgx3Y4PXs19m5hOpIUsyPaZgoNqfQSoKT