M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
6/24/24 11:27 p.m.

Malort tastes like a politician's soul.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/25/24 6:57 a.m.

TIL and was amazed that four people car strip and lay down a 3,000 sq. ft. roof and be packed up by 4:00 with not a nail or shred of paper in sight.

iansane
iansane SuperDork
6/25/24 10:25 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Roofers are nuts, man. It's genuinely impressive and almost unfathomable how fast they can tear up and re-roof a house. Especially if it's a simple one.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
6/25/24 4:05 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

My roof, roughly the size of the one in 914's pic, was changed from slate on lath to shingle, tar paper , and plywood deck in a day. I only saw 3 guys too, and the site is cramped against another building, not just a tree.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/25/24 5:23 p.m.

Said grille is in the back seat.  Bad enough climbing the front, but follow the body line and see the hoop above the gray.  That's for the hood latch and thermostat thingie.

Thermostat is in the radiator tank.  Things get hot, it moves a lever that opens louvers in front of the radiator.

point is - hoop's a killer.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
6/25/24 6:32 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Jack the rear of the car a little at a time until the car has enough angle.

wae
wae UltimaDork
6/26/24 8:59 a.m.

TIL two things:

#1 - The urgent care place doesn't open until 1000.  I figured that people need care urgently first thing in the morning so I drove all the way over there at 0800 to find that out.  They told me to come back after 1000 so I could get my stitches out.

#2 - (And you should totally see this one coming....) How to remove my own stitches at home!

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/26/24 9:09 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I had stitches removed once when I was about 8 and thought, I could do that, and I have ever since.

I've had way more stitches than I would assume is normal.

iansane
iansane SuperDork
6/26/24 10:37 a.m.

Fat Mike owns a large portion of Liquid Death.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/26/24 12:40 p.m.
prowlerjc said

It can't be easily removed?

I'm not a LaSalle expert by any stretch...

Anything can be removed.  The arch over the top is the radiator support hoop that marries up the front end and fenders on each side. It's bolted to the frame and goes up and out from there.   Gain 3" of clearance vs losing more bolts, scratching some paint and and and ....

My son will be here Friday, it WILL be in this weekend.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Dork
6/30/24 10:36 p.m.

TIL that a planet was found with the signs of possible life. It is the first one that I read about on this site:  Webb Space Telescope.

"

Caption
Spectra of K2-18 b, obtained with Webb’s NIRISS (Near-Infrared Imager and Slitless Spectrograph) and NIRSpec (Near-Infrared Spectrograph) displays an abundance of methane and carbon dioxide in the exoplanet’s atmosphere, as well as a possible detection of a molecule called dimethyl sulfide (DMS).

The detection of methane and carbon dioxide, and shortage of ammonia, are consistent with the presence of an ocean underneath a hydrogen-rich atmosphere in K2-18 b.

K2-18 b, 8.6 times as massive as Earth, orbits the cool dwarf star K2-18 in the habitable zone and lies 110 light years from Earth."

Dimethyl sulfide (DMS) is the dominant volatile organic sulfur in global oceans. The predominant source of oceanic DMS is the cleavage of dimethylsulfoniopropionate (DMSP), which can be produced by marine bacteria and phytoplankton.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
6/30/24 11:01 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I got 6 stitches near my eye when I was 18 YO and was told go come back in a week for removal.  Doc snipped knots and pulled them out in 15 seconds.  Shoot - next time I'm not driving over....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/24 11:17 p.m.
M2Pilot said:

Malort tastes like a politician's soul.

Are you sure it's TRUE Malort? Malort comes only from the Malort ward of Chicago.  Everything else should be termed sparkling amber sewer.

wae
wae UltimaDork
7/1/24 2:52 p.m.

TIL about Eric Horne:  In 1944, he was a 14 year old boy when a V2 rocket hit about 150 feet away from him.  He survived with minor injuries and went on to move to Australia and become a police officer.  Three years ago, as a 91 year old man, he noticed something in his cheek and picked it out with a tweezers.  It was a small bit of that very V2 rocket that he had unknowingly been carrying around for 77 years.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/1/24 3:19 p.m.

In reply to wae :

When she was a girl, my mother tripped and fell while carrying a bottle of Coke.  It broke, and she got some glass splinters in the palm of her hand.

About 35 years later, she developed a small zit or what looked like an infected bug bite on the back of her elbow.  It eventually proved to be a sliver of green glass, about 5 mm long, exiting her body after traveling the length of her forearm inside the muscle.  She'd had no idea it was there until then.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/1/24 3:57 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

There was a guy that got in an accident with a a '63 Thunderbird in 1963, was pretty much unharmed. Fifty-one years later, his arms started bothering him and got a weird bulge in it. Went to the doctors and they found the entire 7" long turn signal stalk for said '63 Thunderbird had been embedded in his arm during the wreck, no one had noticed and it had been there until he was lifting something heavy and it disturbed it.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/4/24 7:54 a.m.
mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/4/24 9:56 a.m.

In reply to wae, Duke, and NickD :

My grandpa had some shrapnel in his knee or shin for about 70 years. I remember once he got a mosquito bite there and scratched some out, he was excited to show us. 

procainestart
procainestart SuperDork
7/4/24 12:08 p.m.
Oapfu said:

TIL you can buy a measuring tape marked in decimal feet.  I had never really thought about it before.

Yup, they're used by land surveyors, engineers.

Oapfu
Oapfu Reader
7/4/24 1:16 p.m.
procainestart said:
Oapfu said:

TIL you can buy a measuring tape marked in decimal feet.  I had never really thought about it before.

And an engineer-wannabe doing landscaping and willing to spend $15 for a tape measure rather than convert feet+inches.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/4/24 1:24 p.m.
procainestart said:
Oapfu said:

Tenths. We use it all the time. And its berkeleying stupid.  Oh, we really like the idea of base ten, but all be dammed if we use metric. We'll use units of ten on a measurement that originally has units of 12. Dafuq?

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
7/4/24 1:52 p.m.

TIL that watching Alone while eating/drinking a beer or scotch is a new fun perverse thrill

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/4/24 1:59 p.m.
Appleseed said:
procainestart said:
Oapfu said:

Tenths. We use it all the time. And its berkeleying stupid.  Oh, we really like the idea of base ten, but all be dammed if we use metric. We'll use units of ten on a measurement that originally has units of 12. Dafuq?

When I started rallycross, we timed to the tenths and hundredths of a minute, because that is what rally timers were.

Talk about decimilizing something in base 12!  (Base 60 is just base 12 subdivided to 5ths...)

(....isn't "score" how numbers are spoken in French?)

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/4/24 2:03 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

How can that thing oxidize in an anaerobic environment like inside your body?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
7/4/24 5:29 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Oxygen makes your blood red.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H9K5NHIWwuRPULLIzX2XLgcJ7jn2pTLTeLL9zxbazXQK8EMKQeAdtYFkXuHPuvCN