1 2 3
LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/10/12 10:59 a.m.

Maybe I shouldn't call it a championship yet, as I'm not sure we're quite ready for that, but here are the Trans-Am themed rules that I've divised (with some help of the other GRM B-Spec racers).

First of all, an explanation: The goal here is to make cars that are a reasonable facisimile of the "Golden Era" Trans-Am cars. That is to say, we're trying to get performance as close as possible, but not worrying too much as we want some adjustability and freedom in set up and tuning, and Forza 4's car selection is very "best-of-the-breed" biased, resulting in many cars exceeding the displacement limits that they historically competed in.

Turn up the volume, it's the start of the Trans-Am rules on GRM!!!

Thanks Bob, first up, eligible models:

Other cars will be considered based on feedback from participants and an evaluation race evening in the provisional classes (in game, if you aren't bothering to play online, I'm not too bothered to listen to your opinions as you are clearly not the participating audience, no offense implied).

Over 2.0 Liter Class (500 PI MAX, B Class)

1965 Ford Mustang GT, 1968 Dodge Dart HEMI Super Stock, 1968 Shelby GT-500KR, 1968 Pontiac Firebird, 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S, 1969 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28, 1970 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28, 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T, 1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator, 1970 Ford Mustang BOSS 429, 1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 426 HEMI, 1971 AMC Javelin AMX, 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 1971 BMW 3.0 CSL, 1973 Firebird Trans-Am SD-455, 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS.

Provisional O2 Class (500 PI Max, B Class)

None

Under 2.0 Liter Class (425 PI MAX, C Class)

1965 Alfa Romeo GTA Stradale, 1966 Lotus Cortina, 1969 Nissan Fairlady Z 432, 1969 Toyota 2000GT, 1970 Porsche 914/6, 1971 Nissan Skyline 2000GTR, 1971 Lotus Elan Sprint, 1973 Ford Pinto, 1973 Datsun 510, 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo*

*requires that you engine swap the E30 M3 motor, then swap back to the base engine, this removes the turbocharger, then tune normally.

Provisional U2 Class (425 PI MAX, C Class)

Normal

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/10/12 11:07 a.m.

Over 2.0 Liter Class (500 PI MAX, B Class) - Tuning Options

Some tuning options are MANDATORY, which is pretty self-explanitory, when tuning, you should add all these items first. Other tuning options are MAXIMUM, meaning you are limited to that choice or a less performance item (including stock). It is advised that you add tuning options in this order to avoid missing something and accidentally building an illegal car.

Wheels: American Racing Torque Thrust, Stock Size (Mandatory)

Tire Width: Front 225 MAX, Rear 255 MAX

Brakes: Street (Mandatory)

Suspension: Race (Mandatory)

Sway Bars: Front Race, Rear Race (Mandatory)

Chassis Reinforcement: Race Cage (Mandatory)

Weight Reduction: Race (Mandatory)

Front Aero: Free

Rear Aero: None (Mandatory)

Clutch: Race (MAX)

Transmission: Sport (Mandatory)

Driveline: Sport (MAX)

Differential: Race (Mandatory)

Engine Mods: Free, with the following exceptions:

1) Displacement may not exceed limits of class (5.0L UNLESS the stock displacement exceeds the limits, in which case, displacement may not be changed).

2) No forced induction of any kind permitted.

3) Camshafts are limited to SPORT. (Race raises redline excessively for most models).

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/10/12 11:08 a.m.

Under 2.0 Liter Class (425 PI MAX, C Class) - Tuning Options

Some tuning options are MANDATORY, which is pretty self-explanitory, when tuning, you should add all these items first. Other tuning options are MAXIMUM, meaning you are limited to that choice or a less performance item (including stock). It is advised that you add tuning options in this order to avoid missing something and accidentally building an illegal car.

Wheels: Compmotive Panasport looking ones (Mandatory)

Tire Width: Front 205 MAX, Rear 205 MAX

Brakes: Street (Mandatory)

Suspension: Race (Mandatory)

Sway Bars: Front Race, Rear Race (Mandatory)

Chassis Reinforcement: Race Cage (Mandatory)

Weight Reduction: Race (Mandatory)

Front Aero: Free

Rear Aero: None (Mandatory)

Clutch: Race (MAX)

Transmission: Sport (Mandatory)

Driveline: Sport (MAX)

Differential: Race (Mandatory)

Engine Mods: Free, with the following exceptions:

1) Displacement may not exceed limits of class (2.0L UNLESS the stock displacement exceeds the limits, in which case, displacement may not be changed).

2) No forced induction of any kind permitted.

3) Camshafts are limited to SPORT. (Race raises redline excessively for most models).

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/10/12 11:09 a.m.

Schedule:

For now, we'll be running ad hoc 10 lap races at Laguna Seca, Sears Point Long, Road Atlanta Full and Road America.

Likeley destinations for series races include the abbove as well as Maple Valley Full, Sebring Full, Sedona Club, and Sunset Raceway Full.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/10/12 11:10 a.m.

Tuning Recommendations

I recommend first adding all the mandatory tuning options, then tuning engine, then fine tuning with with Flywheel, Clutch, and Driveline. When tuning the engine, first put the biggest camshaft possible (Stock, Street or Sport) that keeps you under the require PI (B500 Class for Over 2.0L, C425 for Under 2.0L), then messing with other stuff as the increased redline in really helpful. Lastly, consider a stagged front/rear tire width, you should find the car less tailhappy that way.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/10/12 11:10 a.m.

Example Tunes

1966 Lotus Cortina, Under 2.0L Class (B425)

Tires - Street; Front Tire Width - 195/65R14; Rear Tire Width - 205/55R14; Wheels - Compmotive ML; Front Bumper - Forza Motorsport 4 Race Front Bumper; Rear Bumper - Lotus Remove Rear Bumper; Clutch - Race; Transmission - Stock; Driveline - Sport; Differential - Race; Brakes - Stock; Suspension - Race; Front & Rear Sway Bars - Race, Chassis Reinforcement - Full Cage; Weight Reduction - Race; Air Filter - Street; Intake Manifold - Race; Exhaust - Race; Camshaft - Sport; Valves - Sport; Displacement - Street; Compression - Sport; Oil & Cooling - Street; Flywhee - Race.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/10/12 11:11 a.m.

Race Rules and Set-Up

All races will have the following forced controls/options:

Damage: SIMULATION & ALWAYS ON

Force off TCM: YES

Force off STM: YES

Easiest Braking Allowed: ABS OFF

Easiest Steering Allowed: NORMAL

Easiest Shifting Allowed: AUTOMATIC

Forced Camera View: NONE

Disable Wrong Way Indicator: YES

64chrysler300
64chrysler300 Reader
6/10/12 12:52 p.m.

Street brakes not available for the '68 Barracuda. Went with sport, that okay? Minimum displacement is 6.3, why can't forza put small blocks in these things!

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/10/12 12:56 p.m.
64chrysler300 wrote: Street brakes not available for the '68 Barracuda. Went with sport, that okay?

No, but good question. If a specified option is not available, that means the stock choice is of that performance level, ergo, you must default to stock.

For example, the Lotus Cortina was basically a race car, so much of it's stock racing parts have been determined to be modern "street" performance level, so there is no "street" choice.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
6/10/12 1:13 p.m.

Is there a schedule of races yet?

64chrysler300
64chrysler300 Reader
6/10/12 1:20 p.m.
LainfordExpress wrote:
64chrysler300 wrote: Street brakes not available for the '68 Barracuda. Went with sport, that okay?
No, but good question. If a specified option is not available, that means the stock choice is of that performance level, ergo, you must default to stock. For example, the Lotus Cortina was basically a race car, so much of it's stock racing parts have been determined to be modern "street" performance level, so there is no "street" choice.

Roger that, thanks for the clarification.

mutant
mutant New Reader
6/10/12 2:17 p.m.

this is gonna be FUN( like Bspec) thanks for your hard work Lainford...

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/10/12 3:38 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote: Is there a schedule of races yet?

Umm... no. But I'm online now, getting ready for some testing.

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
6/10/12 3:44 p.m.

FWIW I'm available Sun., Tues, Thur., and Sat nights. It sure would be nice if we could just have this series held on the same track as Spec-B after the Spec-B race. I know that would put us finishing too late though.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/10/12 4:37 p.m.

So... I was kinda thinking this might end up being an East Coasters pre-B-spec type thing. That depends of course on the time zone breakdown of those interested. The current GRM Forza meetups are little late for me as I wake up at 5:30 to go to work weekdays. I would also consider Sat or Sun mornings.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/10/12 4:39 p.m.

Hmm... Considered doing the same tracks as B-spec, but might it be easier to do a different track so people don't get confused and try running a B-spec line in their Trans-Am car and blow up the field?

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/10/12 5:17 p.m.

So, my nerdiness is in full force:

1) This series really should be Classic Motorsports branded rather than Grassroots Motorsports. So... Done, it shall be known as the 2012 Vintage Trans-Am Series presented by Classic Motorsports.

2) As a vintage racing series, all cars must have a racing history, specifically Trans-Am. Thus, I'm asking that all competitors run liveries of actual Trans-Am cars. If running car a car without a Trans-Am history, a substitute livery from some other real life period correct racingcar is acceptable.

3) Finally, as a vintage event, this is more about fun than winning, so gentlemanly driving for gentlemanly drivers shall be the rule.

Series points and schedules will be posted soon (likely similar to B-spec but maybe different tracks). For now, practice and tune for Laguna Seca, as that will be my default for now and will find itself on the schedule as either the season opening race or the season finale.

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
6/10/12 5:36 p.m.

I'm in the ETime zone. Sat. or Sun. mornings sounds great.

64chrysler300
64chrysler300 Reader
6/10/12 6:25 p.m.

Gerald Robinson #29 privateer entry. Ran only a few races during the 1970 season...DNF'd most of them. I hope to do better

Getting to actually run wit youse guyz is another matter entirely, but I'll give it a go as I'm able. Oh, yeah. It's been tuned to B500 per the rules....the photo was when it was still a C class car.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/10/12 7:05 p.m.

So, I found a decent site for the O2 cars (http://www.historictransam.com/Cars.html) but U2s are harder. Anybody have a source?

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
6/10/12 7:41 p.m.

In reply to LainfordExpress:

You can find quite a few pictures of the U-2 T/A cars on google images. A lot of Cortinas just ran like the one you get when you buy it on Forza with just a number on the door.

I thought about trying to do mine with an F1 style BRG with yellow trim paint job. I don't know if I can pull it off though. I'm sure it's doable but I wouldn't want to do it if it didn't look right.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
6/10/12 8:03 p.m.

I could swear that CM had a great article about the 2.5 TA reunion at Laguna Seca, but for the life of me, I can't recall which issue it was. I think that at the moment, you're going to see a lot of Datsun 510s.

I'm going to try that motor swap thing with the 2002, though. The Alfa GTA Sprint is another great choice, of course!

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/10/12 8:15 p.m.

I built a 2002 and the engine swap thing does work, the car on the other hand...

Also, retro themed liveries are acceptable.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/11/12 12:15 p.m.

Had fun doing some testing last night. Sounds like people are still having trouble with the tuning. Feel free to ask if you aren't sure.

Also, because I can't help myself, I've started working on two pilot events that could spawn series we could run. The first is a hillclimb (experimental for a full multi-stage rally) and a one-lap of the Nordschleife (pilot for a One Lap of America type series... or One Lap or Europe... or One Lap of Japan).

64chrysler300
64chrysler300 Reader
6/11/12 12:30 p.m.

The Dart is an absolute be-yotch....almost undrivable. Hope somebody has better luck building and tuning that monster than I did . So far, my best two are the '68 Barracuda and the Cougar. Haven't built or tuned any GM cars yet.....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Os5KHhVgxoQZ3KZHqmIx5AIscUYbcxeNzGAmPAExpYNNqWdGUCholBlYr4BKAdA0