PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
4/24/10 4:53 p.m.

I've occasionally wondered what the fate of a couple cars i sold on here ended up being. Figuring other people feel the same way i figured i'd start a thread dedicated to updating the whereabouts of cars people have bought off the classifieds here:

I bought this 89 Civic wagon off of Dankspeed back in February. The car is making a magnificent beater. I took out the rear and passenger seats and have been using it to haul stuff around in lieu of a truck. I also deliver papers with it. It's daily driven despite the muffler falling off, leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold, still not having replaced the doors, etc. It's nice to have a car i can be rough with. I'm hoping to squeeze an autocross in this spring and pretty much drive it till the wheels fall off.

If anyone knows the whereabouts of the 85 MR2, the 86 ASCmclaren Capri, or the Quad 4 CRX i sold on here i'd love to hear about them.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
4/24/10 5:33 p.m.

My father and I ran the Quad4 CRX at the 07 Challenge, and blew the headgasket during the autox, but didn't realize it at the time. Eventually sold it to someone who ran it at the 24 Hours Of Lemons at Nelson Ledges. I think it let go around hour 4, probably due to going lean because of clogged fuel injectors. As far as I know, the guy still owns it, and its in Columbus somewhere.

Bought my 28 Chevy from someone on the board. Its currently disassembled. I had the frame mediablasted, and I've boxed the frame so its no longer about as strong as spaghetti. Its been put aside while I work on the $2010 challenger. Budget is going to be tight, so it might not be on the road for a few more years, but I hope sooner.

Jay
Jay Dork
4/24/10 5:46 p.m.

I'd love to know what happened to this one. The current(?) owner hasn't posted in ages as far as I know. He can chime in here if he's lurking around...

924guy
924guy Dork
4/24/10 6:33 p.m.

Add on here for frankenporsche (referral ad, with link to cl ad.) for $250, actually paid - $200.

Photobucket

Used a Multitude of parts to upgrade this: finally unburried Which had been sitting since Y2K.

And now looks like this (still not done!): Challenge Porsche!Challenge Porsche!

And this is what is left of the frankenporsche: 84 944 frankenporsche

Which may soon become a lemons candidate!!!!

cghstang
cghstang Reader
4/24/10 7:20 p.m.

I bought my EGT from Stan, dd'd and rallycrossed it until the timing belt broke, then nearly recouped my initial investment selling parts to 93celicaGT2 and scrapped the rusty shell.

The SE-R that I had just made it's LeMons debut at American Irony wearing a BMW grille and headlights. It survived with no mechanical issues!

I bought Entropyman's ZX-2 in November, drove it from FL to OH, and am currently dding it. It's also been used for an autox Tnt, Evo Phase 1 school, and about 4 rallycross events since late January.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
4/24/10 9:00 p.m.

I got a Ford Aspire from John Brown for free more than a year ago. I am quite satisfied with it, and I will probably be passing it on to some other forum member in a few months time.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
4/24/10 9:15 p.m.

I bought a very nice Volvo 945T from junkyard dog that is still daily driven. a T5 swap and exhaust upgrade is scheduled for early summer. It's now run a mid 9 second 1/8 mile - not bad for a 20 year old four banger with a car set in the back. The guy in the Mustang that I beat was sure surprised.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
4/25/10 12:38 a.m.

I bought an E30 from Dherr a few years back. It has been a good foray into troubleshooting (electrical problems, still fighting a few to get it to run right), but it is serving as my daily driver when there isnt a load of snow on the ground. I rattlecan'd the car rustoleum blue with a flat black hood and swapped the lowering springs that came with it on

Hopefully it will continue to serve as beater with maintenance through the end of college, whereupon I might give it a s/m-50 swap and make it a manual trans as well.

current to-do list

swap stock springs back on (tired of scraping exhaust)

Trace faulty sensor issue

determine what intermittant moaning sound is (brakes?, pads have enough meat though, new wheelbearing on that corner)

Tie rod ends

fix odometer

ZOO
ZOO Dork
4/25/10 6:51 a.m.

I purchased this from njansenv in February:

It has been awesome so far . . .

njansenv
njansenv Reader
4/25/10 8:00 a.m.

I bought this from ZOO. It's been great so far, aside from some known engine concerns, and my father-in-law's REALLY excited about using it for part of the summer on holidays. I'm looking forward to auto-xing it! From C4

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
4/25/10 12:36 p.m.

I bought my '91 Miata from Marty! and it's doing great. My wife and I sewed in a new window, tuned it up a bit, had a catastrophic balljoint failure, replaced it, and either my wife or I are driving it, well, not every day, but frequently. Maybe the best $500 I've spent in a long, long time.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
4/25/10 3:02 p.m.

I'd like to know what a few cars I've sold are doing.

This Europa has had at least three owners, all GRM posters, since I gave it away. "Free Lotus" should be a warning.

I sold this one to another track junkie. He said it would become a lending car that he could lend to his friends so they could enjoy track days.

I sold the Seven to a guy that browses, but doesn't post. He's built his own 100 mpg Seven and bought a Miata powered Seven. Last I heard this one was for sale again, but it's been a while...

This Miata was a built-to-the-hilt STS car that went to another autocrosser in Austin. He couldn't afford the 2812 Koni shocks, so they stayed with me. He said he'd autocross and track it, but I haven't done much with the Austin crowd since then and don't know if the car ever gets out.

I just bought this one. It will likely go to a friend that wants a dedicated competition car. It's a 65k mile 1980 Celica that's been sitting for four years.

I've still got this one. I figured it would be an easy sale, but it's been a while since I put it up for sale and haven't had a single person come look at it in person.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
4/25/10 4:43 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: My father and I ran the Quad4 CRX at the 07 Challenge, and blew the headgasket during the autox, but didn't realize it at the time. Eventually sold it to someone who ran it at the 24 Hours Of Lemons at Nelson Ledges. I think it let go around hour 4, probably due to going lean because of clogged fuel injectors. As far as I know, the guy still owns it, and its in Columbus somewhere.

His name is Dave. He's driving the Wartburg with us at Summit this year but he still has the Quad 4 CRX and is working on rebuilding it to race again.

The car was a stellar hit with the judges at Lemons.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
4/25/10 5:17 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Thanks for the reminder of his name. He was kind enough to let me crew for him at the race, and I had a great time. Glad to hear it'll be moving under its own power again.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
4/25/10 5:59 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: I bought my '91 Miata from Marty! and it's doing great. My wife and I sewed in a new window, tuned it up a bit, had a catastrophic balljoint failure, replaced it, and either my wife or I are driving it, well, not every day, but frequently. Maybe the best $500 I've spent in a long, long time.

Glad you still like the car though I am dismayed about the ball-joint. All ball joints were replaced last spring (the uppers were newer used pieces and the bottoms were new). I do hope nobody was hurt or nothing else was damaged.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
4/25/10 6:40 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: In reply to JThw8: Thanks for the reminder of his name. He was kind enough to let me crew for him at the race, and I had a great time. Glad to hear it'll be moving under its own power again.

Doh! We were there, dont know if I got to meet you or not. Its always good to put real faces with board members. I was the creepy bald guy playing with the Wartburg obviously.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
4/25/10 8:07 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Yeah, I think we talked shortly while I was checking the car out. I'm sure you talked to a lot of people that weekend, though

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
4/25/10 9:02 p.m.

In reply to Marty!:

Nah, it was low-speed. I was actually doing the sharp turn into the drivethrough at Starbucks. We towed it home and replaced it - no problems other than that! :) Mrs Lugnut and I both drive it all the time, and still think we got a fantastic deal!

I sold a Laser Turbo here on the board. I wonder how that car is.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
1/14/11 9:34 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I bought a very nice Volvo 945T from junkyard dog that is still daily driven. a T5 swap and exhaust upgrade is scheduled for early summer. It's now run a mid 9 second 1/8 mile - not bad for a 20 year old four banger with a car set in the back. The guy in the Mustang that I beat was sure surprised.

Well it's about time this got updated. A heater core, a new (bigger) turbo, a head gasket, a bunch of coolant lines and a few fluid leaks later (all fixed) I am ready for it to go away. The rest of you?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/14/11 9:42 a.m.
cghstang wrote: I bought my EGT from Stan, dd'd and rallycrossed it until the timing belt broke, then nearly recouped my initial investment selling parts to 93celicaGT2 and scrapped the rusty shell.

I think only the door panels, transmission, and (now) incredibly blown struts are the only thing still in use on this car.

All of them will be scrapped in the coming months.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OUfFd2dtLrC3p5c9Qf2ZlvdqIveKDZhVkPhZ3pmgEP0wHEJMzeIm9Q7EIr9C88Ls