Luke
Luke Dork
1/8/09 9:40 p.m.

Take the running gear from one of the most blatant symbols of automotive capitalism (the Porsche Cayenne), shroud with way outdated/old-school Russian bodywork, then decorate with subtle Stalin mural. Personally I think the end result is nothing short of awesome. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/07/bloc-rockin-beat-er-volga-gaz-21-meets-porsche-cayenne/

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/8/09 9:56 p.m.

Very, um, interesting...

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/8/09 9:59 p.m.

Sweet commie wheels! Where did he get those, Macy*s?

Do you have Macy*s in Australia, Luke?

A few years ago there was a really sweet Volga with BMW V12 power, I think. Maybe V8.

Edit: It was V12! http://www.ladaparts.ru/hotrods.php

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
1/8/09 10:21 p.m.

Those russian euro-based hot rods look pretty nice. Very tastefully done.

Luke
Luke Dork
1/8/09 10:22 p.m.

In reply to Carson: Nah, the largest American chain-store we have is K-mart, and Target. A quick google search reveals Macy's red star logo, though

That Volga/Bimmer hotrod is incredible

914Driver
914Driver Dork
1/9/09 5:57 a.m.

Comrades, I've left DNA on my keyboard.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
1/9/09 7:06 a.m.

OMGeebus, that volga 21 / BMW 850 is ridiculous! with the chopped top and lowered stance, they really nailed the shape of that car. i'll be back in a little bit. I gotta go, uh, answer the phone or something. yeah, that's it.

akamcfly
akamcfly New Reader
1/9/09 10:58 a.m.

I think the Stalin pic is in bad taste.

That guy was a berkelying butcher....

Cool car though - really cool.

mgrinshpon
mgrinshpon New Reader
1/19/09 10:32 a.m.
akamcfly wrote: I think the Stalin pic is in bad taste. That guy was a berkelying butcher....

My dad and grandfather told me all sorts of stories about cars in Leningrad and Moscow. Basically, there were two kinds of cars- the Volga and the everything else. Volgas were for high ranking government officials and suped up Volgas were for KGB and various other secret police people. Everything else like a Moscvitch VAZes and GAZes are for regular people but they were pretty bad and horrendously expensive for the income of the time.

My grandfather told me about how a friend of his got taken away in a midnight black Volga never to be seen again, presumably to work in a gulag somewhere. The image of Stalin is quite fitting for this car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VE7ipxj1z0dxDqdrFqENHtZehxO7hyvqTGcNFUZUG6bLmjANHkrDdUQGpzydpOKy