Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
3/19/24 5:28 p.m.

Wife has one oak door I sanded and primed - she wants to spray latex paint.

The right Wagner electric is $225 $260- one door to start. 

Ard there any sprayers for latex interior paint?

If all goes well she may spray more doors.  

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
3/19/24 5:52 p.m.

I have the Graco Magnum X5 - its gonna be pretty comparable to any Wagner offering.  I got a deal on it which is why I have it.

At this point I have run about 35 gallons through it and love it with all my love.  

For good finish or painting anything in bulk - its the way to fly.  

You can get some nice stuff that makes cleanup a breeze too - sleeves for the lines, covers for the pump head, etc.  You can wrap the gun in a plastic bag and it will sit for a day or 2 without needing to be cleaned which is also nice.  

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/20/24 6:34 p.m.

I'll second the Graco Magnum.  I got the X7, which is the wheeled one that you put a pickup right down in the bucket.  I also have a couple Wagner hand-held ones that are fine, compact, and lay a pretty decent coat.  It takes a bit of practice to get it to lay a nice, non-drippy coat, but it can be done.  But the first time I held that X7 gun in my hand, it had me laying color like a darned pro.  Very little overspray and excellent control.  Easier than a rattle can of Rustoleum.

I think the Wagners I have are the QX2.  I think they were in the $70 range.  Great for theater where viewers are 20 feet away, but I'm not able to make a pretty coat of paint with it.

I did get a couple HF copies and they are really bad.  Wagners use a fan of sorts to aerosolize the paint, but the HF uses a loud buzz pump which just kind of chucks random drops of paint in a vague direction.

Don't be afraid of clean up with larger pumps.  The first time you will curse the world for your choices, but I find that cleanup on my X7 doesn't take any longer than getting all the paint out of a roller, it just has more steps.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/20/24 6:44 p.m.

i have a NIB wagner sprayer i should sell. 
its a "Wagner Spraytech 0529010 FLEXiO 590 Handheld HVLP Paint Sprayer," if that works for your needs, lets make a deal!

i bought it to paint our kitchen cabinets before realizing a sponge roller was what i needed. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/20/24 7:13 p.m.

I used a Wagner many, many moons ago. Really hated it. Mostly because it was so damned loud. 

My weapon of choice now is the Graco Magnum X7.

The setup and cleanup time for an airless sprayer would mean that I would never use it for just one door.  If you do it right, there's a solid hour of setup and cleanup. The actual spraying is less than a minute.

Having said that, here's a trick to smaller jobs.  Buy an extra hose- the shortest one you can find. I've got one that's less than 10'.. it might only be 6'.  If you use the longer hose that comes with the rig, it takes a quarter of a gallon just to prime the hose.  And every drop of that will have to be cleaned up later.

The short hose is my choice when I can work on the ground with the equipment very close to the work.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/20/24 7:15 p.m.

I think all sprayers can spray interior latex paint.  It's about mixing it to the proper viscosity, and using the right tip.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
3/20/24 7:23 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

They don't - some of the Wagner $79 is only for stain. Then again you might be right. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/20/24 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

Or I could be wrong! 😂

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
3/21/24 1:01 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Pm sent

where u live?

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
3/21/24 1:53 p.m.

Datsun, i think you live in the chicago burbs, you can borrow mine (I'm in lombard) if you want.  this is the one that I have.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PGQI48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/21/24 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

Im in Florida, Deland specifically. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
3/21/24 7:58 p.m.

You can also spray latex paint with a Harbor Freight HVLP.  Drill the nozzle bigger and thin the paint a little.  Get a crappy door or some scraps for practice first.

Agree with the statements of not using a gun on a hose for a small job, they eat the paint.

If you really want it done right and this is all you plan on doing, farm it out to a restoration place.  I was real happy at the cost to get some stuff of mine done when you figure in the $/hr of your time, how good it turned out, and all I had to do was stroke the check.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
3/21/24 8:48 p.m.

also every time i sprayed latex paint even after thinning it /w the latex paint thinner it comes out and ends up with orange peel.  My cousin and aunt painted kitchen cabinets a few years back using speciality kitchen cabinet paint and when applied with the correct roller flattened and came out very nice.  

Something to think about.  this is the latex thinner I used:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flood-Floetrol-1-qt-Clear-Latex-Paint-Additive-FLD6-04/100198078?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D24-024_020_PAINT_SPRYR-NA-Multi-NA-PLALIA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-FY21_Sundries_PLALIA&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D24-024_020_PAINT_SPRYR-NA-Multi-NA-PLALIA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-FY21_Sundries_PLALIA-71700000075826922-58700006496910114-92700058691144845&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwte-vBhBFEiwAQSv_xYwQMRLuypIOPteEetWKLx442-ga3PgJkuz5z7fRsnLI5BqyiRVrwBoChmYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RVha4Gvoa2QFPrnzYUmE2QhQOMzaNC2AOnayDa901jB8UAdr4f9Pz2s6KGKoi6JM