confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
10/6/08 8:19 a.m.

Saturday night, I took my girlfriend down to the school I graduated from a year ago to show her around. We walked around and I showed her the sights - it was a nice way to burn some time between going to dinner and meeting my brother to go down to the city for some Saturday night fun.

On our way out of the school back to the car, we had to cross a four-lane road on which my car was parked. Just after we crossed, I found a dollar bill on the ground. 'Sweet! This has been a pretty damn good night!', I thought. So we are walking north on the road now to my car which was about 100 feet away and I saw this black Audi parked in a drop-off zone which stuck off of the road so you could let people in and out of the shuttles or cars. I thought nothing of it and kept walking.

When we were 30 feet away from it, I heard squeeling tires coming from a car headed south. I looked at the car that was screeching, then I looked at the Audi which was perpendicular to the south-bound lanes trying to do a U-turn to go North right out of the drop-off zone. Then I looked back at the moving car and sinister thoughts started flowing through my head. We were about to see a car accident. BAM! Oh boy.

The car that hit the Audi was probably moving at 45 or 50 mph before she hit the brakes (it's a 30 zone for good reason!). Really, she was driving way too fast. She also failed to react in time because there should have been plenty of time to stop without trouble. But she didn't. I was going to run over to them to see if they were alright, but the Audi driver was pissed off and all occupants in both cars were just fine. Campus police showed up immediately as well, so we thought we were best to be on our way.

I really can't say who was at fault. Normally, I would have just put the blame on the Audi driver. I really do have to commend the south-bound driver's efforts to avoid the accident. Once she did react, she tried to maneuver her car to the rear of the Audi and in between a bunch of parked cars. She almost made it (although, she was driving the car right up onto a sidewalk). But I guarantee that she was speeding, so maybe she'll get a speeding ticket or something. I do feel bad for everyone involved, but it's only a car and it can be fixed with money. Nobody was hurt and that's all that really matters.

(Yeah, on the interstate this morning, I almost saw another! A fellow in a mini van dropped his left tires off the road into the dirt and over-corrected. He went accross both lanes sideways and just got her wrestled down to a stop just in time to tap a curb or bump on the right shoulder. The only damage was to the driver's nerves. He wasn't doing anything wrong - he was probably driving 70 in the 65 zone - his concentration probably just lapsed.)

Edited for poor grammar, misuse of common terminology, and for offending dead-end streets with only one inlet / outlet everywhere.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
10/6/08 8:24 a.m.

Cars already in traffic have the right-of-way over those entering.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
10/6/08 8:42 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Cars already in traffic have the right-of-way over those entering.

No doubt. But I think the driver of the south-bound car needs a speeding ticket. But that's it.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
10/6/08 8:49 a.m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cul-de-sac

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
10/6/08 9:09 a.m.

Thanks, Per.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
10/6/08 9:13 a.m.
confuZion3 wrote:
914Driver wrote: Cars already in traffic have the right-of-way over those entering.
No doubt. But I think the driver of the south-bound car needs a speeding ticket. But that's it.

a girl i knew in high school had an accident almost exactly like that. some lady pulled out in front of her and she T-boned the car. she got a speeding ticket and the accident was called no-fault iirc.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0sXfLCekVrUFGXQqZxXONx4viKNrxsqMfgpeBivBZBscRk3tUFhBJFcaiDPXTXF3