1 2 3
HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
9/16/09 7:42 p.m.

I actually have a couple:

Fiat Abarth 500 (its coming next year or the year after) Ford Fiesta Honda Fit MINI Cooper Colbalt SS/T WRX

Now, rather then buying any of these, I'd probably (and will next year) take $5k and find the mint-est Swift GTi I can, then drive that in the summer. For the winter, I'll drive one of the 5 beater ones I have, an all the time I'll get the same or better gas mileage in a car I know and love ;)

dxman92
dxman92 New Reader
9/16/09 8:20 p.m.

I wanted the Yaris hatch and already came home with one :). Probably i'd say a Mini or a Fit if one was available with manual everything!

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
9/16/09 9:20 p.m.

370 Z

mazda speed 3

fiesta RS (hopefully some day)

mustang GT with as few options as possible

volvo c30

saab 9-3 sport combi w/ manual gear box

I'd give the genisis coupe a chance

BMW 1 series or z4 coupe

mini cooper s with as few options as possible

mitsubishi lancer ralliart (seems like a smokin' deal bang for buck wise)

subi WRX

infinity g or m series sedans (probably not grass roots priced unless late model cpo counts)

suzuki sx4 sport (but I liked the arieo more)

suzuki grand vitara (don't knock it until you try it)

P71
P71 SuperDork
9/16/09 9:21 p.m.

Hmmm... Well, none of the Subaru redesigns are any good, so pass on those. I like the Suzuki SX4, but enough to ever buy one.

2009/2010 I like the Genesis Coupe (3.8GT or 2.0T Track), the 09 MS3 (the restyle is FUGLY!), and the ummmm... Can't really think of anything else BRAND NEW for under 30K.

Seriously looking at from the last few years though, I am still smitten by both the 04-06 GTO and the 03-04 Mach 1 as well as a 97-02 WS6 and/or SS. SRT4 Neons are what I almost bought before the P71 as well. (Dealers wouldn't stop being jerks)

Well, I do also like the FIAT 500 (if they bring the Abarth over here I will be really, really happy but the 695 Tributo Ferrari would actually have by checkbook open NOW!!!).

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
9/16/09 10:59 p.m.

HappyAndy, I've driven your whole list

I'd love a retractable roof MX-5, but not the one with the silly grin. A couple of years old would be great.

I wouldn't really call an NSX affordable (not for me, anyway) but damn, I'd love one of those.

For a great daily, I could absolutely live with the Fit. And it's cuuuuuuute.

Another vote for the Fiesta - it's cute, tight and easy to throw around a slalom, or a metropolis.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
9/16/09 11:38 p.m.

I think the 2009 MS3 is a clear improvement in the looks department.

The Genesis Track Edition is one I'd settle for...but if it aint light it just aint right

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
9/16/09 11:52 p.m.

The possibilities of a fiesta ST or a fiat 500 abarth both sound promissing. I wanted a mini cooper S......

When i drove the C30 i loved its looks and i thought the seat was more comfy than the mini but it didnt feel as sporting.

4eyes
4eyes New Reader
9/17/09 5:06 a.m.

Mazdaspeed 3 VW R32 used : M3,911,09 Subie STI

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/17/09 5:26 a.m.

Gee, this is harder than I imagined.

MINI Cooper

Subarus got ugly, so they are out. So is the restyled Mustang (just ugly enough for me to say, WTF did they do to my car?). Challenger is too expensive. Elise is too expensive. I'd probably add the Hyundai Genesis coupe. Can I get a BMW for the price? I guess I could get a stripper 1 series. Haven't seen a Fiesta, so can't commit.

So, the only one I'm truly passionate about is the MINI. One car. Gawd.

Luke
Luke Dork
9/17/09 5:42 a.m.

I'd buy the "track version" of the Renault Megane, or a Focus RS (seen here on Top Gear - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfGBRAb6vRc). I'm pretty sure either of those would end up costing more than 30K, though.

I'd also consider a new Fiat 500. Abarth, of course. If not, the turbo diesel.

DIASISS
DIASISS New Reader
9/17/09 6:59 a.m.

In reply to captainzib:

sega rules!!!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
9/17/09 7:56 a.m.

Being a "Dad" of three small kids, I want a Dodge Magnum (with the 300c nose).

would need to be outfitted with a hitch.

otherwise a chevy/ford 3/4 ton 4dr 4x4 (hell, it snows significantly here)

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
9/17/09 8:18 a.m.

JCW MINI Cooper, MazdaSpeed3, 5door WRX, Cobalt SS with the factory ECU upgrade.

I'd say a 1 series, but I can't stand behind BMW making the car a little piglet.

Slightly used? C5 Z06, STi, etc.

But I really want a MINI since driving one a few years ago. I mght pick up one this time next year as a DD.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
9/17/09 8:47 a.m.

New Swift GT Genesis 2.0T R-spec Forte 2.4L 6-spd Last of the Cobalt SS Sedans

BAMF
BAMF Reader
9/19/09 8:07 a.m.

On the definitely list:

Mini Cooper S Convertible

Mazda Rx8

Mazda MX-5 PRHT

pre 2010 Mazdaspeed3 (already own the non turbo)

Fiat Abarth 500 convertible

Solstice GXP Coupe (with targa roof)

Maybe list:

Genesis coupe 2.0t

VW GTI

Jetta Sportwagen TDI

Honda Ridgeline (would be on definitely list with a diesel)

walterj
walterj Dork
9/19/09 9:22 a.m.
  • Silverado 2500HD Duramax crew cab short box
  • Porsche Cayman
  • Solstice GXP / Sky Redline
  • Abarth 500 looks cool but need to touch one

BUT... if used cars were allowed, I wouldn't want one from this list because there are far more awesome things available.

lewbud
lewbud New Reader
9/20/09 9:48 a.m.

If we're talking only new stuff, about the only thing out there with acceptable performance would be a Mazdaspeed3. A local stealership almost had me a couple of months ago. I got a letter from them saying they wanted to buy back my 03 GT. I looked down the list of cars they were discounting and didn't really see anything that caught my fancy, then there was an 08 Roush 427R for 12k off sticker plus my trade in. Fortunately when I opened that letter I was getting ready to go to work and it was the last day of that promotion. Would have had no life and had to eat Ramen for the next 60 mos, but was doable. Got to agree with ddavidv, the new Mustang is definitely challenged in the looks department.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
9/20/09 1:08 p.m.

MMM! They made a Mustang track package! And they weren't talking about the drag strip! Brakes, sway bars, strut tower bracing, crazy axle ratio... Yummy!

I'll take mine in Grabber Blue, please.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior New Reader
9/20/09 1:37 p.m.

Genesis 2.0t track package...other than that...new-ish WRX or 335i, friend of mine picked up a 335i for a screaming deal, and it's insane how deceptively fast that car is.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/20/09 2:42 p.m.

New Mustang GT, manual, stripe and spoiler delete, 3.73 gear pack.

One of those Indian Diesel pick ups.

If I went a little over budget, a 135i with the sport or M pack

Taurus X or Freestyle, I just like the lines on those.

How much jeep can I get for $30K?

keethrax
keethrax Reader
9/20/09 4:10 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Being a "Dad" of three small kids, I want a Dodge Magnum (with the 300c nose). would need to be outfitted with a hitch. otherwise a chevy/ford 3/4 ton 4dr 4x4 (hell, it snows significantly here)

I was shocked how well my mazdaspeed3 ate up big piles of snow with a cheapo set of snow tires on it.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg New Reader
9/20/09 4:41 p.m.

I definitely have to second (or third, or forth, or whatever we're up to now) the Mazdaspeed3, the Subaru Impreza WRX, the VW GTI 2 door (the 4 door looks too stretched out imho), the VW Jetta TDi sedan, definitely a Miata (I actually kinda like the new grinning one. looks happy), the Genesis Coupe (regardless of engine or trim level, they look like very good cars, although being tall I'd LOVE to be able to get a 2.0T or a 3.8T without the sunroof), definitely, undoubtedly the Mini S, possibly a Mini JCW (might be going a tad out of budget, though), the Cobalt SS 2 door, and I'm not entirely opposed to the Volvo C30, Honda Fit Sport, or a BMW 1 series (although that's starting to get into some more serious money). oh, and the Camaro LS doesn't really look that bad either, and I've got no reservations with having "just" a V6, since it is a 300+ HP V6 that almost certainly has some room for improvement in the power department

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
9/20/09 5:48 p.m.

mostly just repeating, but

Abarth, Genesis 2.0T, Taurus SHO, and 370Z...

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/29/09 1:42 p.m.

Mitsu Lancer Sportback Ralliart

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe New Reader
9/29/09 4:09 p.m.

Fiat Abarth 500 Totally. Or Fiesta RS.

Not much of the bigger stuff under 30K. I would love a Lamborghini Gallardo used in the next couple of years though.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
viLhuhQxeXmEcS0khVRLWWcqpyK6G1ey3uGPNYYeUYFT469QaMx5nMxSL2CCMfb6