4 5 6 7 8
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/2/24 9:12 a.m.

How about some unexpected live music? Last night, here at the house, we could hear music–and it was live music.

We found it while taking the dog for a walk: They had a band at our local skatepark. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/4/24 12:16 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

That's awesome! We are out in the 'burbs so we don't get that. 

But we are talking about selling our house, moving back into the city core, getting something like a 4Runner and a small camper trailer since we work from home. 

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
4/4/24 12:44 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Gary Numan is killing it, for the last 10 years. Lots of people thought he was dead/retired before that. His daughter Raven just released her first single, she's awesome too.

Great photos!

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/10/24 6:49 p.m.

Alestorm!

Also one of openers was pretty good if you like power metal, Glyph was the name 

David S. Wallens
4/10/24 8:35 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

It was cool. There’s something about live music at a ramp.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/10/24 8:53 p.m.

A week ago, Applewife and I caught TWRP at Thalia Hall. Think power funk.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/15/24 5:11 p.m.

Over the weekend I saw the Classic Rock Show,  which was fun. Basically a really, really good cover band that mainly tours the UK and Europe.  This show was part of their first US tour. 

The guitar player on the right is YouTuber Pete Thorn who has also toured with Melissa Ethridge, Don Henley and Chris Cornell. 

David S. Wallens
4/15/24 5:19 p.m.

Free jazz last night in DeLand, Fla.

And a total unexpected treat. I went to DeLand to meet a friend for bagels. After saying our good-byes, I saw the sign on a light pole: jazz 2-4 today. 

Totally worth it. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/15/24 10:15 p.m.

Went to Primus, Puscifer, a Perfect Circle last week for Maynard's 60th.  Amazing! 

10001110101 Reader
4/16/24 5:36 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

Went to Primus, Puscifer, a Perfect Circle last week for Maynard's 60th.  Amazing! 

We are headed to the Kansas City show in a couple weeks, I can't wait.

Went and saw Amigo the Devil and Dropkick Murphys a couple weeks back, going to see Uncle Lucius on Friday night.

David S. Wallens
4/16/24 9:45 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Nice. And tonight it was (more) free jazz in DeLand. 

Will
Will UberDork
5/2/24 7:24 p.m.

Night Club at the Masquerade in Atlanta last night.

David S. Wallens
5/2/24 8:00 p.m.

In reply to Will :

Glad to see that the Masquerade is still out there. Haven’t been to the current location but remember the original fondly: Suicidal Tendencies, D.R.I., the Dead Milkmen and some others. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/2/24 8:44 p.m.

We saw Celtic Women last weekend(for the 3rd time). We were easily in the youngest 20% of the audience. 

I might actually break my rule about no more big rock/metal shows though. A drummer I used to play with years ago is in a band opening for Marilyn Manson & 5 Finger Death Punch, and they're playing in town later this year. 

Will
Will UberDork
5/3/24 10:36 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

At this point I think I've been to every section of the current location. The Interrupters in Heaven, Save Ferris in Hell, tiLLie in Purgatory and Night Club at the Altar. All good shows, but the smaller sections (Purgatory and the Altar) are the most fun.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/3/24 11:07 a.m.

Gary Numan is one of my faves from that time and place. I've been listening to a lot of Tubeway Army recently.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
5/3/24 11:17 a.m.

A night of music and conversation with Lyle Lovett and Lisa Loeb. 

David S. Wallens
5/3/24 12:35 p.m.

Just bought tickets for Testament in October. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/3/24 11:01 p.m.

Tonight. Me First and  The Gimme Gimmees.
Tonight, Me First and The Gimme Gimmes. Fun.

5/4/24 8:23 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Will :

Glad to see that the Masquerade is still out there. Haven’t been to the current location but remember the original fondly: Suicidal Tendencies, D.R.I., the Dead Milkmen and some others. 

New location is the old Underground Atlanta. Still feels weird to me after being gone a while and coming back to that. The new place that went in the old Masquerades is shared office workspace stuff and a buddy sent some pictures after doing some wiring inside. I hope people enjoy their conference call in the same place I crowdsurfed at a Meat Puppets show.  

David S. Wallens
5/4/24 1:06 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Man, seeing that photo of the original Masquerade. That’s hallowed ground. 

David S. Wallens
5/4/24 1:17 p.m.

So, quick Masquerade story. My brother and I went to a show there with our friend Steve. We got there early, so we’re just milling about out front. I guess we looked the most grown-up because the bands kept asking us questions–like, where to park their van, where to load in, etc. 

David S. Wallens
5/4/24 1:30 p.m.

And, hey, we also saw Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. We got there about 10 minutes before show time and just walked up to the front row. UltraBomb, the first band, killed it: Greg Norton (Hüsker Dü) on bass, Finny McConnell (The Mahones) on guitar/vox and Jamie Oliver (UK Subs) on drums. Bought their album on the way out and very gracious–including their merch crew. 

I wore my Death Angel shirt–gotta represent–and, towards the end of the Gimme Gimmes set, one of the crew guys came over and gave me these:

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
5/4/24 2:16 p.m.

Going to see Hot Water Music and Off With Their Heads tonight.

5/4/24 8:45 p.m.
EvanB said:

Going to see Hot Water Music and Off With Their Heads tonight.

Hell yea. I'm headed up to Chicago for Hot Water Music/ Tim Barry next month. 

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TLM5TpzAEP0Xp4R0s0L7peRM7MIjzK4IPI3yAP55xyrFK12lHc9kaKjieMkMxcUt