1 2
Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/4/08 4:07 p.m.

As inspired by the common thread in the GRM forum. Argue over what sort of beer I should make.

I'm setting up a brewing session for friends, family, and cow-orkers at a local microbrewery. Based on the number of people we'll probably do 2 or 3 kettles. Can't make up my mind on what the second and third should be.

Price is not an issue. I do not want anything "ordinary". If we could go out and buy pretty much the same thing at any grocery store, what's the point in spending extra money to brew it? I'd like a decent variety of beers. And I want something that everyone will enjoy.

The first beer I want to do is a Saison. A traditional Belgian farmhouse ale. I've done them before and they're my favorite. So that's decided. But I'm unsure about second and third choices, and which other beer to do if I only do two.

My current #2/#3 are: a Dopple Bock, and a Belgian styel Trippel.

But other good ideas include: Vanilla Cream Stout, Belgian Grand Reserve, a Barleywine a hoppy "steam" ale, pretty much anything.

Although we can do pretty much anything, a brewing menu can be found here: http://www.brewitup.com/Menus/Brewing_menu-2008.pdf

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
9/4/08 4:11 p.m.

Cherry Wheat Ale. Add lots and lots of cherrys.

Can you add caffeen to beer? What would that be like? Add a poop-load of it and you've got "ZAP! Energy Beer". I'll bet that would go over great with sports car enthusiasts at the track - it'll keep them alert and refreshed while behind the wheel.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/4/08 4:13 p.m.

They have done a cherry honey wheat beer that was really good (the brewery, not any party). That's definitely an idea.

To the best of my knowledge, caffeine is not an option to add... nor would I want to.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
9/4/08 4:15 p.m.

Can you add chocolate? I think I've heard of somebody doing that somewhere.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/4/08 4:17 p.m.

Chocolate isn't on the menu... but I know it's not uncommon in beers. I'd have to get details. Hmm... a chocolate stout or chocolate porter would be tasty.

I tend to prefer more traditional beers, over ones with a bunch of flavors added.

SupraWes
SupraWes HalfDork
9/4/08 4:17 p.m.

A smoked porter, a bock, Pumpkin Ale, those sound good to me right now.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
9/4/08 4:19 p.m.

Our local brewpub has a green chili brew...it's unusual, but a very popular choice. And we're in Missouri (!)

It doesn't sound like that would probably be an option to you...but it never hurts to think outside the box.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd HalfDork
9/4/08 4:19 p.m.

New Haven Brewing Company (now defunct) used to brew Blackwell Stout. I don't know about caffeine, but it had a really rich coffee flavor, without tasting like you're drinking coffee. It was outstanding, although it was a little full for the warm weather. Much better in the winter.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
9/4/08 4:21 p.m.

If I could have a Fullers ESB right now I'd be all over it... so... make that

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/4/08 4:24 p.m.

Well, we won't be brewing for probably another 2 weeks, and it will probably take 6 weeks before we bottle. So we won't be enjoying our beer until November anyway. So... wintery beers will be fine, although this is still Cali.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/4/08 4:29 p.m.

baltic porter Done.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/4/08 4:33 p.m.
ignorant wrote: baltic porter Done.

Selfish bastard!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/4/08 4:34 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
ignorant wrote: baltic porter Done.
Selfish bastard!

touche

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/4/08 4:37 p.m.

My taste in beers is just too common for me to offer an option. Oh, well.

mtn
mtn Dork
9/4/08 4:39 p.m.

I'm in college. Beer is beer. AKA nectar of the gods

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/4/08 4:41 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: My taste in beers is just too common for me to offer an option. Oh, well.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
9/4/08 4:42 p.m.

Ah, you'll soon learn the ways of the beer young sir. All beers are not created equal, life is too short for cheap beer or bad wine.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow New Reader
9/4/08 4:48 p.m.

So, Beer'n'Drift at Salanis's house in november...

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/4/08 4:53 p.m.

Hmm... I just had another idea. There's no reason we can't craft our very own beer.

I'm thinking... a deep red ale, some sort of fancy-dancy expensive yeast that needs to be imported that will provide unfolding spicy layers of flavor... and match that with a medium amount of... some hops... I'd need to pick that by smell. Something that will provide some kick, but otherwise blend well.

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
9/4/08 5:18 p.m.

The Best Beer Is Free Beer

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/4/08 5:31 p.m.

Actually, I'll have that too... I have a "free brewing" card for this place that will be filled up after the session and entitle me to a free batch of beer. I've decided to only share the free beer with the dedicated few who have been to all of the brewing sessions I've hosted.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Reader
9/4/08 5:46 p.m.

My vote is for a chocolate stout or a Witbier type thing. Maybe a honey beer too. I like those.

laz
laz New Reader
9/4/08 8:09 p.m.

I have a coworker who brews a traditional scotch ale with the addition of a full bottle of Macallan scotch in it. He calls it "Mac Daddy". It's quite tasty, and it ends up at 10%+ alcohol content so it sneaks up on poor, unsuspecting casual drinkers. It's perfect for the "cold" Norcal winter ;)

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe New Reader
9/4/08 8:25 p.m.

Any good links on the subject or recipes? I have only brewed once... It was cool, but was with a kit I bought from Harbour Freight...

First time brewer + harbour freight kit.... I'll let you guess the results...

(actually I lie, we brewed a small batch in one of my chemistry classes )

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
9/4/08 10:25 p.m.

Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rC2DoF0kJpJMM9NlEbB66U7d2qZuIuK52uChlJnoXubuAyMtaenUfLg6W9ivZmcy