1 2 3
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
9/27/24 5:28 p.m.

Tallahassee no longer has an engine machine shop.  Im also not sure they have any sort of CNC machining?  May be very wrong on that one.

But something in that realm.

There are enough large diesel truck outfits that the first should be covered. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
9/27/24 5:46 p.m.

I like this topic - I'm just turned 62 YO (I know, WTF did this happen) and I'm looking for a retirement gig - you know, sell E36 M3 at a flea market or car shows?  Outsource the booth manning for GRM/CM in the Midwest?  Handyman? Courier? Friendship services?  

My daughter played HS badminton and this old dude showed up with a table and sold 100 cool badminton shirts on a Saturday.  Something car related? 

Ever been to the Covered Bridge Festival in Parke County, Indiana?  3000 booths of stuff?

TravisTheHuman
TravisTheHuman MegaDork
9/27/24 6:21 p.m.

Tempted to start a general engineering & build business in the next few years.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/27/24 8:27 p.m.

In reply to TravisTheHuman :

Interested...

Why?  Do you see a particular advantage in the next few years?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/27/24 8:28 p.m.
WesHenry said:

With so many industries feeling the pinch, it’s clear there’s a demand for reliable services. I’ve been thinking about starting a small mobile repair service for bikes. There are tons of cyclists in my area, and not everyone has the time to take their bikes to a shop. I could set up appointments at their homes, which would save them time and make it super convenient.

I've seen a van for a business by me that does this, I think it's pretty high-end though...but if you can get into the right circles there are a lot of cyclists who spend more on their bikes than a lot of us do on our cars.

So early this year I started a business with an innovative idea that seemed like it should at least bring in part-time job money, I just jumped on it to try and get the first-mover advantage, startup costs were around $3k. But it fell flat on its face pretty hard, shockingly little interest especially considering how much interest there is in the alternatives (edit: which are inferior in a lot of ways and not allowed to operate in a lot of places my service can), so it's not getting beyond self-funding-hobby level. Only one of the 3 customer groups I tried selling to showed a hint of interest. I think even getting into the part-time-job money range would require building (and retaining) a dream team of regular customers, and the customers that already have an alternative service are committed to their current providers and not interested in switching. So I'm going to wind it down later this year and try to sell it off, maybe to one of those companies that provides an alternative service and already has clients. If I can get most of the startup costs back out I wouldn't complain.

TravisTheHuman
TravisTheHuman MegaDork
9/27/24 8:51 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Next few years is when my retirement accounts should be "good enough" that I'm willing to risk it.  That's the only reason for the timing.

If I had a business partner I'd consider doing it now and only working there part time.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
832h1avmTIZCj8W9tQH2qXLmP6N4SLM62JfWHxRZFZV4C00a2HIuVfLux0X3kfo6