calteg
calteg SuperDork
1/11/24 2:14 p.m.

Cleaned out a bunch of junk drawers and found ~15 cell phones of various vintages. All are too old to have trade in value. 

Is there a trustworthy place that will pay me even $1 per phone? The two options I'm aware of are:

-Drop it at the little kiosk at Walmart or Target. Who knows where it goes and if your info is secure

-I found one company that you can mail the phones in, but you have to pay for shipping and their disclaimer says many phones are worth $0.

Any other avenues I'm missing? I feel bad just throwing them in the trash

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/11/24 2:20 p.m.

Our local dump has a hazardous waste and e-waste drop-off.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
1/11/24 2:23 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

Best Buy has e-waste bins for stuff like phones, usually right inside their doors.

Depending on your municipality you might have a day where they take e-waste or the local recycling/transfer station will also take the device.

Older phones aren't typically worth much so it's probably not worth the hassle of trying to get anything out of them. I'd just see if I could power them on, wipe them, then find wherever the closest local place was to drop off for recycling.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
1/11/24 3:40 p.m.

My county has a staffed drop off point for e waste that is easy and free, yours might too, or have a specific day now and then

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/11/24 9:08 p.m.

Staples is another retail location that accepts eWaste.  I dropped off an old tablet, some cables, and CDs just a week ago.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
1/12/24 12:23 a.m.

Our transfer station has a cargo container for e-waste, with a couple of large boxes for rough sorting such as TV/monitors, computers/tablets/electronics, batteries, light bulbs, etc.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/12/24 7:17 a.m.
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/12/24 11:33 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Our local dump has a hazardous waste and e-waste drop-off.

Ours here in Volusia County, Florida, does as well. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
5/14/24 9:39 a.m.

Take out the Sim card and any SD cards if there are any and schedule the appointment here: https://www.austintexas.gov/dropoff 

They cover Travis County which means I think you are covered there. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/14/24 9:55 a.m.

Our convenience center has an E-waste container. I use it for most electronics. 

Hard drives, I smash first. Phones get factory reset if possible or smashed if not. Tablets get the same treatment. Pretty much anything that can store personal information is rendered to shrapnel before going in the bin. 

Keep in mind that most printers have memory as well. Those personal documents you printed may still be stored in it. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/14/24 11:30 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

Take out the Sim card and any SD cards if there are any and schedule the appointment here: https://www.austintexas.gov/dropoff 

They cover Travis County which means I think you are covered there. 

I don't think I've had a cell phone with a Sim Card in 7+ years. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/14/24 12:27 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

My current phone has one. Samsung S23 Ultra. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/14/24 1:09 p.m.
Toyman! said: 

Hard drives, I smash first. 

This reminds me of an anecdote about IBM in Atlanta having a policy of requiring destruction of hard drives, carloads of executives, and local firing ranges that would rent submachine guns.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/14/24 4:42 p.m.

Contact a Woman's' Shelter or Veterans' home, ask if this donation can be used.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/14/24 5:12 p.m.

e-duce, e-use, e-cycle? 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/14/24 5:14 p.m.

iPhones had SIM cards until 2022. They also support eSims, but the sim card slot didn't go away until the iPhone 14, in 2022.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
5/14/24 5:58 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Keep in mind that most printers have memory as well. Those personal documents you printed may still be stored in it. 

Never have I wanted to use a crowbar on a printer more than now *just to be safe* 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/14/24 8:46 p.m.

there;s a reason i have half a dozen old cell phones laying around. I don't trust data removal.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
5/14/24 8:48 p.m.

Do a science experiment?

Just gonna wind up in a landfill anyway, so strip them down to circuit boards and extract the gold and other useful metals first. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pwz7jeW4B8fC7NeynX3iWuAYgiP5U2edKBEV0NWeeJuFImt5EfqoW5SzEVx9ejYT