1 2 3
914Driver
914Driver Dork
3/10/09 5:51 a.m.

Prescriptions tinted the darkest brown available.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
3/10/09 6:29 a.m.

Julbo X-Fusion Polarized

Wally
Wally SuperDork
3/10/09 6:34 a.m.

Clip ons

Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
3/10/09 9:13 a.m.

I'm way too harsh on glasses so I buy the cheap stuff. I look for the polarized models from Target like thatsnowinnebago.

$100 for sunglasses. Ouch. I just can't do it. I'm a cheap bastid I guess.

WilD
WilD Reader
3/10/09 9:16 a.m.

Ray-Bans here as well. I like the simple, black, mostly square style. I bought them at Costco.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/10/09 9:26 a.m.

the oaklys I run are still the Mframe.. had them for 4 years now with only their second pair of lenses. I generally am not too hard on my sunglasses.. even if I do perch them atop my head when not wearing them on my nose

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
3/10/09 9:48 a.m.

M Frame Oakleys with prescription lenses. But, I got tired of spending big bucks every time I wanted a new lens colour, so I just got some WileyX wraparounds. I've found a problem with them though. The prescription insert clips into the back of the frame, and sits between your face and the frame. Also, it interferes with the nose piece. I'm headed to the shop that I bought them to see what they can do for me. I do like that the frames were $140 with the prescription adaptor and 3 lenses. Dark tint, amber and clear. So, one case will take me on a motorcycle trip, no worries.

Wife has a set of Oakley Jackets (can't remember if they were Flak or Half) that someone left on my motorcycle, we had prescription lenses made for those.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/10/09 10:59 a.m.

I had sworn by wrap-around polarized glasses from the fishing Dept. of walmart until i had gotten my perscription. My frames come with matching magnetic clip-ons. Now I am starting to look for some sports type perscription sun glasses.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/10/09 11:05 a.m.

wife has a pair of rudy project apache sx's that I got $35 on ebay. They are nice. I think my next pair will be rudy projects with prescription lenses. I've had glasses since I was 8 months old.. I take them seriously.

laz
laz New Reader
3/10/09 11:24 a.m.

tifosi dolomite, white with red lenses:

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
3/10/09 12:22 p.m.

I had a pair of Spy sunglasses forever and liked them a lot. I got them when working on a racecar that was sponsored by Spy (and driven by an owner of Spy, I believe). I probably wouldn't pay for a pair, but that goes for anything over about $20.

I had a pair of Smiths that were nice too, same circumstances as above (Free sponsorship swag for the greasemonkeys).

I had a pair of "Ironman" sunglasses from Target that I liked but lost them when I jumped into the Lake of the Ozarks while watching the offshore powerboat races last fall. I'll probably go to Target and see if I can find another pair of those.

Clem

Autolex
Autolex Reader
3/10/09 1:01 p.m.

Oakley Gascan Polarized in flat black (my tax return present to myself last year)

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Club Editor
3/10/09 1:03 p.m.

Another Oakley fan here, I've got a beater pair of older e-wire 2.1s that I've actually managed to keep fairly unscratched for about 4 years, and I recently got some of the black Whiskers. Ashley likes the latter, so she just got some silver ones for her birthday.

I always think of Oakleys as an expensive addition until I look at the other stuff in the store; they're not giving away those other brands. And the metal frame Oakleys last a really long time if you care for 'em a little bit. I also saw they're now selling refurbishing kits for the unobtanium rubber stem sleeves, when they have some in stock for the e-wires I'm gonna bring them back up to near-new condition (kits are only about $12).

They work well with helmets, and they stay put on roller coasters.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
3/10/09 2:23 p.m.

Home Depot special ($5) Safety/Sunglasses for regular duty (It makes the South-of-Atlanta McDonalds employees go: "OOOOOH! I culd see mahself in yo sunglaasses!) but they're cheap, and they work.

These for fishing (polarized, $30:)

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
3/10/09 2:29 p.m.

I have prescription glasses with photo-gray lenses. It's nice to not have extra glasses to worry about.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
3/10/09 3:16 p.m.

Wal-Mart Prescription, in regular and motorcycle goggle flavors, both with transition lenses and fixed dark. The transition lenses are so that I can wear one pair all day, right into dusk/dark with no problems. The dark lenses are so that I can swap to dark shades in the car or inside a helmet. (transitions dont work in cars or in the shade) The Wal Mart brand means that when I loose them, sit on them, drop them etc I don't cry too much.

The best advice on sunglasses ever comes from Ron White:

Ron White on Sunglasses

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
3/10/09 4:21 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Wal-Mart Prescription, in regular and motorcycle goggle flavors, both with transition lenses and fixed dark. The transition lenses are so that I can wear one pair all day, right into dusk/dark with no problems. The dark lenses are so that I can swap to dark shades in the car or inside a helmet. (transitions dont work in cars or in the shade) The Wal Mart brand means that when I loose them, sit on them, drop them etc I don't cry too much. The best advice on sunglasses ever comes from Ron White: Ron White on Sunglasses

Pure awesome. Though I like the non-cartoon version better.

Toyman01
Toyman01 New Reader
3/10/09 5:04 p.m.

Costa Del Mar, Bahia Mar in the work truck for driving 50K+- miles a year. Costa Havana in my personal van (the old set). If your ever buy a good pair of glasses, you will never go back to the $15.00 specials. The Havanas, I have had over 10 years. Have had to return them for repair twice. No charge. I usually get them from Boaters World. The Havanas were about $100.00 ten years ago, the Bahia Mars were $210.00 about a year ago.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin HalfDork
3/10/09 5:22 p.m.

I'm going in for an eye doctor appointment this year and I plan on getting some perscription Oakleys along with a new set of regular eyeglasses. I'm very nearsighted, so cheap sunglasses won't do, despite what ZZ Top says. I've yet to find a set of clip-on sunglass lenses that fit my eyeglasses without looking crooked, so those are a no-go as well.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago HalfDork
3/10/09 6:18 p.m.

contacts + regular sunglasses works for me

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer New Reader
3/10/09 7:14 p.m.

Ray Ban Clubmasters, I have a black pair and a new pair in Tourtouseshell. They keep me in an eightys state of mind.

Chris Rummel

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
3/10/09 7:27 p.m.

I rock a pair of flea market knock off oakley blades

Or some mall brand/flea market brand aviators. I break/lose sunglasses all the time that I don't care for buying an expensive pair.

porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
3/10/09 8:35 p.m.

I may give up on Oakley even tho I can get them at dealer cost. I had a pair of A-wires for 5 years. The temple spring broke 3 times. $25.00 plus shipping per to repair. The last time they said they no longer have parts. When I recieved them back the lense had a huge gouge in one of them. I have trouble finding glasses that fit. My eyelashes are very long and rub on most lenses, Drives me nuts. (Looks better on my daughter) I'm fortunate to have 20/20 plus vision with out any surgury.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry New Reader
3/10/09 8:37 p.m.

I got a pair of Foster Grants now, they are ok.Before that I had a pair I picked up at a Walgreens in Florida back in like '05. That pair was nice, they fit pretty good in my helmet when I raced.Years ago I had a pair of Arnettes that were awesome, paid 'bout $60 for them at the time. Sold them for half that cuz I needed money. hmph.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/10/09 8:39 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: contacts + regular sunglasses works for me

I really wish I could, but without my glasses, my right eye drifts toward my nose. Damn guy ripped me off for prescription sun glasses 3 years ago. I was stupid and paid $300 or so. Its what happens when you have coke bottle glasses..

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vQgs8Sk8jcG2PMGxM59SACrKT89FySxq9P0iRL3bXjvgTVZkR7U4rIFsszMOTDbw