1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/18/24 11:36 a.m.

We will be in Tampa in and around Sept 14th-18th, and likely a few days either before or after so her parents can come down from the Orlando area. The better half will be working a convention during the day Sun/Mon/Tues, but since we will have a few more days there..............places to eat/see that we shouldn't we miss? 

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
7/18/24 1:16 p.m.

If you are into Cuban food go to Carmine's Seventh Ave. in Ybor City. If you want a nicer place and Cuban food try The Columbia a couple blocks down the street from there. 

I would also suggest checking out down town St Petersburg if you want to drive 20-25 minutes. Better evening activity than Tampa and a lot of museums if you are into that stuff.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
7/18/24 2:26 p.m.

Smoke cigars on tobacco row?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/18/24 2:43 p.m.

Mons Venus was fun (nsfw if you look it up, it's a strip club. Sorry Mr. Maniac)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/18/24 3:19 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

A Cubano is one of the worlds great sandwiches. 

In reply to Ranger50:

No tobacco for me. I love the way a good cigar or pipe tobacco smells, before it's lit. After, not so much nor do I care for the taste. I'm more of a good beer or tasty bourbon type guy.

In reply to mtn:

Really glad I looked up what was on my work computer, a NSFW tag would have been nice. I've been to those types of establishments exactly twice, not for me. I felt skeevy both times.  

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/18/24 4:14 p.m.

Become a scientologist? 

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
7/18/24 4:32 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Thats Clearwater 

Katie Wilson
Katie Wilson Advertising Coordinator
7/18/24 4:34 p.m.

Head towards her parents house and see the Weezer concert in Orlando on Sep 20th. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/18/24 4:46 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Sorry about that, that was dumb of me. I have to that type of establishment twice as well, and once was my bachelor party in Tampa. It was notably less sketchy and... cleaner, I guess, in ever sense of the word, compared to the one I went to in Tennessee. Which is kind of like saying the GMC Denali is nicer than the workman's version. It is just always the second thing I think of when I think of Tampa, bad attempt at a joke. 

Seriously though, I'd just grab a cooler of beer, an umbrella, towel, and sunscreen and head to the beach before eating at a beachside restaurant. That is, if the Lightning or Rays aren't in town. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/18/24 4:56 p.m.

La Teresita and sit on the diner side. 

adam525i
adam525i SuperDork
7/18/24 5:26 p.m.

Haven't really spent time in Tampa but did spend an afternoon/evening in St. Petersburg like Jgrewe mentioned above and recommend it. If you're into large scale blown glass art the Chihuly Collection is worth seeing, there is also the Dali not far away as well as other art galleries/museums. I don't think you'd have a hard time finding good places to eat there as well.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/19/24 12:05 p.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

Become a scientologist? 

I don't think I can't answer this without being patio'd :)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/19/24 12:07 p.m.
mtn said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Sorry about that, that was dumb of me. I have to that type of establishment twice as well, and once was my bachelor party in Tampa. It was notably less sketchy and... cleaner, I guess, in ever sense of the word, compared to the one I went to in Tennessee. Which is kind of like saying the GMC Denali is nicer than the workman's version. It is just always the second thing I think of when I think of Tampa, bad attempt at a joke. 

Seriously though, I'd just grab a cooler of beer, an umbrella, towel, and sunscreen and head to the beach before eating at a beachside restaurant. That is, if the Lightning or Rays aren't in town. 

The only unfortunate thing is the better half doesn't like seafood. 

And I don't think she would like to see the inevitable me, on the beach, passed out at 4pm in the sun! Hahaha!

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/19/24 1:05 p.m.

The Salvador Dali museum is in St Pete, and the Ringling Brother museum is in Sarasota, if you like art.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
7/19/24 1:08 p.m.

You mentioned beer, so look up cigar city brewery.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
7/19/24 1:21 p.m.

The St Pete Pier is usually pretty lively and a unique spot with food and drinks and the site of the St Pete Grand Prix on the nearby streets.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash Reader
7/19/24 2:13 p.m.

It's a bit south, but the Mote Marine Aquarium is pretty neat. My wife and I were passing through a couple weeks ago and enjoyed our visit there. 

The GRM staff will tell you to drive on I4 because it's the best road in the region. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
7/19/24 2:22 p.m.

The timing of your trip is perfect for a possible meeting with one of natures scariest wonders.

If one comes near without a direct hit, things get back to normal within hours.

I'll continue the St Petersburg commercial by adding that the museums bring more tourist dollars to town than the Rays. There are also tours of all the murals on buildings around downtown(guessing well over 100 by now).

I would suggest parking at the Pier, dinner at Doc Fords sitting outside and watch the airplanes come and go from Albert Whitted airport. After dinner, walk the Pier and go to the top floor for a drink or just for the view.

My wife works at the Dali Museum, I can see if she can get some tickets if you head that way.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/20/24 5:37 a.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

I'm in Oklahoma, land of 90 mph straight winds for no reason and tornadoes. A normal day in OKC is 20-25 mph wind. Hurricanes don't scare me.

By all accounts it looks like we need to go to St Petersburg a couple of evenings of the better half is up for it. The conventions really take a toll on her. She has RA so even at 40 she occasionally uses a cane, but I'm writing all these down!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/20/24 7:24 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

La Teresita and sit on the diner side. 

I am very familiar with the  Teresita in Pinelllas  Park and make it a point to visit when I am in Florida. Is there more than one location? 

Clearwater beach and a Grouper Sandwich at Frenchies is another "Must"  Sit at the bar inside, opposite the ramp where people come in for the best people-watching action.

The St Petes beach is also a great walk and there is a nice restaurant or two near the beach.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/20/24 10:18 p.m.

Ted Peter's

The Dali

/thread

Slippery
Slippery UltimaDork
7/20/24 10:29 p.m.

If you are bored and want to go for a nice drive, check this place out:

Revs Institute

HundredDollarCar
HundredDollarCar Reader
7/21/24 12:50 p.m.

Next to the airport and very near the Dali museum in St. Pete is Bayboro Tavern, they serve more than seafood but the locals claim they serve the best grouper sandwich around.  I can confirm it's good.

I agree with Brandonsmash, the Mote Marine Aquarium is a gem.

St. Pete runs a visitor oriented trolley around town that is kind of a driver narrated historic tour of downtown that runs on the quarter hour and is either free or just a buck.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
7/21/24 2:09 p.m.

I think you mean The Tavern at Bayboro, and yes, awesome grouper sandwich and I don't usually like fish.

Since we are letting out locals secrets like Ted Peters and The Tavern, I'm going to add Simply Delicious on 9th Ave N. One of their sandwiches will feed 2 people and you will need a nap afterwards.

The downtown looper trolley is free and it runs until 10pm.

A few other favorites of ours are the Birchwood Canopy roof top bar on Beach Drive and Bella Brava for Italian food right by the Pier.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/22/24 8:18 a.m.

The Columbia restaurant is amazing. Get the 1905 salad.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A6Mmg2g9BMgjWlJAJD5ObUwX8t9N9Coq5rymjhvblvQHJNueZ1sfrj6TZsVwIl5s