1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/29/24 11:17 a.m.

Were chicken sandwiches such a big thing back in the day? I can’t recall but, today, everyone’s got one–and everyone has a favorite.

Stopped for some Bojangles while returning from Miata night on Monday.

Solid. Crunchy. Hot. Not soggy like some others. Friendly, quick service. 

Photo just because.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/29/24 11:41 a.m.

I haven't tried Bojangles, at least not recently. There's a new one down the street, so I'll have to try the chicken sandwich next time I'm in the area.

And yeah, too many of them are just soggy–both chicken and bun.

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
5/29/24 11:42 a.m.

Spicy Deluxe from Chick-fil-A. I've not ever had a bad one...

Of course, there are a few less chicken places available up here in the great Northwest; this is typically beef country.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/29/24 11:46 a.m.

Hattie Bs... how is this a question?

But for fast food, Popeyes is the best, Chick FIL A the most overrated. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/29/24 11:47 a.m.

Of the fast-food ones, I'd say the best I've had is Popeye's. It appears to be an actual chicken breast. Plus, their cajun fries are legit.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/29/24 11:52 a.m.

Chik-Fil-A's is pretty good, but that Popeyes spicy chicken sandwich is tough to beat.

Fun Fact: the name is Popeyes, not Popeye's, because, as the founder Al Doyle joked, he was too poor to afford an apostrophe.

Other Fun Fact: it's named not after Popeye the Sailor Man, but after Gene Hackman's character in the French Connection, Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle, because that was the Al Doyle's favorite film at the time.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
5/29/24 11:54 a.m.

Mass market? Chick filet spicy chicken deluxe, no pickle, no tomatoes, with honey Sriracha sauce. Popeyes is to inconsistent and far away, but when it's good, it's definitely better. 

Wendy's spicy asiago ranch (SUB in ghost pepper ranch for regular ranch) is a good runner up, and much closer than chick filet or Popeyes. 

Not mass market? June bugs bar Buffalo Chicken.

If I'm making it at home? Sam's club spicy Patty (which they don't seem to sell anymore, shiny happy people), D'Italiano crustini bun toasted, a slice of asiago, some bacon, and if I have any on hand, some pulled pork. Topped with my creamy BBQ sauce. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/29/24 11:54 a.m.

It WAS Chicken Fire on East Colonial in DT Orlando. And then I read their LifeKitchen report. 

I don't eat there anymore. (They got busted washing dishes in a mop bucket)

CHAIN FOOD- the sandwich you have to sign a release for at Dave's Hot Chicken. FAST food? Popeyes hot. Offbeat? The Death Valley Chik Sandwich (vegan) at Winter Park Biscuit company- East End Market. 

I don't generally eat take out anymore. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/29/24 12:27 p.m.

Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich is the king of fast food for me.  That, and a glass of water is a great lunch for a penny under $5!

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/29/24 12:30 p.m.

I'd also like to add that consistency also plays a big part.

If the quality isn't the same across different locations (even if that quality is mediocre), it's going to be a no from me.

Slippery
Slippery UltimaDork
5/29/24 12:35 p.m.

PDQ gets my vote

Just remembered I had this in the S2000, which I barely drive. Off to PDQ for lunch!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/29/24 12:44 p.m.

Chick-Fil-A spicy deluxe for me.  With pepper jack cheese.  Nothing else even comes close.  Popeyes has a decent product, but their service around here is slow and indifferent.  Chick-Fil-A service always kicks butt.  Honestly, the way they run their drive-thru business is nothing short of amazing!  Very committed to excellent customer service, and that's the best way to earn my business.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
5/29/24 12:54 p.m.

There is a restaurant near me in Summerville SC called palmetto flats.  They make the best Nashville hot chicken sammich I have ever had.  Delicious.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
5/29/24 12:56 p.m.

Wendy's had a ghost pepper chicken jobby on promotion a while back. It was excellent. I don't care about Chick-fil-A. But if you ask what I eat most often, that's a hot-n-spicy from mcds. Why? Because $2

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
5/29/24 12:58 p.m.

Ok, not drive-through fast food but I always liked the Red Robin chicken burgers when traveling. Especially the teriyaki one...because pineapple. 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
5/29/24 1:06 p.m.

I know this is gonna label me as the resident fat kid, but I always LOVED the Double Down from KFC.  I never eat fast food, but that stupid sandwich always got to me...  It's also incredibly easy to recreate at home, since it's just fried chicken, bacon, and cheddar. 

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
5/29/24 1:11 p.m.

I will jump on the Bo's train, I like thier new Bird Dawg (basically a chicken sandwich in a hot dog bun. Typically I am a 2 piece chicken dinner eater their though!

For an outside candidate I also like the Chick-fil-a grilled chicken sandwich. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UberDork
5/29/24 1:27 p.m.

Carl's Junior Santa Fe Chicken sandwich (grilled = healthy & green chile = yummy).

Charbroiled Santa Fe Chicken™ Sandwich | Carl's Jr. | Fast healthy meals,  Grilled chicken sandwiches, Sandwich menu

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/29/24 1:44 p.m.

Y'all need to try a Big Mary

If I'm making a sandwich at home it's grilled, or breaded chicken breast, two slices of butcher bacon, lettuce and guacamole.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
5/29/24 1:45 p.m.
golfduke said:

I know this is gonna label me as the resident fat kid, but I always LOVED the Double Down from KFC.  I never eat fast food, but that stupid sandwich always got to me...  It's also incredibly easy to recreate at home, since it's just fried chicken, bacon, and cheddar. 

That was a good one. They also did a donut chicken sandwich a few years back that was surprisingly good, if you got there as soon as they opened and everything was super fresh. 

It made a heck of a mess, and I felt about 6 months fall off the end of my lifespan when I finished it, but it was way more tasty than it had any right to be.

They were a super light fluffy doughnut, like I remember Krispy Kreme being when they actually had a presence here outside of Walmart. That made it much easier, and messier, to eat than a dense cakey donut would have been. 

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard Marketing Coordinator
5/29/24 1:45 p.m.

My takeaway from this thread is that I need to eat more chicken sandos.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
5/29/24 1:47 p.m.

For fast food its between PDQ and Chick-Fil-A but for sit down restaurant chain it has to be the Big Red at Millers Ale House. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/29/24 1:50 p.m.

No votes for Zaxby's?  I tried it when they opened one locally.  Apparently a big thing down in Georgia.  Not terrible, but meh.

Also, where is PDQ a thing?  I've not heard of them. 

Parts Delivered Quickly?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/29/24 2:16 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

Spicy Deluxe from Chick-fil-A. I've not ever had a bad one...

Of course, there are a few less chicken places available up here in the great Northwest; this is typically beef country.

Yeah, Spicy Deluxe for me too, and yeah, we're choice-limited. I miss the spicy strips CFA used to have.

We've tried Colbie's and Cane's and neither are as good as CFA.

Slippery
Slippery UltimaDork
5/29/24 2:42 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

No votes for Zaxby's?  I tried it when they opened one locally.  Apparently a big thing down in Georgia.  Not terrible, but meh.

Also, where is PDQ a thing?  I've not heard of them. 

Parts Delivered Quickly?

Lol, People Dedicated to Quality ... its a Florida thing, originated in Tampa iirc.

I have a Zaxby's nearby, I should go and try it, never been.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tmPJWzmYlFFN1mzid8cmM58DeQl7B2k03iCsj7k8W1byQrxmq5hjBH1T5VrMgaLo