1 2 3
trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/14/24 4:02 p.m.

When I started drinking I started with Jack Daniels then I found that Jamison, Powers and Paddy's isn't much more and I find them to be a better product and smooth, so I have all 3.

As far as mixers I enjoy Southern Tier, pre- mixed drinks and pumpkin Whiskey.

My dad and his friends once invited me over for a tasting for 15+ different scotch and whiskeys that were one offs and were from all over the world. The Japanese Whiskey was surprisingly good, but I am not a person that would feel comfortable buying $xxx+ bottle.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/14/24 5:10 p.m.
calteg said:

Angel's Envy Rye is one of my favorites (I know, I know, it's a rebranded something or other from a globocorp distiller)

That's the majority of the U.S. whiskey market. There's nothing wrong with that. It's also not entirely true.

What places mostly do is buy *distillate* from a mega distillery. They then age and blend it themselves. This produces distinct products. (You can buy aged spirit, but mostly that is to start up a new brand or to make up a shortfall between production and demand.) Large accounts also frequently have their own custom recipes.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
2/14/24 5:31 p.m.

I'd  really  like to be sipping more Kurvball, but the Pennsylvania liquor control board has decided they aren't shipping it to houses anymore for whatever reason, but also not shipping it to any liquor stores within 50 miles of my house. And the stores can't ship between themselves because the distribution software that they implemented last summer can't do such a simple task.

Really jealous of all you guys in the 48 other states with private liquor stores instead of state controlled. 

CJ
CJ Dork
2/14/24 5:34 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Water

Never drink water.  Fish berkeley in water.

WC Fields

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
2/15/24 2:02 a.m.

In reply to CJ :

Also said "it rusts pipes"

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/15/24 7:53 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

When the founder's parents got divorced, Daddy had to buy out Mommy's half of the art work.  He shelled out $94 million.  I think the make up and whiskey businesses are something to do.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
2/20/24 3:37 p.m.

Anyone try this stuff? Admittedly the label caught my eye but I'm intrigued by "sharp and peppery" that it says it tastes like

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/20/24 5:29 p.m.
Antihero said:

Anyone try this stuff? Admittedly the label caught my eye but I'm intrigued by "sharp and peppery" that it says it tastes like

"Sharp and peppery" are common descriptors for Rye whiskey.

Looks like the same mega-distillery distillate you see all over, finished on (most likely) spirals of selected woods. That's not a knock. Means the quality will be solid and quite clean, and the finishing will likely lend a unique twist to make it different.

We've finished some of our spirits in very similar ways and the results are quite nice.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/21/24 10:25 a.m.

Far from a fine spirit, but I've dialed in a hop water and tea based no sugar added, no artificial sweetener infused ginger ale that I've been mixing with SoCo and it's dangerously delightful. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Dork
2/21/24 2:40 p.m.

I could never stand the taste of whiskey ever since I swallowed a mouthful of gasoline trying to siphon some gas out of my car to put into the boat. That smell was leaking out of me for days and tastes just like whiskey. If I go out for dinner, I like a glass of Long Island Tea and if at home a shot of Bacardi Gold Rum with anything from water to orange juice to a Coke for a chaser. I used to get these little one ounce shot mickeys of Smirnoff No21 Espresso from Walcrap that was pretty tasty but which they no longer sell. sad

johndej
johndej SuperDork
2/21/24 10:14 p.m.
calteg said:

Mellow corn is...well, it's not good, but pre-pandemic it was $8.99 and was a surprisingly decent mixer

Absolutely a sleeper. Pick up a bottle of this whenever I'm at the 1 store in our area that stocks it. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/21/24 10:54 p.m.

Only on GrassRoots...

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
2/22/24 8:06 p.m.

I have a basement room that I'm in the process of turning into a whisk(e)y and wine room. Right now I've pretty much maxed out the cabinet, and the wine racks are pretty darn full as well, so I need to get my butt in gear to build something nicer.  

But typically for a sipper I like 100+ proof bourbons, especially single barrel picks. I've got a bunch of the well known ones, but am also trying to find more local spirits (in Seattle, we have a decent number of microdistillaries).  The main issue here is that we have the highest alcohol tax in the country at around 22%, so I do tend to buy in Oregon and other places and bring stuff home.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Dork
2/22/24 8:49 p.m.

In reply to LifeIsStout :

I hope your wine racks are bolted to the wall. smiley

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
2/23/24 1:49 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Ha! They are, and they are also glued together. We are due for a pretty good earthquake here so I wanted to make sure.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/23/24 2:25 p.m.

Lately, I've taken to taking a nip of Jameson whenever the mood strikes me, largely I suppose because of their most recent television commercials.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/23/24 7:07 p.m.
RevRico said:

I'd  really  like to be sipping more Kurvball, but the Pennsylvania liquor control board has decided they aren't shipping it to houses anymore for whatever reason, but also not shipping it to any liquor stores within 50 miles of my house. And the stores can't ship between themselves because the distribution software that they implemented last summer can't do such a simple task.

Really jealous of all you guys in the 48 other states with private liquor stores instead of state controlled. 

I was a bit confused when my local store in Cleveland said they couldn't get Absolut Peppar because the state took it off of the list.

Then a while later, in Columbus (IIRC when I was fighting a Volvo transmission) I saw it on the shelf.  So of course I bought some just to prove a point.

work on a Swedish car, drink Swedish things.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
3/2/24 5:35 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Can confirm, it's nice.

It's kinda weird though, almost apple like at the start with a pepper kick aftertaste.

The first bourbon I've really liked really

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
3/2/24 5:36 p.m.
RevRico said:

That sucks, maybe it'll change soon? Idaho just started putting Kurvball in their stores so I don't have to go to Washington to get it anymore 

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
3/2/24 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

We took a trip to West Virginia today and found these at the first place we stopped at. Guy said he'd bought a case 2 months ago and I was the first person to buy any. Should last me the summer at least. I was just hoping to get cheaper smokes, but Kurvball was a good bonus.

Less miles than the closest PA store to me that carries Kurb, all niceish highway, and a Cabelas, Hobby Lobby AND giant Menards in the same spot. I might need to make the trip more often. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
3/2/24 6:04 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Antihero :

We took a trip to West Virginia today and found these at the first place we stopped at. Guy said he'd bought a case 2 months ago and I was the first person to buy any. Should last me the summer at least. I was just hoping to get cheaper smokes, but Kurvball was a good bonus.

Less miles than the closest PA store to me that carries Kurb, all niceish highway, and a Cabelas, Hobby Lobby AND giant Menards in the same spot. I might need to make the trip more often. 

Awesome!

Funny, because the bar in Milwaukee where we found out about this(Sobelmans, stop by if you are ever close) said no one ordered it either. Great old-fashioned with it too 

So basically that means that we are part of an exclusive group of people that have a refined enough palate to enjoy this great whiskey

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/12/24 8:23 p.m.

I can't find the "what are you drinking" thread so I'll post it here even though it is non alcoholic.  Maybe our non alcohol consuming friends can appreciate it.

I got some Tarhun as a birthday present.

It's really, really good in a way that feels comfortable.  It's god a really interesting flavor profile with a good hint of anise (but not overpoweringly so), and I can't really put my finger on anything Western to compare it to.

A liter was just under $4.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dtRuK32G4tg4eCM7fFIgqmaNhF0UFRqhlgHnz01156GKME1fSWsEE0oYWydXudeI