1 2 3 4
poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/27/09 8:50 a.m.

Dedoot doo doo ladada lada deet dee doo.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
1/27/09 9:10 a.m.

Holy E36 M3, America is scary.

Home Sweet Home

(Specifically I'm scared of how crazy you all are and the reaction to what is obviously just a poor choice of words and lack of context. It's sort of funny that people see Obama's election as marking the "end of racism" when it seems to have caused a renaissance of racism.)

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/27/09 9:13 a.m.
gamby wrote: Meanwhile, down South there hare "Obama '08 Biden '09" Bumper stickers floating around. Sorry, there's a reason Obama's security is so epic. It's potential domestic threats--most likely from the deep south (followed by some wacko militiaman in the mid-west).

FWIW, I have never seen that bumper sticker, and I live in rural Georgia and have travelled all over the South in the last year. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, and I'm not saying there aren't a very limited number of people who would celebrate it, but the broad brush of "Southern = Racist" is getting a little old.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
1/27/09 9:14 a.m.

boy am I glad I started this little science project when I was in 10th grade:

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/27/09 9:37 a.m.

For the record, I didn't vote for O because by all reports he would be in thrall to the far left wing of the D's.

After the election, many of his picks for top jobs showed restraint and forethought and I was not displeased, I was thinking maybe he will be OK. Unfortunately if this is what we can expect from his Cabinet picks, that far left wing prediction may have come true. I'm still gonna give him the benefit of the doubt for a while longer but right now it ain't lookin' real good.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/27/09 10:06 a.m.

I am in the same boat, J-man.

I didn't vote for him out of concern for the platform he appeared to be embracing, ie: far to the left extreme.

I was very pleased with his efforts and posturing between the election and the innauguration- appeared like he was embracing a very stable centrist position.

The first week of office has been troubling. Much more extreme than I had hoped.

I'm still hopeful.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/27/09 10:07 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: It's sort of funny that people see Obama's election as marking the "end of racism" when it seems to have caused a renaissance of racism.

Very insightful.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/27/09 10:13 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: (Specifically I'm scared of how crazy you all are and the reaction to what is obviously just a poor choice of words and lack of context.

With all due respect, it is the job of people who are addressing Congress to choose their words wisely (especially when they are on C-Span). If someone were to use the "N" word in the Congressional chambers on record, it would be all over the headlines.

I personally know 6 different people who have addressed Congress. All spent a good deal of time preparing. All said EXACTLY what they meant.

If these individuals are not capable of choosing their words appropriately when addressing Congress, then they should expect strong responses.

I see no problem.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/27/09 10:19 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
gamby wrote: Meanwhile, down South there hare "Obama '08 Biden '09" Bumper stickers floating around. Sorry, there's a reason Obama's security is so epic. It's potential domestic threats--most likely from the deep south (followed by some wacko militiaman in the mid-west).
FWIW, I have never seen that bumper sticker, and I live in rural Georgia and have travelled all over the South in the last year. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, and I'm not saying there aren't a very limited number of people who would celebrate it, but the broad brush of "Southern = Racist" is getting a little old.

I haven't seen them either, and agree with DILYSI Dave.

Have you seen these bumper stickers, Gamby?? If not, I call BS,and would appreciate you keeping your prejudices to yourself.

Is it possible that there are any wackos who live in Providence RI?

Cotton
Cotton Reader
1/27/09 10:30 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
I haven't seen them either, and agree with DILYSI Dave. Have you seen these bumper stickers, Gamby?? If not, I call BS,and would appreciate you keeping your prejudices to yourself. Is it possible that there are any wackos who live in Providence RI?

I'm in middle TN and also have never seen these stickers.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
1/27/09 10:33 a.m.

Sheezuss Crimanitley...I realize I spent a few minutes yesterday doing a fish impression on this thread, so perhaps I am one to talk. But for pete's sake, this forum is for car nerds and the like to gather and ENJOY the company of similar minded people who are willing to overspend on a car that only its engineer could love, not hi tempered banter on a topic we are all "armchair QB's" at best. Lets take a moment and Miller's Lime flavored beer and the opposite of in. This topic WILL NOT be resolved here. No need to make Frenemies over something we really wont sort out here anyway. I really respect everyone here, even those who I may disagree with on this topic, and I would hate to see anyone think ill of me or vice versa because there was dischord over something someone said in the heat of the moment. And I would hate to hear the same about anyone else in here as well.

Insert famous Rodney King quote here...

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/27/09 10:34 a.m.

On a more civil and really cool note, how about Obama's suit? Apparently he was outfitted with bullet-resistant clothing. Not a vest under his clothes, but actual clothing with anti-ballistic capabilities.

I think we can all put aside our political differences and revel in just how cool that is:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/01/president-oba-1.html

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
1/27/09 10:35 a.m.

^+1

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/27/09 10:37 a.m.

I had to google it. There's not much out there (only 555 hits), and I saw no reference to any bumper stickers. Only some hand-made signs from a high school in the deep southern enclave of Ohio.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Obama+%2708+Biden+%2709%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

And I second 4Cylinder. This thing floundered from the get-go and all I see it doing is dividing people who should be united by common interests. Lame.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/27/09 10:39 a.m.

I'm sure this has been posted before, but whatever--

http://jalopnik.com/5134488/presidential-gatling-gun+equipped-suburban-badder-than-new-cadillac-limo

...certainly says "don't F w/ me"

914Driver
914Driver Dork
1/27/09 10:43 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Sheezuss Crimanitley... This topic WILL NOT be resolved here. No need to make Frenemies over something we really wont sort out here anyway. Insert famous Rodney King quote here...

Ah... patience Glasshoppah.

One day you too will have someone throwing their keyboard in disgust and taking a three day timeout.

No one here really takes the Off-Topic area seriously enough to hop in a car and hunt someone down, good news eh?

You're newish, you'll see.

Dan

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/27/09 10:49 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: And I second 4Cylinder. This thing floundered from the get-go and all I see it doing is dividing people who should be united by common interests. Lame.

I think somebody needs to form a pair of politically themed LeMons teams and act like they hate each other.

One could be a blue car and call themselves "Team Jackass" or maybe just "Team Donkey". And the other can field a blue car and call themselves "God Owful Pachyderms" or something like that.

And they should be parked next to each other in the paddock and constantly yell to the other at how any problems that occur on field are entirely the fault of the other team.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
1/27/09 10:49 a.m.
914Driver wrote: One day you too will have someone throwing their keyboard in disgust and taking a three day timeout. Dan

I threw my keyboard an hour ago when someone said in another thread that a brown celica looked like a potato... Bull E36 M3!!! How dare someone insult the gem that is the Celica??!!

Patience indeed

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/27/09 10:52 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: I had to google it. There's not much out there (only 555 hits), and I saw no reference to any bumper stickers. Only some hand-made signs from a high school in the deep southern enclave of Ohio. http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Obama+%2708+Biden+%2709%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a And I second 4Cylinder. This thing floundered from the get-go and all I see it doing is dividing people who should be united by common interests. Lame.

I was going on secondhand info from another web forum. My bad.

The blatant panicked racism I've seen online over this is astounding.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/06/read_it_and_weep.html

http://www.zazzle.com/keep_the_white_house_white_bumper_sticker_bumpersticker-128853856415477832 (also saw a photo of a dude on a motorcycle w/ a t-shirt that said "silly n^^^^r, it's the White House, not the Black House" as well as a McCain-Palin bumper sticker on it. I wish I saved that one) (I'm surprised he didn't get "accidentally" run over)

BTW--I mentioned that bumper sticker (well, sign) to a friend of mine who is a federal agent and he said that the holder of it should probably be expecting a little visit from some suited men.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/27/09 10:52 a.m.

That was me. I don't doubt its a nice car, but in the particular brown on that celica, it looks potato-esque. Sorry.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
1/27/09 11:06 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: That was me. I don't doubt its a nice car, but in the particular brown on that celica, it looks potato-esque. Sorry.

Its ok, just dont let it happen again ...and you owe me a new keyboard and monitor...just an FYI. You can get it to me whenever you have it.

LMAO

I actually dont like celicas unless theyre pre 90s and convertible<---tasty when cut up curly and seasoned

914Driver
914Driver Dork
1/27/09 11:20 a.m.

New guy's scaring me....

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
1/27/09 11:34 a.m.

Silly Baxter, baby reds are where it's at...

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/27/09 11:37 a.m.
gamby wrote:
Tim Baxter wrote: I had to google it. There's not much out there (only 555 hits), and I saw no reference to any bumper stickers. Only some hand-made signs from a high school in the deep southern enclave of Ohio. http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Obama+%2708+Biden+%2709%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a And I second 4Cylinder. This thing floundered from the get-go and all I see it doing is dividing people who should be united by common interests. Lame.
I was going on secondhand info from another web forum. My bad. The blatant panicked racism I've seen online over this is astounding. http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/06/read_it_and_weep.html http://www.zazzle.com/keep_the_white_house_white_bumper_sticker_bumpersticker-128853856415477832 (also saw a photo of a dude on a motorcycle w/ a t-shirt that said "silly n^^^^r, it's the White House, not the Black House" as well as a McCain-Palin bumper sticker on it. I wish I saved that one) (I'm surprised he didn't get "accidentally" run over) BTW--I mentioned that bumper sticker (well, sign) to a friend of mine who is a federal agent and he said that the holder of it should probably be expecting a little visit from some suited men.

OK - so, the sources of all of this Southern hate speech are:

• A home made sign from Ohio
  • A defaced $5 bill from New York
  • A bumper sticker sold by a company out of California
  • A T-Shirt worn by a someone in Rhode Island.

Damn - you nailed all of us black hating southern rednecks.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/27/09 11:48 a.m.

I've been desperately trying not to post in/create political threads, but I just can't "let it go" on this one.

There's been lots of talk about racism in this thread. I'll maintain that there are exponentially more folks who voted for Obama BECAUSE he is black than folks that did not vote for him because he is black. I don't neccesarily believe that either group should be defined as "racists," but if not voting for him because he is black falls in your definition of a racist, voting for him because he is black should as well.

While I agree that Reich was not trying to say "None of these jobs should go to white people," imagine what the reaction would have been had he said instead "We need to make sure that these jobs don't go to unskilled black people," or if, at Obama's inauguration, Lowery had said "When blacks will embrace what's right..." etc, etc, etc.

I digress. Reich's statements terrify me, not because I'm a skilled white construction worker, but because our federal government has clearly decided to hire or not hire based solely on race, and no one seems to be all that upset about it.

I'm not trying to start a E36 M3 storm. Just food for thought.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7f9JFHY9FW44ar5fw8VIznoUPnzClgjs76bi1MYVwCcf3nkUWZzvhNvXt5gbELNj