rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
7/27/09 9:59 a.m.

Well as most of you know when I pulled the Olds home it had been sitting for several years in one spot. When I first picked it up we popped the hood and you could not see the engine at all there was so many weeds. A bunch of them blew out on the haul home.

We have been working on clearing all of the weeds off and on over the last couple months. My garage got full so that has caused a postponement of starting any actual work on it.

Here is a shot of what it use to look like under the hood after the ride home and a couple hours pulling weeds. I wish I had taken a shot when we first pulled it out so you could see it stuffed with weeds.

Here it is finally weed free. Oh and proof I have the coolest girl friend ever. She cleans houses and the like for her job so she got a bit obsessive about getting all of the weeds.

Oh also noticed that the frame work under the hood appears to be fiber glass. This is the first aluminum hood that I have had is that normal?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado HalfDork
7/27/09 10:11 a.m.

Alright! I can't help you about the hood, but I'm glad to see you've finally started on that thing, rebel.

Maybe someone was going to bracket race it-and never got any further than the hood?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
7/27/09 10:18 a.m.

Your girl elbow deep in Oldsmobile guts? DO NOT let anyone from here meet her. A full on duel to the death 1700s style will surely ensue

keethrax
keethrax New Reader
7/27/09 10:45 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Your girl elbow deep in Oldsmobile guts? DO NOT let anyone from here meet her. A full on duel to the death 1700s style will surely ensue

I practically have to fight my wife to work on any of our cars. It started out with her insisting on doing everything on "her" car. And has spread. four oil changes on the mazdaspeed, and I haven't touched it yet and only a fool would attempt to work on the Pontiac in her place. Half the time I can sit back with a beer and provide technical advice Occasionally I have to get something that's too tight or whatever, but not often. It's a rough life.

oldsaw
oldsaw Reader
7/27/09 11:58 a.m.

Is she wearing gloves, or is that a REALLY dirty left hand?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
7/27/09 12:07 p.m.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
7/27/09 12:12 p.m.

She is wearing gloves. Some of the weeds we were pulling out were old blackberry vines and there were about a dozen yellow jacket nests under the hood as well.

However those gloves were a very light green color when she started and almost black when we finished.

Oh also aside from finding out about the fiberglass backing on the hood, I found out the car does have the factory lower front frame braces. I'm working on finding all of the various frame braces used over the years to stiffen out the chassis. Apparently over the years the various A and G bodies got braces in places unique to that model and year lol.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
7/27/09 1:24 p.m.

What's with the curly brake lines, the chassis flex can't be THAT bad

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/27/09 1:31 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: I'm working on finding all of the various frame braces used over the years to stiffen out the chassis. Apparently over the years the various A and G bodies got braces in places unique to that model and year lol.

I'm quite interested in this subject since I'm actively shopping G bodies right now.

Clem

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
7/27/09 1:43 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:

right idea, wrong thread

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/27/09 1:46 p.m.

Yellow jackets live underground, not in oldsmobiles.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
7/27/09 1:55 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I'm quite interested in this subject since I'm actively shopping G bodies right now. Clem

Clem The biggest problem is GM seemed inconsistent in their actual installation of the braces. Its mostly going to be on the more performance oriented ones that you will find the bars though sometimes you can find them on the lower models. You can buy close to everything new in after market parts for about $300 I think, however I would check local yards first.

http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8126

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer New Reader
7/27/09 6:02 p.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

Actually they nest anywhere they have shelter, I have a yellow jacket nest in one of my bird feeders as we speak.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
7/27/09 9:22 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Your girl elbow deep in Oldsmobile guts? DO NOT let anyone from here meet her. A full on duel to the death 1700s style will surely ensue

Oh and also during the same day we watched Mad Max and Love the Beast Yeah anyone trying to get her away from me better be ready to fight, she is a keeper and oddly she thinks that I am as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BjwqoMq67oVa0Q8BIcZmqpWQJ0M5ChxjxCpJwMRntacwyAtHVhOQt75l9T1ACPwz