stroker
stroker PowerDork
12/3/23 12:39 p.m.

I could have sworn I saw a thread about boots some years ago.  I searched for it with no luck. 

My old boss (40 years ago) used to swear by Herman Survivor boots.  So I bought a pair some time ago and pulled 'em out of the closet for the first time this year to go to my concealed carry class at the shooting range yesterday.  I put them in the closet last year and haven't used them since.  So I'm at the class and the rubber soles on these boots are literally disintegrating as I sit there.  I did a bit of research and it sounds like Walmart bought the name brand of these boots and farmed out the production to various Far East countries and this is a well-known problem now.  Resoling them will probably cost a bunch more than simply buying another pair of boots, which is why I'm posting this.  Can anyone recommend a really good value brand/model of boot for general/winter use? 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
12/3/23 12:59 p.m.
stroker
stroker PowerDork
12/3/23 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Thanks, Steve!

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/3/23 1:15 p.m.

Ya know, I really like how Sketchers sneakers fit me, so I tried some of their work boots.  I'm impressed.  I got the carbon fiber toe and I'm pleased as punch.  I can work in the shop for 12 hours and my feet feel great.

I also got some carbon fiber toe sneakers from Merrell.  Equally impressive, but they're every bit as heavy as my Sketchers boots.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/4/23 10:43 a.m.
stroker said:

Resoling them will probably cost a bunch more than simply buying another pair of boots, which is why I'm posting this.  

I wouldn't reject resoling them before checking with local shoe repair shops - it's been some time since I've had boots resoled, but it was substantially less expensive them replacing them altogether.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/4/23 10:52 a.m.

I like Keens and Made in USA Red Wings. I wouldn't get Red Wings that are made overseas. 

procainestart
procainestart SuperDork
12/4/23 10:58 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

My wife wears steel-toed Keens at jobsites and likes them a lot. I wear their regular street shoes and find the glue tends to give up well before the soles are done. YMMV

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/4/23 11:01 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

No help, but thanks for the Hermans's reminder.  I never owned their boots, but I shopped frequently in their store in Richmond, VA in the late 80's.  It closed around 1993, I guess.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman%27s_World_of_Sporting_Goods

Now, all the sporting goods stores are run by a bunch of Dicks.  Their sign even says so.  frown

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
12/4/23 11:43 a.m.

A recommendation from someone you might recognize:

I can't speak for the steel-toe version, but the regular ones are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash New Reader
12/4/23 12:00 p.m.

I'm a huge fan of Red Wings, FWIW. Their King Toe EDCs are fantastic and are hands-down the most comfortable work boots I've ever owned. My first pair lasted nearly 2 years, and I'm roughly 1 year into this pair and it's still going strong.

Doubleoh9
Doubleoh9 New Reader
12/4/23 12:19 p.m.

I've had good luck with with my most recent pair from Redback. 

https://www.redbackboots.com/product/56

Around a year and a half on them so far and no issues. I replaced the fabric topped insoles they come with with the suede ones they offer after about 6 months. I'm a parts guy so not as rough on boots as some people but they've held up to walking around on concrete soaked in various automotive fluids very well. 

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
12/4/23 1:16 p.m.
mtn said:

I like Keens and Made in USA Red Wings. I wouldn't get Red Wings that are made overseas. 

Came here to say this. I bought Red Wings waaaay back when I first entered the machining trade and I'd be walking on steel chips all day since I was running manual machine tools. They were the best boots I have ever owned, I kept them for seven years, I believe. I'd had them re-soled once or twice but the leather started to disintegrate so I had to get rid of them. 

I would have a pair now but, the foundry where I work has some sort of deal worked out with a local work boot supplier and we can only wear a specific kind of flame-proof boot that is supplied by said boot company. The company also gives us a $150 voucher toward the purchase of said boots each year so, I'm not going to complain.

Folgers
Folgers Reader
12/4/23 8:42 p.m.

I recently did a bunch of looking at work boots on the internet, and got overwhelmed.

I ended up going to the local high end shoe store and spent some time talking to professional shoe people. They recommended Keen as a "won't suck" work boot. 

I've been rocking Keen San Jose soft toes for two months now and can say, they don't suck.

Shoe fitment is strange. I don't know how anyone could buy without first trying on. I've been wearing 10.5 wides since high school. The keens I'm wearing are 9.5 wides, and are a little tight width wise in the toes and  a bit  loose in width on the heel. Lengthwise perfect. 
I  think I payed $135 or $140 for them.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/4/23 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Folgers :

anecdotal evidence-

most people don't have the slightest clue how a shoe is supposed to fit or why their feet hurt. It's amazing. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/4/23 9:25 p.m.

I’m a big fan of the Dr. Martens poly boots and currently rocking these: Combs Poly Casual Boots. (Mine sport yellow laces, though.)

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
12/4/23 9:59 p.m.

I used to swear by the Dr. Martin industrial work boots, unfortunately they are discontinued.  Their soles were so grippy on every surface.  Just awesome.

I have a pair of Thorogoods now, the USA-Made (yay) Pull on Wellingtons.  Full leather so good for hot work, no laces so good for guys who suck at tying shoes.  Only thing i don't like is the soles are very slippery compared to the Docs.  But they fit well, are uninsulated (tough to find in a Wellington) and have held up well.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/5/23 9:41 a.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Folgers :

most people don't have the slightest clue how a shoe is supposed to fit or why their feet hurt. It's amazing. 

I'm amazed at people that just buy a shoe without trying them on, or at least having had experience with the brand. Although a lot of sins with shoes can be fixed with better insoles. I use aftermarket insoles on my work boots, 1 pair of my 3 Keens, my gym shoes, my golf shoes, and my boat shoes. Oh, and my skates too - although those are actually stock insoles from a different skate. 

ScottyB
ScottyB HalfDork
12/5/23 12:49 p.m.

i've got a pair of US-made, "American Heritage" safety-toe/moc-toe Thorogood 6" boots that have been very good.  did a big fence job in them over 3 straight days and found that they bennefitted greatly from (A) wearing good boot socks and (B) getting a good slathering of Huberd's shoe oil which made them even more supple and gave me some solid waterproofing.  absolutely worth trying on before buying to get the size right.  great in the cooler weather, a little too hot for extended summer work.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
12/6/23 10:34 a.m.

Irish Setter Ashby's are my go to boot. They're a Red Wing subsidiary with aluminum toe and are extremely comfortable for spending 12 hours a day on a flight line.

The first set I wore the tread off over the course of 2 years. The second set I drove a chainsaw deep into the safety toe. I'm on my third set now.

The big draw for me is was that they have a generously sized toe box even in the normal width. I had a lot of trouble with other boots fitting right either in the arch or the toe and moving to wide widths made other boots fit too loose. These are nearly perfect.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
12/6/23 10:59 a.m.

I wear Keens just about every day but I don't wear work boots. 

I usually buy my guys a pair of work boots every year. The last batch was Red Wing Classic Moc 6" boot. They have been very durable and most of the guys don't want new boots this time around. Their old boots are well broken in and still in very good shape.

They make a Gore-tex version of the same boot that would probably work well in the land of ice and snow. They are not cheap. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fhbqWxpEmDDexCk0u85sJcXyJ2vzwZQKb1LJ1B2MY091kV5sQiDKYePTmL6bub0A