1 2 3 4
NickF40
NickF40 Reader
3/1/11 3:26 p.m.

I just can't believe how the school system is totally down the drain, that's the reason I failed some in history....I refused to write what they had in the "history" book, because I knew what I wrote was the truth! Their just trying to shove tests down their throats and no recess???

and when it comes to discipline, now it's considered abuse and immoral....

Xceler8x
Xceler8x SuperDork
3/1/11 3:27 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: ...Theres so much wrong with the "tell em on the facey-space tweetybooks" mentality, theres not enough bandwidth on GRMs server to discuss it all. ...There will always be flatbrim brotatos dicking it up for the rest of us. It will be that way when my kids are 80, and the jerktard at the hydrogen station forgets to wind the flux capacitor in their Buick. ....Today, my sandwich was so wrong from what I ordered, the only thing that was right was the lettuce. Literally every other ingredient was wrong. Guess how old the jackwagon who took and made my order was? ...Yet I digress...

I got some serious subject whiplash going on here but I'm still laughing. That's a hilarious rant. Mostly because it was like reading a tennis match!

NickF40
NickF40 Reader
3/1/11 3:31 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: That's a hilarious rant. Mostly because it was like reading a tennis match!

LMAO but yeah, that was just perfect!

NickF40
NickF40 Reader
3/1/11 3:33 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Yet I digress, Im sure there are plenty of great kids out there just as upset at the current generation of youths as we are. Its their world the idiots are messing up too. We just dont hear enough about them to give the credit where it is due.

AMEN

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/1/11 3:40 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: I can't stand texting. My wife works a job where a phone call is very inappropriate, hospital OR, but constantly texts. When does she text? When I can't reply back, then wonders why some of my answers are rather terse. But a two minute phone call eliminates 30+ mins of texting, especially when that answer is needed rather quickly.

That's not an issue with texting in-and-of itself, that's an issue with you and your wife's skill with texting. For the two of you, voice-on-voice is the most efficient option. Nothing wrong with that, unless you presume that it's also the most efficient option for everyone else. I think at the core, that's what has me riled about this whole situation... this idea that "what's best for me is what's best, period." I can tell you for fact that I find phone calls to be a complete and utter waste of time relative to email and SMS. Part of that is some hearing issues that I have that give me the equivalent of aural dyslexia, and with text I can see EXACTLY what someone is saying. Part of it is that it forces people to get to the berkleying point (I'm slightly asperger's, so meaningless conversation is grandly irritating). Part of it is that I can have a conversation while I'm free, while not forcing an expectation that the other party involved has to be free during the same time; I can speak at my convenience, they can listen at theirs and vice versa.

What's right for me doesn't have to be right for you, but don't make me bend my knee to your ways just because that's what's traditional.

Now the sandwich punk... Why does someone like this still have their job? Lump me in with the crowd on this one, that's just unacceptable.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
3/1/11 3:45 p.m.

What's discouraging is the art of the conversation and nuance are going out the door.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
3/1/11 3:53 p.m.
triumph5 wrote: What's discouraging is the art of the conversation and nuance are going out the door.

What about writing a letter?

NickF40
NickF40 Reader
3/1/11 3:56 p.m.

what's a letter?

We actually had a day in Business class in school where we learned how to write a letter.....in 10th grade.....for crying out loud, I knew how to write a letter when I was in 5th grade!

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
3/1/11 4:11 p.m.

Letter writing, too. Except for us oldies who still pay our bills by mail, (ok, a few by phone). when was the last time most people have mailed anything other than a card? I send a letter when I have something important to say, want it to have some consequence, or where an email would be impersonal--a letter conveys the writer took the time to sit down, put thoughts to paper and mailed it. It conveys deliberate effort much more than any email could ever hope to.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
3/1/11 4:15 p.m.

The amount of crotchety in this thread is staggering.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
3/1/11 4:26 p.m.

It's all relative.

NickF40
NickF40 Reader
3/1/11 4:30 p.m.

rubbish

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/1/11 4:39 p.m.
Jay wrote: The amount of crotchety in this thread is staggering.

Impossible. I hadn't even posted to it until just now.

I need to get back out to the garage where I can shape the metal for my new car using a shot bag and a wooden mallet.

(as usual, the truth sounds stranger than any lies I could fabricate.)

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/1/11 4:39 p.m.

POPPYCOCK

Gubby
Gubby New Reader
3/1/11 5:34 p.m.

FIDDLESTICKS!

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
3/1/11 5:39 p.m.

I was thinking the same thing, and I'm an old fart.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x SuperDork
3/1/11 6:48 p.m.

You bring it on my lawn and I'll show you crotch punch! That ain't something you drink!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
3/1/11 7:18 p.m.

I will respond to two texts from the same person on the same topic, then I stop. If you have a simple, single question or statement, texting is fine. For more than one question or statement, phone me.

As a working person, who does not have a crackberry sitting on a desk beside a computer, I have to stop what I am doing, reach inside my coveralls to get my phone out of my pocket, then read and reply. A phone call is as much of an inconvenience, but the job is finished in one, instead of a series of disturbances.

NickF40
NickF40 Reader
3/1/11 7:34 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
You bring it on my lawn and I'll show you crotch punch! That ain't something you drink!

can I use that in my signature lol I think this should be in the magazine

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/1/11 7:37 p.m.

Humbug

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
3/1/11 7:42 p.m.

I see a lot wrong with this 'brave new world'. All this 'instant total communication' has brought out the shiny happy person in a lot of people regardless of age. These brain dead obliviots feel their text messaging with their chickenE36 M3 smartassphone is more important than the safety of the people who share the planet with them. You will read about me in the papers (and not in a good way) if one of these E36 M3heads hits me.

Telling the whole planet you are preggers via Facebook before telling your parents face to face shows a serious lack of what used to be called 'class'. I guess the notion of 'class' is old fashioned, just like the telegram and etc mentioned earlier. But it's the 'cool' thing to do, so that makes it OK, I guess. Damn, the planet is in trouble.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
3/1/11 9:22 p.m.
914Driver wrote: I see it at work. When I was doing protoype machining I never sat while the machine was running, slows the reaction time to something bad happening. New hires don't care. There were no cell phones then, but now new hires text, talk or play games while machining something. I was in the Tool Room when a group of 25 new hires were being trained on safety, how the system works etc. before being assigned to a machine shop; one guy couldn't figure out how the drill chuck key worked! He was poking it at the machine but had no idea that two gears could mesh together and move something else. He's a wicked gamer, but nuts & bolts, common sense? This is your future.....

Sure explains why the roomie (who bought SWMBO's Jag) had to pay extra to have a pair of new front rotors ground before they could be installed.

And all this time, I thought it was just because they'd been cast in China..(melancholy grin)

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/1/11 10:54 p.m.

it's not just the younger generation. I am 40.. most of my friends are about the same age.. two years ago I stopped getting emails and phone calls from my friends.. One of them even moved to florida without my knowing..

why?

They moved everything to facebook and I never knew. As a non-facebook user.. I have not really heard from most of my friends in 2 years.. makes you wonder what kind of friends they really were

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
3/1/11 11:47 p.m.

Funny.....I just closed my Facebook account today.

I didn't care for it as a means of communication, and I didn't trust the privacy.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
3/2/11 2:00 a.m.

Speaking of crotchety, here's some more.

NickF40 wrote: I just can't believe how the school system is totally down the drain, that's the reason I failed some in history....I refused to write what they had in the "history" book, because I knew what I wrote was the truth! Their just trying to shove tests down their throats and no recess??? and when it comes to discipline, now it's considered abuse and immoral....

I sortof agree totally. Back when I was in high school (a whole 6 years ago) I couldn't imagine why they would make it so easy. the study guides were practically the tests, and the lecture notes were essentially the homework handouts. Yet despite all of this, my graduating class went from 449 people to 380 in the final semester (when the people who finally realized they weren't going to make it went ahead and dropped out). I always thought any idiot should be able to figure out if you pay attention(ish) in class, show up, write what they put up as notes, and don't act like a monkey on mt. dew, then a 3.0 gpa was easy. I ended up with a 3.9 and I intentionally never studied once. I'm not a smart person either.

As for failing a class because the information they teach is bogus, that seems admirable, but I took the attitude that one of my professors here takes: "Your goal in a graduate program (or high school) is to finish and move on."

Also, discipline at my High school was a total joke. I guess teen agers just don't like to hear how they should act from adults (though they probobly should listen a bit), but that's nothing new, nor is it going to change anytime soon.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MQJ77kGYbbCs9zrFMnUOdL7lRMvyugJlWXjLpNkfoMNlFId7SVt3jYEcevbC0Bc9