2 3 4
Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
3/2/11 2:12 a.m.
914Driver wrote: He's a wicked gamer, but nuts & bolts, common sense? This is your future.....

I'm saddened by this, because i'm young and this IS my future. I already see it happening with people I know- I had to go help my fiance's family change a flat tire, when they had 4 people with them including one guy in his 20's. It wasn't a strength thing, they couldn't figure out how a scissor jack worked, though it might've helped if he knew what a jacking point was. I even had to show them how to take off a hubcap, which was odd because i've never actually owned a car with hubcaps...

A similar thing happened when some friends of mine in college were discussing the terrors of the sticking toyota gas pedals. I said "yeah, that's not really a giant problem, you can just put the car in neutral and you can stop easy." I had to resist slapping the people who didn't know what 'neutral' meant, and slowly explain to the others (who recognized that the little letter N meant neutral") that the stick can in fact be moved while the car is in motion. Keep in mind this was Wisconsin, not New York City. EVERYBODY has a car. Meanwhile, my technophobic, senior citizen mother can often diagnose mechanical problems instantly when her cars do something funny. I see a link here between people who like techno gadgetry and have NO mechanical sense whatsoever, and new cars being made that I really REALLY don't like.

Hows that for crotchety? and I have DECADES to refine my crotchety-craft before I become a senior citizen... I'm gonna be a pro, I'll win all the local crotchety-offs with the other old men.

NickF40
NickF40 Reader
3/2/11 2:52 a.m.

^^Oh werd!

I can't say what I REALLY want to say

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
3/2/11 2:56 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Voice-on-voice is considered archaic and excessively time-consuming. There are 17 other better things I could be doing in the time difference between relaying something to you via text and the time it's going to take you to think you've sufficiently explained it to me in a phone call.

I agree, face to face interactions are drifting away, but the main problem I see with this trajectory is that there really aren't better things to do with your time. I didn't realize this until recently when i tried to set up a daily hour-by-hour schedule to maximize my efficiency during the day, but a lot of crap I do is just idle time wasting for no benefit. all of my efficiency was doing was saving time to do nothing of any benefit or importance! like being on a messege board at 4 am writing crotchety posts when I should be sleeping. Speaking of which....

NickF40
NickF40 Reader
3/2/11 2:58 a.m.
Rufledt wrote: like being on a messege board at 4 am writing crotchety posts when I should be sleeping. Speaking of which....

at least you didn't have a delicious green tea+red bull.....

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
3/2/11 3:01 a.m.
Rufledt wrote: like being on a messege board at 4 am writing crotchety posts when I should be sleeping. Speaking of which....

I should've said "writing crotchety posts of no importance or benefit"...

NickF40
NickF40 Reader
3/2/11 3:03 a.m.

What do you think 89% of this thread is haha hey i'm young but damn! just embarassing for us

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5oULCBLhBomikemaK7ENS1sg1SHRwXtStdl60Ra5Gg8kX8jdtkgxLPlnKWB0kYsC