1 2
budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/11/24 10:25 a.m.

I'm pretty unimpressed by the junkyards up here, there is a large shortage of GM trucks/SUVs to choose from. So, if anyone has a cheap LS they are looking to get rid of, i'm probably interested. Located in Knoxville, TN but will travel.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
3/11/24 10:30 a.m.

No help here, but don't forget to look into just buying a van with an engine and gutting it before sending the carcass to the yard.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
3/11/24 12:30 p.m.

Drive north into Ohio. Tons of rusted E36 M3 boxes. Our u pull it yard (Pittsburgh) has an endless supply of 4.8s and 5.3s. 6.0s if you get there in a day or two of a van. 

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/11/24 1:46 p.m.

that's a good data point. cars dont rust a lot where I am (very little salt), so that may be working against me finding something...

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/11/24 3:43 p.m.

In reply to budget_bandit :

You need to talk to Dusterdb13. I'll link him. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/11/24 3:45 p.m.

I'll keep my ears open. But none right now that I know of.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
3/11/24 5:28 p.m.

Gen3 4.8/5.3s are $4-600 every day of the week up here in the Southern Wisconsin. That's already pulled and fully dressed and often with harness/computer. 6.0s are $8-1000 and Gen4 stuff is starting to get cheap and plentiful.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/11/24 10:43 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

That's great. People want $900-$1000 for a pulled 5.3 w/o harness and $2000+ for a 6.0!

i might end up driving to Cincinnati and pulling something from a junkyard for maximum cheap

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/12/24 9:08 a.m.

How quick do you need it?

I've got a 4.8 near Columbus GA, but it's kinda buried in storage

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/12/24 9:16 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

not quick at all. It's for my Ventura that i'm busy cutting rust out of at the moment

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/12/24 9:39 a.m.

Don't know if it's easier for you to head north, or south 

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/12/24 9:59 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

i'd probably be more tempted to drive south for an engine that I know i could get, as opposed to driving north to a random junkyard and hoping one is there to be pulled. I think i'd have a decent chance of finding one, but i suppose not 100%

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/12/24 10:01 a.m.

I'll take $400. 

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/12/24 10:16 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

if nothing comes up in the local yard by the time i'm ready for an engine, ill keep that in mind

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/12/24 12:22 p.m.

Ok. 

I've got other related stuff too (transmissions, T56, intakes, etc)

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/12/24 12:35 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

i probably can't afford it, but how much do you want for a T56?

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
3/12/24 3:08 p.m.

What's cheap?  I've got a brand-new 4.8 that's never been fired . . .

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/12/24 3:17 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

I never planned on a brand new one, I'd have a hard time putting a price on that.

The junkyard near me charges about $240 for an engine including core fees if I pull it myself. I'd do that if they ever had any LSs in there.

How did you come by a brand new 4.8?

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
6/6/24 12:24 p.m.

Found a guy local to me selling a 5.3 with all accessories/ECM/harness for $600 and i think that's probably worth it. By the time I put gas in the truck to drive north, it would cost me ~$450 and i'd be taking somewhat of a gamble that there would be a usable engine in the yard...I was hoping to get it cheaper than that but i think that's just the way the cookie will crumble on this one.

I've had alerts set up on the local junkyard for 2 months for any truck/SUV with a 4.8/5.3 and in those 2 months there has been only 1 vehicle come in. not sure why the local yards are so bare

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
6/6/24 12:36 p.m.

That's a pretty solid deal and buying as complete of an engine as possible is the way to go.  You can disable VATs on that stock PCM with a $40 cable and free software if you don't want to invest in HP Tuners.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
6/6/24 12:54 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

that's great to know, because HP tuners is not in the budget.

Also: do you have any experience with the "sloppy tune cabinet" tunes? I'd love to get a cam in there, but a legit dyno tune is not in the budget. is one of the free ones going to be close enough that i could realistically drive it around? I would be okay with not optimized fuel economy or power production as long as it was decently driveable

Racebrick
Racebrick HalfDork
6/6/24 1:21 p.m.

I have a psi harness, oem computer, and hp tuners I am getting rid of. If you are interested let me know. The harness is for manual trans, cable throttle gen 3. I only use gen 3 aluminum 5.3 engines. They are often overlooked and cheap. Search for 2004 Buick rainier engine with "p" Vin and you may be pleasantly surprised. They don't interchange the same on many searches.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
6/6/24 1:24 p.m.

Do some reading on PCM Hammer and Universal Patcher. I would leave the engine stock, just pull the anti-theft off and run a stock calibration before you go crazy with a camshaft and other upgrades.

gsettle
gsettle Reader
6/6/24 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Racebrick :

SHHHHH!!!!

Now don't be telling the WWW about those engines

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
6/6/24 2:43 p.m.

In reply to Racebrick :

i appreciate that offer. I'm hoping to get an harness in a bundle with my engine, but I will keep that in mind.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lZBtEnH4RK2P9lVGCfpkhIC7EN0xAZ092hzCsRq5L0fIgMCpfaF9q7EcoQrGUX4U