pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
10/8/24 12:12 p.m.

What is the preferred method of getting lights under a roll up door in a garage?  I have a two-car wide garage door with a walk-thru door next to it, something like 26 feet wide total from wall to wall, and I would like some light under the thing so I can work with the door up as well as down.  Anyone have a solution they want to show off?  In a narrow garage I've used wire rope but that was a temporary solution.

I was reminded of this by the Barina LED light thread and didn't want to thread jack and I don't think this topic has been brought in a while.

No Time
No Time UberDork
10/8/24 12:43 p.m.

Probably not what your looking to do, but loading dock lights could be an option:

Dock lights

iansane
iansane SuperDork
10/8/24 2:23 p.m.

In my old house I mounted a bunch of those Barrina lights to the door itself. Grabbed an extension cord on a reel to mount at the end of the track on one side. I just disabled the locking mechanism. I could power them with the door up or down.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/8/24 2:34 p.m.

John Paige (RIP) aka Rad_Capz aka NOT A TA attached light fixtures to his garage door tracks:

Brilliant

The light brackets he fabbed are on page 6. Do yourself a favor, read the whole thread. Dude was seriously inspirationally clever.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
10/8/24 3:34 p.m.

My solution wasn't anywhere near as elegant as Rad_Capz..

I just drilled holes in the rails and used those really shallow/wide head bolts to screw into the light housing:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IoejsMoidMGSRYWogOtCGL8ukWNEQtaYBJsFxuBj2l8g5iv4jqgKLkS7LCDaztGt