1 2 3 4
Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
1/26/14 3:53 p.m.

^ Yes on the race trans.

axeman_g
axeman_g New Reader
1/27/14 7:46 a.m.
jj wrote: We can use full race tires right, just no aero? I am at work tonight though

Race Tires????? I have been running on Sports. Not near my xbox but I will have to check this out. I think r-tires will bump you automatically to S class...

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
1/27/14 9:28 p.m.

In reply to axeman_g:

Not necessarily, it definitely takes a lot of points away from power and weight management. I've been on sports for most of the builds ive made as well.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
1/28/14 5:00 a.m.

Just depends on what PI your car starts at. The Pinto, for instance, will take everything you throw at it (almost) just to get to C class. Other cars won't even let you take any weight off, put any tires on, or even put any power to it.

rodmankn3
rodmankn3 New Reader
1/31/14 8:08 a.m.

why not focus on power to weight and leave class open. much more cars could be made for the series. I have a bunch of 200/2200 and 250/2800 but won't come down to C425. they stay at low to mid B unless I run stock tires on some of them, which would be ridiculous for a race car.

also have some ideas for other options for racing classes that were very close to each other with cars with different power and weight, but were very close on the times.

let me know if you want to hear it and if I should do it in a new post.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
2/1/14 12:44 p.m.

The current system works, and has been working for well over a year now, as I remember racing these cars with these builds at Christmastime 2012. Trying some of the builds that were great then, and suck now, tells me that it has evolved a bit over the past year, and in a good way I might add.

Racing with you all last night was great fun, and very educational. I found some cars that I thought would be good aren't, and some that I was doubtful on are actually very good. Trying to find one for all tracks... that will be one heckuva challenge.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
2/1/14 2:21 p.m.

We tried doing one weekend where it was just 200/2200, and no other restrictions. Some of the cars started getting into A class, cause there's no way to set the tire choice for the lobby. The C class limit keeps the racing a whole lot closer than than power/weight does.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
2/6/14 7:55 a.m.

So in honor of the original intent of this series, I dove into the SCCA's IT rules yesterday and rebuilt my existing "IT" MK2 GTi to real ITA spec. It came out to 199 HP, ~2270 lbs, and C424. I did a few C class events with the AI and the car is a blast. I was running 1:50s at Road Atlanta with default tune and some driver aids on - clearly room for improvement, but fairly realistic for me, I imagine. I'm going to apply the same rules to some of my other IT legal cars and see where they're at. Although cumbersome, it turned out better than my last attempt which was just trying to get the PI, HP, and weight to spec.

thedanimal
thedanimal New Reader
2/6/14 11:19 a.m.

Is there GRM club on F4? I am getting tired of racing against AI and the great unwashed of typical online lobbies who decide that X999 is always the best choice. Looking to race with some folks that actually enjoy racing. XBL name is woozydingus.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
2/6/14 2:25 p.m.

GRM club is "tgrm".

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
2/7/14 12:28 p.m.

In reply to racerfink:

I agree, when I played around in those lobbies it was entertaining.....very close racing even with a multitude of different cars.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
2/16/14 5:01 p.m.

It seems to matter if the lobby is set to private versus public.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
2/17/14 2:05 p.m.

When having NAT issues, try resetting (unplug, wait 30 secs) your router. Works 75% of the time for me.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
2/18/14 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Flyin Mikey J:

If you still remain in that 25%, look into opening the ports on your router....it helped me out alot, I still conflict with some people now, but it isn't on my end anymore.

I am getting peeved at the normal "Taken completely out of contention due to other players lag spiking with damage ON" I can throw down laps and race clean with the best of them, but refusing to turn damage off when "lag" has occurred and berkeleyed people over is kinda bullE36 M3.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
2/18/14 7:10 p.m.
jj wrote: I tried again last night comparing race tires vs sport tires+hp. One of the Lancias seemed a good compromise on sports, but it was still on average 1 second or so slower at Road Atlanta than the race tire builds. It would get to 129mph at the end of the straight vs 122/123mph for the race tire builds. I haven't found anything that would get to 199/2200 AND use race tires. The best one I have found yet is the 1969 Ferrari Dino.

198hp/2222lbs C425 I have a Fairlady on races right at the limits of the rules. It's a handful for me to control though. I'll lay down one quick lap for me, then the next lap is 4 seconds off. Eventually I may find the right tune.

Most of my builds though are on race tires, as close to weight as I can get, and between 150 and 170hp.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
2/18/14 11:32 p.m.

In reply to griffin729:

Griffin, you're welcome to try my 2000gt setup anytime. Its 195hp/169tq 2209lbs.......4.5, 5.6, 5.9, 6.7, and 5.8. For the speed, handling, accel, launch, and braking. Very grippy car for being sport tires.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
2/19/14 4:57 a.m.

Actually just a couple days ago I built a DeLorean that is surprisingly quick and easy to drive. I'm looking forward to trying it out, but I'm getting ready to head out for a convention in about an hour and I'm not going to be home until late Sunday night.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
2/19/14 11:27 a.m.

In reply to griffin729:

Its all good, I tossed it into the storefront(ITS FREE) under Road Atlanta Full with IT7 in the description.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
2/19/14 11:16 p.m.
yamaha wrote: I am getting peeved at the normal "Taken completely out of contention due to other players lag spiking with damage ON" I can throw down laps and race clean with the best of them, but refusing to turn damage off when "lag" has occurred and berkeleyed people over is kinda bullE36 M3.

Damage Off tends to incite some into driving like Shiny Happy People. Collisions set to Default works better, as it will "ghost" a lag spike, while letting close racing contact happen naturally. There will be damage as usual for driving like muppets, just not for lag spikes (or drunken fool going head on into traffic)

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
2/20/14 12:39 a.m.

Doesn't always take care of lag spikes........the ones involving straightaway bungee cord lag come to mind.

From this group that's always racing, I don't think we have shiny happy people who will intentionally divebomb people(I have seen brake checks on the exit of corners though)

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
2/21/14 1:02 a.m.

Actually, it has proved quite effective at that very type of lag spikes.

And I know none of the regulars in this lobby are shiny happy people, but every now and then some random noob will pop in and drive like a muppet for a race or two before getting either bored or booted.

Brake check? Have we raced together?

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
2/21/14 12:08 p.m.

In reply to jj:

I never could get my fairlady to do anything worthwhile, its fast but nothing I did could reign in the handling.

Simple response is to boot the random noob asap.....most people still playing FM4 are playing it compete, not troll people.....And you sly bastard(not really, I can't remember who always used to do that)

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
2/22/14 11:58 a.m.

Yamaha, what's your XBL Tag?

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
2/23/14 9:16 p.m.

mtx95sho

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
2/24/14 2:14 a.m.

Nope, it wasn't you Last time I got to race with the GRMers, especially at Road Atlanta, my natural line through turn 3 sorta interfered with some others' line. This lead to some brake check accusations. If I did, it was purely accident/coincidence.

Either way, now I know it wasn't you.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yyMdjty2B8udfVuaA5SRuFs93v4Sjnw6UZIV1tY7WP99smOJ0n4cSZkUdJIYfarQ