Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
9/27/11 7:31 p.m.

So, I think I am going to attempt a run at the LSR event here in Ohio next season. I am going to spend the winter stuffing a 100cc two stroke in the undercarriage of my Honda MB5, tuning it to within an inch of it's life, losing weight like crazy (on the bike and on me), and tweaking the aero.

so, since it is already a small bike, how do I make it smaller? Low frontal area and light weight, combined with proper tuning and some work with sprockets should get me somewhere right?

What are the best ways to go about the aero? I've seen the worlds fastest indian...

What do I make the aero parts out of? Aluminum sheet? Fiberglass? Carbon? I know Per's 100$ a pound rule comes in to play, is it worth it? I know there are a few LSR competitors that add weight for stability, but under 100 MPH I don't figure it will factor much.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
9/27/11 7:40 p.m.

You might find some info here

http://www.landracing.com/forum/

I should be running my 125 next season

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/27/11 8:39 p.m.

Fiberglass. Unless you have extra money to burn then carbon fiber.

flountown
flountown Reader
9/27/11 10:05 p.m.

If you look up "One Man's Dream: The John Britten Story" he uses a wireframe to mock up his aero, then lays glass/filler over it to create a plug or mold, whatever the term is, then lays the real glass/carbon...

minimac
minimac SuperDork
9/28/11 12:52 a.m.

Craig Vetter has a lot of interesting reading on streamlining on his website. The Rifle body kit should work just fine for your application.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
9/28/11 7:44 a.m.

All you need to know.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
9/28/11 7:45 a.m.

Well don't forget your MB5 is air cooled! Enclose it in a fiber bubble and strange things may happen

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
9/28/11 7:49 a.m.

Aww too bad - I was hoping to see you and the MB5 at Thunderdrome next April! 100cc is over the limit.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
9/28/11 8:20 a.m.

where in ohio do they do LSR? I know it could be anywhere near my house as there are nothing but straight roads with no turns.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
9/28/11 8:55 a.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: where in ohio do they do LSR? I know it could be anywhere near my house as there are nothing but straight roads with no turns.

They are allowing the racing at the Wilmington Airport where DHL used to fly out from....

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
9/28/11 10:41 a.m.
bastomatic wrote: Aww too bad - I was hoping to see you and the MB5 at Thunderdrome next April! 100cc is over the limit.

The 100cc engine is the same basic structure, and mount in the same exact locations. Its an hour job to swap them out! No worries, Ill hit the drome!

Cotton
Cotton Dork
9/28/11 12:54 p.m.

I'm so glad ECTA is moving to Wilmington. That's much closer for me. I plan to be at the April meet with the k1200s.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
9/28/11 5:35 p.m.

I sense a GRM meet up coming in Dub-town!

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
9/28/11 5:51 p.m.
flountown wrote: If you look up "One Man's Dream: The John Britten Story" he uses a wireframe to mock up his aero, then lays glass/filler over it to create a plug or mold, whatever the term is, then lays the real glass/carbon...

GRM wireframe = chicken wire ?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/29/11 5:43 a.m.

Is there a minimum height requirement?

Luke
Luke SuperDork
9/29/11 9:38 a.m.
44Dwarf wrote: Well don't forget your MB5 is air cooled! Enclose it in a fiber bubble and strange things may happen

How do you go about dealing with this?

It's possibly just because I'm a hopeless fan of The Worlds Fastest Indian, but I reckon this is a super cool project. Following with great interest!

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
9/29/11 1:25 p.m.

also air cooled. Looks like strange things may have happened before they enclosed it in a fiber bubble.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
9/29/11 1:35 p.m.

It isn't as grass roots as chicken wire and fiberglass, but a Honda GP bike fairing is going to be a good as you can get without a wind tunnel.

This was designed by the guys at HRC, not the marketing people who designed the Fury.

RS 125 body on eBay

it is small - a lot of existing bodywork will look way too big on a MB5.

stafford1500
stafford1500 New Reader
9/29/11 3:46 p.m.

do your best to shroud the wheels to below the centers
avoid any forward facing edges on any panels you make
Lots of small fateners is better than a few big ones
try to make the rider (you) fit into the body as much as possible
A reference I read regarding motorcyle aero years ago had faired bikes from the 50s showing better termianl speed than modern sport bikes with big power.
Make sure the aero doesn't make it unstable (weight in the front can overcome lift created).
fairing the rider is the hardest part, had a superbike team that wanted to test with rider in our tunnel to get it right...

Steve Stafford

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1cfUC1WFkCVwaLacz6Zk9P7aJmLBfvAGxe73tQD7vdLtwNSqz1QAkejSzuk36m49