KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/12/22 7:16 a.m.

So after searching far and wide for a reliable, inexpensive, sporty, fun car I found this for my son.  A 2002 LS Miata.   125,000 miles rust free.  Biggest Eibach front bar they sell and Koni sports.  (The son wanted more low so the Konis have been replaced with Tein Street Flex coilovers).

Because he didn't have the leave time from his job with the AirForce I offered to deliver the car cross country.   TigerMom then decided she'd like to tag along for the ride (I suspect she'll regret that choice by mid-Texas).  We leave on Thursday morning and our flight is a redeye on Monday night.

The plan is to burn up as much mileage as we can tolerate the first two days and then wanted the southwest over the weekend, I've never been to the Grand Canyon and there are about a million other places we'd like to see at least a little of.   Maybe start doing more of these big roadtrips now the kids are grown.

I believe we'll avoid as much of the weather as possible and take I-40 so day one will be Lexington-Nashville-Memphis-Little Rock-Oklahoma City. 

Stay tuned here for trip updates!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/12/22 7:23 a.m.

I've done a multi-day trip in a Miata with two people. Luggage space (or lack of it) is the big issue. Forget hard suitcases. One small crushable bag for each person. Otherwise, it should be fun!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/12/22 7:32 a.m.

Still got the konis?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/12/22 7:36 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Already installed on the $600 E36 M3 box from Alabama (nicer than it deserves cheeky) but in keeping with it's sub-Challenge price upgrades.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/12/22 7:41 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

Can't blame a guy for asking!

Even though mine is not challenge budget anymore, its still super low budget.

Enjoy your trip!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/13/22 2:56 p.m.

Trip update.  48 miles on the road and the CEL popped on.  Scan tool says it's related to the Cam Angle Sensor I just replaced.  Seems to be running fine but it's annoying.

So far it's getting a pretty usual 25+ mpg.  Not great for such a tiny car but not terrible and way better than the Suburban.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/15/22 4:59 p.m.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/15/22 5:01 p.m.

Meteor Crater.  50,000 years ago a big chunk of space debris made a sizable hole in the desert.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/15/22 5:03 p.m.

Petrified Forest.  They look like logs but are fully rocks.   218 Million years old.   These "logs" were fully petrified by the time T-Rex was wandering the land 110 million years ago.   Crazy stuff.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/15/22 5:06 p.m.

Mountain.  It looks like Smaug should be hoarding gold inside it.   It's 12,500 feet high but the interstate is around 6,000 so it not "that" high I suppose.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WhDpzM1KsKTb8Z50Z49VU6tRfbiUVetwh4gMIbzRCm4UvFWfAT6noOwcGC8XYuxl