1 2 3

What was i thinking?   smiley  Could it be the recent cancer scare caused another mid-life crisis?

For about a year I have been wanting a daily driver that wasn't my 350 work truck.  And, a dependable enough ride that if I up and decided to go to Watkins Glen I could jump in and go.   We already have 5 licensed and insured vehicles on the farm.  But, as Tanner says, you need one for every purpose.  I decided I wanted a sports car.   But, being a boomer I don't believe a sports car should have 4 doors.  I know a Miata is the answer, but i don't fit comfortably in the new hardtop.  (how do you say clostraphobia?  helmet won't fit either without a Gurney bump)   And OBTW, I wanted fairly new with all the gizmos, like back up cameras, and seat warmers.   

I'm a true believer in mid-engine sportscars so my real desire was a C8 with Z51 goodies.  Way too expensive.  Second choice was a Cayman, but the "Porsche tax" scared me.  After about 6 months of study, I gave up on the mid-engine criteria, so it came down to a Toyota GR86.   Decided it had to be a premium edition.   I plan to street drive it.  I have stick shift cars.  But in traffic I wanted an auto... but with paddle-shifters and a "sport mode" button, I should be able to have a little fun on 18" wheels with Michelin Pilots.  Then the fun began...

OBTW, business has been good.  I wanted to pay cash.  I found dealers don't like cash buyers because they loose the back end revenue of selling loans.   And, dealer mark-ups on GR86s can get a bit crazy.  Resulting in me occasionally making a scene as I left dealerships all over Florida.

I finally came to terms with buying used.  After all they are Japanese cars.  One older edition in the neighborhood is already at 160,000 care free miles.  The "used" decision expanded the market a bit.  But, didn't lower prices a lot.

Oh, and I just couldn't see me driving a bright red, or orange sportscar with my driving style.  I do have advanced degrees in driving schools in about 4 counties.  I'd rather be less visible.   Asphalt gray would probably be the best choice.

All of a sudden an opportunity for a unit that looked good popped up... in Colorado.  I was in a "what the hell" mood, and pulled the trigger.   I have some dear friends in Colorado that could stand a visit.  Pikes Peak is open to the top.  A road trip could be fun.   Pushed the "buy" button.

So... here goes.   I fly into Colorado Sunday night to see what I really bought.     

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects New Reader
5/5/23 4:19 p.m.

Congrats! I'll be watching the roads for you when I'm out near Havana...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/5/23 4:31 p.m.

Nice tags on the post :)

Congrats! Nice time for a fly and drive for sure. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/5/23 4:32 p.m.

I'm in - yes to Pikes Peak. 

This is 1996 - it's been paved.

BKRacingLLC
BKRacingLLC New Reader
5/5/23 8:43 p.m.

Still think you should have gotten the C7, but this should be almost as good an adventure. Looking forward to seeing it.

Butch,

That C7 was certainly wizzy.  But 10 years old, unknown history, and about $15K over budget.  Plus one VetteKart in Florida is enough.  wink   And, I'd get in trouble with those extra 4 cylinders.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/8/23 12:48 p.m.

I love commercial flying...NOT!

Slept on Dallas Airport floor after one flight canceled at 1 am. Caught a 4:30 flight into Colorado to see dawn on Pikes Peak from the airport.

Yes Virginia, there are good honest used car salesmen.

Brandon at Neighborhood Auto Brokers, Pueblo Co.

First stop...5 miles later.  New Michelin pilots for the trip home.

And...fresh oil.

BKRacingLLC
BKRacingLLC New Reader
5/8/23 4:26 p.m.

Looking good! And assuming DeSantis lets you bring it into Florida, you've got two months to get your tags...

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
5/8/23 5:47 p.m.

Oooooh. Nice color. When I was looking at these it was either this or Neptune Blue.

Cute license plate frame.  Maybe it will get you out of a ticket. wink

Thank Sean O'Connell for sneaking that license plate frame on.

If one is here and driving a new to him car in the first hour...where to go?  Pikes Peak!

14,115 feet up.  If I stayed in Colorado  this thing would need a turbo.

OBTW, electrics cars seem not to loose anything in the altitude.

Still got gas in the tank, so...Garden of the God's of course.

Sean caught doing the dirty deed.

Still got gas in the tank, so...Garden of the God's of course.

Clan identifier applied...time to turn East.

5/9/23 12:06 p.m.

I25 southbound. Light traffic, not a cloud in the sky. Mile long coal trains. Endless horizons except for snow capped peaks to the west.

Enjoying the car as a cruiser. But, as a old curmudgeon I'm struggling to figure out all the numerous screen settings.

Hate the "safety features in the cruise control"

You sit so low that the side mirrors create blind spots that you must get used to.

BKRacingLLC
BKRacingLLC New Reader
5/9/23 12:20 p.m.

Just figured it out a month ago, but 2" convex spot mirrors (from AutoZone, of course) are your friend...

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
5/9/23 12:21 p.m.

Awesome thread and pictures! Never seen a GR in that color, I like it. 

What was the car in front of yours while you were getting your bedazzled plate frame put on? Was it one of those Sevilles with the 4/6/8 engine??

5/9/23 12:45 p.m.

I25 southbound. Light traffic, not a cloud in the sky. Mile long coal trains. Endless horizons except for snow capped peaks to the west.

Enjoying the car as a cruiser. But, as a old curmudgeon I'm struggling to figure out all the numerous screen settings.

Hate the "safety features in the cruise control"

You sit so low that the side mirrors create blind spots that you must get used to.

5/9/23 12:48 p.m.

A few thoughts about the GR86...

Most modern drivers would think the steering is heavy. I like it. Feels like all my race cars.

And I can drive with this hat on and it doesn't rub the ceiling.

5/9/23 12:51 p.m.

Over Raton pass and into New Mexico...its all downhill to Florida now.

The car had worn Pilot 230s. Ok in dry Colorado.  But it rains in Florida so I installed all season pilot 540s.  It is going to be more DD than track car.

Gas stuff... For 24 hours I thought the car didn't have a locking gas door.  Until I tried to open it when the car was "locked".

Car loves 91 or 93 octane.  I wouldn't call it an economy car. But compared to my 350 truck...

Oh, when I was talking about the mirrors blocking vision..its out to the 10 oclock and 2:30 sides that are blocked.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mUKVHs0kJYR0uSIituSGPCj5CPCDEtEWNFWoEZh0CYCyy1ZEUKnqq6pfmJyjpYBY