TeamMC
TeamMC New Reader
9/15/16 10:07 p.m.

It sounded like a great idea at the time. What could go wrong? Buy a car, drive it to Florida and do this "challenge thing". Get something super reliable and comfy car to drive 2500 miles each way.

I scored, $700 for a 1997 Crown Victoria. It'll go a million miles at least. Or maybe just to the Utah border. Who would'a guessed the engine would blow up? Not me.

If you thought I scored finding a $700 Crown Vic, you're going to be totally jelly when you found out I found a 2nd Crown Vic with a "race engine" for only 200 bucks. I love America!

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
9/16/16 11:29 a.m.

This sounds like an epic adventure!

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/16/16 12:32 p.m.

Yep, definitely in on this!

TeamMC
TeamMC New Reader
9/21/16 7:18 p.m.

I guess we gotta get this engine in if we're going to hit the road. It isn't really like the guys on the T.V. show where they break down, find a spare engine in a tractor or crop duster or something like that and throw it into their broken car, and drive of to the race track. All sorts of stuff doesn't switch over on the new "old" engine. On up side, the spare engine we bought has the better P.I. intake and heads. On the down side it's going to take actual "mechanic skills" to get all the stuff on my 1997 car work with the slightly different intake. How may days til we have to head of to Florida? I better get some more beer.

floatingdoc
floatingdoc New Reader
1/2/17 8:00 a.m.

I love the big Panther platform fords, had three of them. Any follow up?

TeamMC
TeamMC New Reader
1/3/17 6:01 p.m.

In reply to floatingdoc:

We did get the car running at 11pm the night before we were suppose to leave. However, it was not running well enough for a 2500 mile trip. We had a problem with our intake not matching up to the heads. Work has continued on the Vic. Got the correct performance improved intake and started working on the suspension. Can't believe how cheap parts are for these. There are so many dead Crown Vic's in the junk yard with all sorts of good bits and pieces.
Progress has been slow but it is happening. It will move over to the "builds" form after a few more changes.

floatingdoc
floatingdoc New Reader
2/26/17 11:32 a.m.

Thanks for the update, I will be watching for the next one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xWC4zIn47mIs3qCxLYFf60BkxT1KqexDlLOktfJv7Knp7VwNTaGJ51W5LNq0arKn