4 5 6 7 8
11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
7/10/24 8:17 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

Amazing, just amazing.  The "Huntsmen" rock!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
7/10/24 9:22 p.m.

I'm  having a blast on this trip! Thank you

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/11/24 2:48 a.m.
Jerry said:

I came into work 30min early to make up for yesterday's BMV & title office trip, and it was perfect to catch up on your adventure when I got here.

Work, I can attest, is the best time to catch up on GRM stuffs laugh

7/11/24 2:52 a.m.
TRoglodyte said:

I'm  having a blast on this trip! Thank you

Many thanks, sir!   It's great having you along!

7/11/24 2:56 a.m.
11GTCS said:

Amazing, just amazing.  The "Huntsmen" rock!

I'll be honest, this trip was one of my few good ideas.  I'm really glad it worked out the way it did.

7/11/24 3:04 a.m.

There we were, still camped out in the middle of no where...  and holy crap.  Do we have company?

So, we woke up at 6:30 this morning.  The eldest was up a bit earlier and is already playing with that dagger he bought, and again the sun is working against us....

The shade from the trees is now "direct sunlight" as the sun is coming up from the other side.  We simply move everything accordingly.  In doing so, we hear an echo off the hills that sounds like a donkey has been given a megaphone.

For my chores, I have to fill the stove with fuel from our jerry can.  I brought a siphon hose along for this exact occasion, but it sucks as the opening for the fuel tank on the stove is almost a perfect slip-fit seal around the siphon hose.  I can't really see how fast the fuel is flowing or how much fuel is in there...  Probably easier just to pour straight from the can.

Our charging situation hasn't improved.  Our photo-phone is completely dead (again), and my other phone is at 34%.  I remember our fridge has a USB port and plug the photo phone there.  Unfortunately it's TDC on the fridge and stuff gets piled on top of it, so I have to be very careful not to damage the port.

Eventually coffee and breakfast are started (it'll be instant packets of oatmeal today)

7/11/24 3:14 a.m.

From the direction of the well, I hear that donkey again.  It's quieter this time, but the eldest and I decide to go check it out.  I do spy a man who hasn't seen us yet, so I double back to the truck to grab a cold bottle of water out of the fridge.  Once in hand I make my way back to the man and notice the kiddo has his dagger with him.  I tell him to put it back in the truck before we continue.

We meet the man and of course can't communicate.  I give him the water and he's appreciative, and he makes a motion like "sleep" which I interpret as he's asking if we slept here.  I answer in the affirmative.

The man's donkey is with him, and the man is using the well water to fill the adjacent troth.  I wonder if he's going to take a bath or something, but say goodbye and head back to camp to eat.  I tell my kid "can you believe this guy gets to do this every day" and now we're both jealous.

Back at camp and eating the oats we made, the youngest is updating his card and shouts "BINGO!".  It's official, we have a winner!

After that, it's time to break camp and that is like herding cats with these two younger Huntsmen...  There was a lost sock (found), constant reminders to brush teeth, they don't want to wear this shirt, they want that one...  Anyhoo, while all this is going on a herd of goats arrives on the hills around the well where the man is and everything makes sense.  He's a shepherd, and I decide to name him "Book".

The eldest Huntsman is the first to report that he has to poop (and it can not wait) which was followed by the second.  I break out the bucket and dig a hole about 50-yards away. It's official now "WE ARE CAMPING!!!!!" laugh

Since the boys aren't helping with camp, I hand them each a small plastic trash bags and tell them to pick up litter (which they are happy to do). 

7/11/24 3:30 a.m.

Mrs. Huntswoman was third in line and we're all having a good laugh now.  See, Mrs. Huntswoman is actually "Mrs. City Woman".  She was basically born and raised in San Antonio and would be the type who could live happily ever after above a small corner book store as long as there was a fancy coffee shop nearby.  She's only started doing this sort of stuff since we got married and even spent our first 4wd trip with her eyes closed the whole time...

A decade and a half later and here we are laugh

Also, this poop bucket?  Super comfortable for a poo with a view.  Everyone who's used it is impressed.  Unfortunately though, Shepherd Book arrives just as Mrs. Hungary was finishing.  Luckily everyone's business was happening privately away from camp a bit so no one saw anything, but it was enough to make us all laugh.

Back to breaking up camp, and younger Huntsmen still not helping, I hand them each a plastic bag and tell them to pick up trash.  Even out here on a family vacation the rule is "Always be Gamblin" wink

Here's our water intake for the night, by the way:

Shephard book sets up in the middle of the oasis, and I notice he has a buddy tending to the goats over at the well still.  I break out two coffee cups and give one to him, and motion to give the other to his partner in crime (we'll call him Jayne).  He's thankful and we go on about our business.

The Younger Huntsmen are SUPER interested in the Shepherd though.  Having finished their litter pick-up, they're hanging around with him and the eldest comes running back exclaiming he's got a fire starter (the fuzz from the bark of a palm tree).

Book and Jayne invite us over and have us sit down. We quickly establish we don't speak Arabic or French but they want us to eat.  In this animal skin they have what looks to be cous-cous.  It's a black skin and it hangs in the sun all day to cook what's inside, so it's super warm.  They mixed it with veg oil they have, added some curry for seasoning, and we eat it by pinching it together and popping it in our mouths.

Jayne is also handing back a coffee cup, now full of goat milk.  we pass it around a bit, and the kids love it.  "it don't get much fresher than that!" I exclaim.  But I do notice that Book is getting tea ready and that means hours of sitting.  I'm afraid we don't have that much time today.  Touzer is a 5 hour drive still, and we have another camp to set up on the other end.  We thank them both very much and then finish packing up (just our tent and solar charger left at this point).  Our solar charger was in the direct sunlight last night and this morning so it's got our power-bank up to 55%.  Not bad.

I didn't want to be cheeky again and make strangers pose for pictures, but if you zoom in on this one you'll see Book's donkey as well as him setting up his camp behind the palm there.

7/11/24 3:54 a.m.

We have to double back past Chenini to grab cell reception for our GPS again.  The youngest's playlist is on the radio to start our trip and for what must be the 4th time "Sunflower" begins and sets a calm and cool mood in the truck.  We're not saying anything yet, but I think we're all pretty sure that this is going to be the tune of the trip:

This is 100% because the youngest is obsessed with the Miles Morales Spiderman movie, and downloaded the playlist for it.

we get reception eventually and head out.  It's all sandland today, and the long/straight roads they have to offer.

And man... is it hot today!

By 10:30 in the morning we're already running into overheat issues with our phones.  Dropping them out of direct sunlight helps them out, but it's difficult when they're attached to a charger.

Also, I really thought I got more pictures from today as well, but I guess not.  We're heading across a causeway built by the military that crosses over a salt-flat.  It shows as a lake on google maps, but I can promise you there is no water there.

About 12-km before we hit that causeway though, we pulled off the main drag in a pretty decent sized city to get some fuel.  The first fuel station was an Agip with proper pumps, but they didn't have any benzine.  I'm not really worried as I have a jerry can still full in the back, but I would like to avoid risking things if I can.  I really have no idea what Touzer is going to be like and this is where they filmed the sand scenes in the original Star Wars Movie.  Looking at the map, I can see we stopped in Qibli.

It's really bothering me that we didn't get photos of this place but thinking back it's understandable why.  We were really just stopping in this place to use an ATM, get some groceries (2-days worth) and buy some fuel.  Not exactly something you take photos of, but man what an experience.  I mean picture "local" driving with motorcycles everywhere.  Us on the sidewalk in disrepair going up one side looking for a restaurant (not finding any, but we do get some really good baguettes from a bakery) then going down the other.  Eventually giving up and stumbling across a Monoprix supermarket, then carrying groceries and water.  Striking out at the ATM 3 times but figuring out that it was because we were entering in how much money we wanted instead of just using one of the preselected options (we pull out 300TND, or about $100). 

But I did get photos of me getting gas.  I gave up on trying to find a fuel station and just went local.  When we were walking I asked if he had benzine and while the man was still smoking his cigarette (surrounded by these cans) he let me smell what he had in a can.  It smelled like unleaded so I told him I'd bring my truck over.  Here goes:

Whatever he's dumping in, the rest of the country is running on it so why not my Toyota?  I get what I think is 40-liters and pay $60.  I'm pretty sure I got overcharged, but i don't care.  That was an experience.

Speaking of experiences, I tried tying my shemagh for the first time.  It helps in direct sunlight, but when driving I decide I prefer to leave it alone (or around my neck).

7/11/24 3:57 a.m.

All fueled up and restocked on water, we're ready to cross the desert!

7/11/24 3:58 a.m.

and a while later,  we come out the other side!

7/11/24 4:26 a.m.

The destination for today is called "Star Wars Canyon" and you can 100% find it by typing that into maps:

We pull up and it is berkin HOT.  For the first time we're really starting to feel it.  this place is funny because it's a "nothing road" and then drops down into a parking lot that can facilitate tour busses.  laugh

I also have to pee though, so I duck out of sight of that mosque and do so in the dirt.  Other Huntsmen follow suit.

knowing what to do now though isn't easy.  There aren't any signs to point stuff out but we finds some tracks headed into the canyon and decide to follow those.  I printed out pictures beforehand in an effort to make sure we knew what we were seeing.  There's an R2D2 spot, and an Indiana Jones spot.  I want to try to hit both.  As I track the footsteps (kinda easy, but the other huntsmen aren't able to do so in the hard terrain) we see a lone motorcyclist pull up.  The truck isn't locked but I'm betting he's a tourist too.

Soon, we find R2:

That mission complete, we need to look for the Indiana Jones spot and for that the youngest and I decide to continue down the canyon.  Our certainty level is low at this point as this canyon wont continue forever and I don't see ANYTHING that could possibly look like the scene I'm looking for in Indiana Jones.  After a short walk, I find it but getting the shot will be difficult as the eldest and the Mrs. have stopped in a shady spot some yards back (they're feeling cooked)

Youngest and I start taking photos, and eventually the other two catch up.  The tombstone shaped rock is our reference point:

It's funny how small this canyon is, and how vast they make it look when filming.  Definitely something we're going to remember.

Good times

7/11/24 4:36 a.m.

Next up is the city of Tanis from Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Remember the dig site where he put the staff in the ground and found the way to the Ark?  This is where it was filmed.  This was an "optional extra" for us on this trip as directions to it don't really seem to exist.  It's on google maps though if you type it in so we take what we have printed out and type in what we can and we're hoping to make the best of it.

Honestly I'm surprised we're doing this though as Mrs. Huntswoman is dropping fast.  I didn't expect her to want to go.  The heat really gets to her and it's finally happening on this trip.  Honestly I'm surprised she's made it this far without any issues.  Youngest and I pick up our pace and head to the truck to dig out some cold water.  In doing so we meet the motorcyclist.  His name is Jonah and he's ridden from the UK!

We talk for a minute while Mrs. Huntswoman cools down.  The ice cold water really did the trick.

Drive time to Tanis is 4 minutes and I tried to plot it out the best I could from my desk before the trip.  There are a lot of date farms we're going to have to navigate through, and nothing is really looking like I was expecting now that we're here.  Hubs are still locked in though so lets see what sort of trouble we can find:

We try a few different spots and even wheel through the sand a bit but can't find the lost city...

I do get out of the truck and climb a few hills for a better view (the heat doesn't bother me the way it does the other three) but still no Tanis...

ah well.

7/11/24 4:40 a.m.

Striking out on Tanis, it's time to head to the Lars Homestead (exterior this time).  Getting some wind through the truck feels nice.  Camp will be 40-mins away from the homestead so we should be unpacking at a decent time if all goes well.  The drive will take us through the city of Touzer and lemme tell ya, it is NICE!

It's funny because the trees get tall, everything gets green, and you start seeing proper restaurants, stores, and fuel stations.  It feels too "west" to be Africa.  Even the driving is better!  We make a serious mental note of this place.  If we need dinner tonight or lunch tomorrow, we're heading into this town.

7/11/24 4:49 a.m.

Out the other side, we're back in sandland.  There's a university and a solar farm, but that's just about it.

The older Huntsmen start commenting about how now we're in "real sand" and the youngest says "dad, we should drive through that!"

Which prompts the eldest to ask "wait, yeah dad.  How ARE we going to get to this place?  Is there a road?"

I've been waiting the whole trip to say this:  "Road?  Where we're going, we don't need 'road'" devil

A mosque serves as my landmark to swerve left off the highway and into the soft sand.  It's just the initial bit between the road and the hard-packed salt flat I need to get through but momentum is on my side (there's a reason I left the hubs in).  It slows us quite a bit (it really is soft) but out the other end we're foot loose and fancy free!

7/11/24 4:55 a.m.

Jerry, this one is for you sir.

I hardly think I'm the only one that scene resonated with, and I was much younger than Luke Skywalker when I first saw it.   Frustrated with the situation I was born into, powerless to change it yet, but all the same  I knew I was going to be much much bigger than anything my current life had to offer me.  To have the youngest pose his pose where Luke looked off into the binary sunset, looking for something more out there... I'm hoping the trend gets passed down.

7/11/24 4:59 a.m.

Of course, though.  We're alone out here.  And if you leave us alone for too long, things tend to get silly:

Who wore it better?

7/11/24 5:03 a.m.

Driving back to camp we again drive through Touzer.  It's TONS of date farms along the way and we even have our first camel sighting!

ok rule breaking time because we had a lot of fun with the kids in that truck.  We waved, they waved.  Our kids waved, then the REALLY started waving.  Eventually we'd pass and everyone would wave some more. Had to get the moment on camera.

7/11/24 5:10 a.m.

Aaaaaand camp

This is an established campground this time "Espace Badi" is the name and it is GREEN!  Probably a converted date farm.  We're guided into a spot for tents and pay for the night.  After that we're left to our our own devices, but man there are fruit trees EVERYWHERE.  I immediately spot a lime tree right next to the tent plus a pommegranite tree/bush thingie which I've never gotten to see before.  I love it.

But I also have to cook and that means filling that fuel tank on the stove.  Opting to skip the siphon hose this time, I open the jerry can to pour and immediately spray myself with fuel (heat expands things).

Bummer.

It's nothin to get cleaned up.  Tonight will be Curried lentils for the adults.  Hot dogs in baguettes plus corn for the kiddos.

And since we're out of gin, we mix the rum with coke and call it a night.  (I do notice that the rum is rather hot from today.  A mistake I don't plan on making again)

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/11/24 8:43 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

Jerry, this one is for you sir.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
7/11/24 3:22 p.m.

Give Sheik Yerbouti my regards if you see him!

7/12/24 5:20 a.m.
TRoglodyte said:

Give Sheik Yerbouti my regards if you see him!

Yaaaaassss!

Man, I was just old-man talking to my kids about this stuff yesterday.  I couldn't get them into Zappa. 

The eldest Huntsman is big into metal (previously he was a closet-classical music fan, so this was not a surprising transition) and doesn't like anything if it's not "metal"

Yeah, metal ain't bad but don't get too big for your britches kid.  The music we were raised on tore down walls...

7/12/24 5:52 a.m.

Unfortunately no updates today (or possibly over the weekend).  I'm getting caught up on Ukraine stuff.

Next week I'll probably have to break the updates into smaller chunks each day but am hoping to keep posting at least once on here each day.

Have a great weekend everyone!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
7/12/24 6:55 a.m.

Thanks for the ride along! Enjoy YOUR weekend Adventure Meister!

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/12/24 8:28 a.m.

Two Navy friends introduced me to Zappa back then.  I think I have Sheik & 1-2 other albums, online music has helped.  Thingfish is a treat unto itself.  And we all look forward to the next installment!

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iW990QEO5zge6sfl7GliPkCPs0MXgEKuxSwohoFOHM2VeffL8mz3XsWAyNg3PB1g