walton
walton New Reader
3/8/24 8:02 a.m.

Hey y'all

Attending the 6 hours of the Glen for the first time this year - any travel tips? 

Im coming from Houston so I intend to fly in -

what is the best airport?

do I need a car?

where should I stay? 

Restaurant recommendations? 

Thanks!

Walton

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/8/24 8:46 a.m.

In reply to walton :

Awesome! I went for years to The Glen for NASCAR, but never the IMSA race.

You'll definitely need a car. No mass transit or anything like that.

I've always drove in and stayed about 40 minutes away where the hotels were cheaper, either in Sayre or Cortland. The area doesn't have many hotels to choose from.

I'll leave the other recommendations to my fellow GRM-ers!

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa Reader
3/8/24 12:56 p.m.

In reply to walton :

Depending on how much time you have before/after the 6 Hours; check out these wineries on the east side of Seneca Lake:

Atwater,Bloomer Creek,Hector Wine Company

The International Motor Racing Research Center in Watkins Glen is a must visit.

If you're looking for old Fiat, Alfa, or Volvo parts; there's a field full of them on the east side of Seneca Lake before you hit the wineries.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
3/13/24 3:29 p.m.

Went a few years ago, and stayed at an AirBnB on Keuka Lake right near the town of Hammondsport, which is ~20-25 minutes away from the town of Watkins Glen.  Nice little town, and also has the Glenn Curtiss museum, which well worth it.  It's a bit less expensive, and honestly, the drive to and from the track is quite nice through the rolling hills.  

There are several waterfalls just outside WG, and if you have time for exploring, visiting them is a good way to see parts of the area outside the track.  The falls at Watkins Glen itself should be visited regardless.

BoulderG
BoulderG Reader
3/13/24 3:45 p.m.

It's a beautiful area in many ways. Expect rain.

Not much right around there - AirBnBs or even camping are good options. It's pretty far from lots of places, especially major airports.

Echoing Puddy46: definitely check out Watkins Glen State Park during off hours.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
3/18/24 6:26 a.m.

Seneca lodge is the motel where all the drivers would party.  It's pretty basic and "quirky", but the restaurant is excellent and the bar is legendary.  

You need to call and make a reservation.   It is right beside the state park and fairly close to the track.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k9EinomfJnkHleHLkN207HiZpmJLXbsXniaqsYN98Tpi8tstpUNoCbO652TcDQRb