Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
9/30/24 10:22 a.m.

So I have been towing for years and I tow a car hauler with various cars on it a few times a month in Texas so it's mostly flat highways. Towing, it does fine but I am sure I am right at the limits of its capacity and that worries me sometime.   It sags in the rear, but it pulls straight. I get 10 miles per gallon and we know the Land Cruiser is reliable, but I'm always on the hunt for the next best thing and even though I really don't need it would a pick up be better since a longer wheelbase?   Will it be safer on the road? I only pull at 65 miles an hour so speed isn't an issue   I haven't felt any hairy moments whatsoever. Should I add to my fleet or just continue with the status quo? 

dannyp84
dannyp84 HalfDork
9/30/24 12:04 p.m.

Wheelbase is your friend when towing. A longer pickup truck will likely give you a less stressful towing experience and possibly even at higher speeds, but if you haven't felt uncomfortable in the Land Cruiser and don't plan on towing anything heavier than what you've done so far, you might just want to do a sway controller to be on the safe side rather than upgrading your tow vehicle. I went from towing with a Nissan Frontier to a 2015 Silverado this year, and the extra capacity of the bigger truck just makes the whole experience a lot more relaxed and enjoyable. Lots of people will tell you that you can tow X with a 4 cylinder Ranger across the Rocky mountains, and I'm sure you could, but at no point will you enjoy that drive.

lownslow
lownslow Reader
9/30/24 9:10 p.m.

Invest in an equalizer hitch. That will help with the rear squat.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/30/24 9:40 p.m.
lownslow said:

Invest in an equalizer hitch. That will help with the rear squat.

100% correct! Even the cheapo at the hammer store will do the job you need, but setup can be confusing to some. 
There are easier to use styles, but many at MUCH higher prices, probably rolled of the same assembly line!

The easier to use ones, are , mostly, worth the extra cost - but not because of better quality. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/1/24 12:24 a.m.

Hammer store, new in box $100

Didn't check your location, but if I have to tow next week, I might get this myself!

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
10/1/24 7:19 a.m.

Is it me or can that RAV4 go much farther back? The looks like at least 25% tongue weight, so dropping it back to 15% would take off a lot of tongue weight while still be very stable. 

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/1/24 2:47 p.m.

Holy smokes, the J100 is only a  112" wheelbase! Same as my Sklasse.

I'm not sure where the jury on this board lands, but you could be a good candidate for something like a trailer towd.

Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
10/2/24 12:07 a.m.

In reply to cyow5 :

It definitely can.  I can try that with next load.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wP5HL1A3EL10T2S5T5O5wgrlMLPRkc2KPbQSrE5taQBDwmUKkR0xAdQgYplju0yR