AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/14/23 10:16 a.m.

Per current challenge rules, Auction fees are included in purchase price. I can see arguments for (auction cars sometimes sell for less than street value) and against (auction fees add no performance). Any chance that rule is going to be removed? I found the perfect "$2000 all-in" candidate for $1100, but auction fees would tack on another $400-ish. 

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
10/14/23 1:52 p.m.

I think it's fair to include the fees in the purchase price. If you show up to the auction with only the $1,100, they're not going to give you the car unless you also give them the $400 in fees. So it's not an $1,100 car, it's a $1,500 car. 

Also, since everyone else bidding on it is also calculating the fees into the overall purchase price, if the fees were removed for everyone, the winning bid would be $1,500, not $1,100.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/14/23 2:03 p.m.

In reply to 90BuickCentury :

Totally correct.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/10/23 6:43 a.m.

I have no plans to change that rule. But negotiation is totally fair game, so feel free to negotiate your way out of those fees or find a coupon or something. But I'm pretty sure that's impossible. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
12/7/23 9:47 a.m.

Also depends largely on which auction. Some will allow you to bring and OBD scanner, some won't. Most won't allow a test drive until after you own the car. The arbitration process at most large sales consists of the arb manager telling you to pound sand. Couple that with the fact that auction values are still near-peak (though that may not matter for a $1000 car).

I'd look private party, all day long

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/26/23 4:37 p.m.

I thought the rule stated also that it had to be a venue available to anyone.  Depending on the site, some are Dealers only.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
12/26/23 7:38 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Naw cause there's a lot of online straw buyers that will let you work around the dealer only states.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4tlWZITKOkYgbj3V7nTfikLDtCcHUO0cPJraQAV0sSg1GtGwWLhLChRJJObvOm1I