1 2
mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
2/15/14 6:59 a.m.

I find myself in need of some 14 inch wheels for 83 RX7. Anyone who has one knows that they are 4x110 and wheels are scarce on the ground. I don't suppose any of you enterprising GRMers have a set laying around? Rotary guys seem to hoard parts like they're preparing for the apacolypse, so I thought perhaps someone had a set buried in their shed.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
2/15/14 9:37 a.m.

Edited because reasons

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
2/15/14 4:41 p.m.

I've got some stock 13's and mesh 15's I could probably part with but already sold my 14" 4x110.

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
2/15/14 5:12 p.m.

Might have some. Need to check my storage building which I can do tomorrow

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr Dork
2/15/14 6:50 p.m.

Greg, I am interested in the 15s.

logdog
logdog Dork
2/15/14 7:05 p.m.

14s are hard to come by. I bought the ones from Greg. They now live with the GRMer that bought my RX7. That was the only set I found while I was looking.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
2/15/14 7:20 p.m.

There's some at my Pic a Part, iirc.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/15/14 8:19 p.m.

Beware of the 14s on a GSL-SE they are 114.3x4 not 110x4.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
2/15/14 8:44 p.m.

I need 14's for the rallycross tires I'm getting. The tires may get to ride on several cars and between them all a 14 inch wheel works best even though it's hard to find for the RX7. I can always have some made, but it's more cost effective to empty someone's shed. Probably.
Thanks to everyone who is checking for me.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
2/18/14 11:46 a.m.

I'm throwing this back up to the top in the hopes that someone can help. I now have a set of 14 inch rally tires in my garage and no wheels for them. If my wife finds out, I may be in trouble.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
2/18/14 12:20 p.m.

I know where there's a set of LE wheels (the ones you want - 1983 LE model) but I doubt that he'd accept a GRM-able price for them.

He also has my entire stock of 15" 4x110 wheels too... had no need for them anymore so they're his now.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
2/18/14 2:57 p.m.

The few sets I've seen since I bought the car were in the "wheels for a restoration" level pricing. At those prices it's time to call our friends at Braid, which is what I might end up doing.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
2/18/14 5:05 p.m.

BRAIDs would be cheaper than a set of LE wheels. I asked my contact if he had any LE wheels he'd be willing to sell and the reply was a curt "Nope." So either he doesn't have any or he might be willing to trade for a 6-speed C4.

Alternatively, one of the guys up at Detroit region was seen running wheel adaptors and common 4x100 wheels. While I would hate to talk someone out of a sale to Paul, this option opens the world up for wheels.

OTOH, Detroit events are very smooth, and I don't know what you guys's events are like. I'm not sure if I'd use them at an Ohio rallycross.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
2/18/14 8:55 p.m.

I'm not doing adapters. Most of our courses are smooth but it's just one more thing to worry about going bad that distracts you from actually driving. Buying BRAIDs isn't a bad thing. They seem like good wheels and he supports rally and rallycross. I was just thinking......maybe.....someone had a set.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
2/19/14 9:50 a.m.

I have two sets of 83 Limited Edition 14" RX-7 wheels. I really don't want to sell either one, but to a GRM'er I could possibly be talked into it. With the caveat that if you ever don't need them anymore I get first shot at getting them back. One set is nice, and the other set needs some refurbishing, but they are straight.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
2/19/14 10:23 a.m.

I would absolutely agree to those terms, however, these are going to be rallycross wheels. On a rallycross car. Doing 8-12 rallycross events a year for the next several years at least. I'm pretty mechanically sympathetic when I drive and have never bent a wheel, not do I expect to, but rallycross isn't terribly nice to wheels no matter how you cut it. If you want to send them off to live an interesting life full of adventure and stories that they can bring back to you someday, I'm your guy. If you're thinking "with a little bit of polish these would make great wheels for a restoration", you should probably hoard them like a proper rotor head.
I really appreciate the offer and hope it works out.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
2/19/14 10:27 a.m.

I will get you pics later. They are a little on the send them off to live an exciting life side of the coin. May be tomorrow as I am on an island working today, and may get home too late for decent pics.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
2/19/14 12:46 p.m.

I rallycrossed for years on super-rare Weds wheels without scratching them up.

I did dent one (stupid German peanut butter aluminum)... on the street... because bump + 195/50 tires = carnage. So I got some Koseis for street duty and rallycrossed on the rare wheels.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
2/19/14 1:35 p.m.

I rallycross on Panasports right now. Real ones.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
2/19/14 1:52 p.m.

I currently have 15" WEDS Auto Bahn's on my RX-7, and also those two sets of LE wheels. Actually it's too bad you don't want 13" wheels as I have a decent set of fairly rare 13" Almex wheels that came on some Southern market Spark yellow 79 RX-7's. I paid too much for them, but I like the way they look on the spark yellow cars(my 79 is Spark yellow). I have yet to mount them on the car however. I really should stop hording so many RX-7 parts. I onlt have the WEDS because I liked the way they looked on a car I found on CL many years ago. Seller wouldn't seperate them so I bought the whole car, and then sold it off after stealing the wheels.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
2/19/14 7:12 p.m.

Let it be known, Mazdax605 is a righteous dude. That is all.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
2/19/14 10:31 p.m.

I just sold a set a few weeks back. They had been taking up precious garage space for a few years, and a friend had just painted his wife's generic hatch. So I took them over to see if they'd fit, which they did, and if she'd like them, which she did.

Never in a million years did I think I would actually find someone looking for them.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
2/20/14 7:01 a.m.

If your friend ever thinks they want to get rid of them, please let me know. I'll buy them another set of 4x110 wheels to use. Seriously.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
2/20/14 12:27 p.m.

This is how it starts. Soon you will have all sorts of obscure parts that you will never get rid of because it was so hard to find.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
2/20/14 12:32 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

I have bike parts like that. Anyone need a set of vintage, NOS Shimano DX thumb shifters?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
az57x98iSOVwljiCvAHVx0L4sy45SfeDZraIUlZCkxawqKpyz4pFsaP22Kfptv19