1 2
carzan
carzan Dork
6/8/14 9:17 a.m.

I used to have one of those in my old office. I don't think I took it with me when I changed jobs else I'd give it to you. Never thought of using it for a shifter. Now, it seems only natural.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/8/14 10:40 a.m.

I doubt those things burn.

So you might want to check with a funeral home or crematorium.

Most people want there loved one's remains to fit in an urn. They generally don't want the funeral director to also hand them a couple of spare parts.

And I really doubt there is much market for the used components. Not sure what they do with them, but they have to get rid of them somehow.

Unless, of course, you don't really want to spend your driving time feeling up the hip of some dead guy.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
6/8/14 10:47 a.m.

If you would happen to score one from a deceased I'd take it to a shaman or some holy guy to have it cleansed from any bad ju-ju. Not to be a bummer, but that's just how I hafta roll anymore.

axeman_g
axeman_g New Reader
6/10/14 12:25 p.m.

Ugh... I am laughing my ass off at this. I am getting my hip replaced in a week. I will send you the old parts!!!! They will not look as good... and might be a little f'ed up and rough.

Bumboclaat
Bumboclaat HalfDork
6/10/14 3:07 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I doubt those things burn.

Neither do bones for that matter. They have to crush/grind them after cremation.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/10/14 3:12 p.m.
axeman_g wrote: Ugh... I am laughing my ass off at this. I am getting my hip replaced in a week. I will send you the old parts!!!! They will not look as good... and might be a little f'ed up and rough.

You have a hell of an opportunity presented to you! Ask for the old parts back, finish them up all nice, polish, lay a coat of hard clear on there, and roll hard!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
6/10/14 3:36 p.m.

Put yer old femur end on the top of a walking stick. Use it during rehabilitation.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/10/14 3:52 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: Put yer old femur end on the top of a walking stick. Use it during rehabilitation.

There's so many things I'd do with my old hip.... Or my knees... Or my ankles... All of which probably need help.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/10/14 3:54 p.m.
Bumboclaat wrote:
SVreX wrote: I doubt those things burn.
Neither do bones for that matter. They have to crush/grind them after cremation.

OK, that piqued my curiosity. This is a bit morbid, but fascinating:

Wiki on cremation

Looks like the bones burn, but do not break down fully. Then they are crushed, ground.

The heat is so great, the flesh is essentially vaporized. What we call "ashes" are actually the bone remains after sifting and grinding.

Cavities with moisture, or devices such as pacemakers can cause an explosion.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/10/14 3:56 p.m.

Best WTB thread, ever.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/10/14 3:58 p.m.

I just posted this q on fb. I will post the feed if it amuses.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
6/11/14 7:07 p.m.

All this time I've been harvesting fillings I never thought to check for joints. With less and less gold turning up these days this is some timely information.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/12/14 10:25 a.m.

If you're considering bone and aren't really concerned with it being human, I'd suggest hitting up a butcher shop.

There actually is a good market for used implants, so they aren't generally languishing in buckets and dumpsters. There are also more and more regulations regarding the disposition of implanted devices. It's makes it harder to get them, especially if they've been removed prior to cremation (wet).

There is a company I know that deals in cadavers and used medical implants. Don't know if they will or can deal with individual purchasers, but you can always give them a call and ask. http://www.anatomygifts.org/

revhard
revhard New Reader
6/13/14 1:54 p.m.

I actually worked for a medical implant mfg, im not sure if i have any of the hip stems kicking around but i have 3 of the ball joints sitting on my desk right now. let me see what i can find.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
6/14/14 4:03 p.m.

I will soon be taking possession of my FILs artificial knees, they're in with his ashes... He never had a hip replaced though.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/14/14 8:29 p.m.
revhard wrote: I actually worked for a medical implant mfg, im not sure if i have any of the hip stems kicking around but i have 3 of the ball joints sitting on my desk right now. let me see what i can find.

Zomg please do.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/14/14 10:48 p.m.
revhard wrote: I actually worked for a medical implant mfg, im not sure if i have any of the hip stems kicking around but i have 3 of the ball joints sitting on my desk right now. let me see what i can find.

Oh man I would be forever indebted.

84FSP
84FSP New Reader
6/14/14 11:07 p.m.

Loving this as my company produces the polymer that makes up the balance of the joint and wear surface... Wonder how it polishes out... Thinking of ways this might tighten up the shift linkage on my rabbit if you could incorporate the whole setup....

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/15/14 5:47 p.m.

Ok people, we can get horse blood shipped across the country in 48 hours but a man can't get a couple of replacement hips? What is this, North Korea? I need a new shifter!

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
6/15/14 5:56 p.m.

So what are you going to do to make it a greaseable joint is the important question.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/15/14 6:53 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: So what are you going to do to make it a greaseable joint is the important question.

Cortizone injections, obviously.

84FSP
84FSP New Reader
6/15/14 7:44 p.m.

Hah

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6o2aO3xW9bi1ivWvlfr3gxym2KwKLg9pRWzK4eCJxyhdtttKZMySFuQZ48GjrGpS