MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
7/1/16 6:10 a.m.

Craigslist Ad

Thinking about going to take a look at this. But figured I'd share it with the hive.

Selling my 1990 Volvo 240. Runs like a champ. 270,xxx miles or so. Would be perfect for a turbo project, v8 swap, first car, or simply a dead reliable daily driver Selling only because it just sits now after we gotten new cars. Would drive this thing to Chicago in a heartbeat, have many times already Buy this and watch the price of 240s continue to appreciate in value! Car is titled in Illinois, but that isn't a problem Email, text, or call. Text or email preferred. Leave a voicemail if I don't answer!

Good: New main fuel pump Plugs, wires, cap, rotor replaced last summer Ignition coil replaced within a year or two Runs over all decent No rust besides a light scratch Interior is over very nice Manual 5 speed New tires last February, but they aren't the best brand Comes with whatever parts I have for it Rear wheel drive, the best kind of drive

Bad Needs an exhaust unless you like it loud brakes are spongy, needs to be bled Front driver fender is smashed in the front and needs a turn signal housing and bulb Paint is poor, a few dents in the side

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
7/1/16 8:06 a.m.

Whew that looks beat. Probably make a great Rallycross or winter beater candidate of you can get him down a bit on price.

Fix the exhaust and brakes, new fender (or not), vinyl wrap, and done.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
7/1/16 8:14 a.m.

i consider the ladies room sticker on the bumper to be in the good column, seller is doing himself a disservice by not pointing that out.

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
7/1/16 8:24 a.m.
bastomatic wrote: Whew that looks beat. Probably make a great Rallycross or winter beater candidate of you can get him down a bit on price. Fix the exhaust and brakes, new fender (or not), vinyl wrap, and done.

Exactly what I'd be looking at it for. Any fear with the mileage?

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
7/1/16 9:26 a.m.

No. Michigan/ Midwetern provenance is probably its worst selling point.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
7/1/16 9:52 a.m.

So classic Craigslist silliness going on in that ad. Like the brakes being soft just needing a bleed of the system and not actual troubleshooting, parts, and labor to fix that problem properly. Or how that model of car are appreciating and this should be seen as an investment and not like a cheap car that needs repairs.

That said, I can understand the interest in the thing, and would probably be happy to pay $750 for it. Especially if it was a wagon.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
7/1/16 10:05 a.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/201x-classifieds/1984-volva-wagon-600-se-nc/119604/page1/

This one is cheaper, is a wagon and looks 10x better than that one. It is an auto though, but other than that I don't see any reason to even think about the one in this thread.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
7/1/16 7:55 p.m.

Man, I can find good-condition 240s on CL for around $1k all day in this area....mostly autos, but still.

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
7/2/16 10:49 a.m.

In reply to irish44j:

In fact we have a local member and rallycrosser who collects them haha.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
7/2/16 9:54 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Thats how it is everywhere...ive never spent over $500 for running volvo. Rust free mind you.

The 5speed makes it slightly more desierable but volvo manuals are like truck tran, really crappy ratios

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z277JAMUU5SXQ1AbQaJO6SYWSSlk5ehQgZCKbIy6sYTfYgw3unBgDfq6vDJ7LR8c