15 16 17
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
7/3/22 9:51 a.m.

It runs!

I'll see if I can get a video up. The engine starts up and idles, and I've set the timing and valve lash. Will see if I can get it on the street for a shakedown run, and check if it's leaking oil (hard to tell with it parked since I spilled a lot checking valve lash and filling the transmission).

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/3/22 10:07 a.m.

Awesome!!!!

MadScientistMatt
7/9/22 7:46 p.m.

Finally, first drive on the rebuilt engine!

It needs a lot of work on the cold start and warmup portions of the tune (and a bit of work elsewhere too). There are a few systems not working such as the wipers and speedometer. The sway bar mounts scraped on a bump - you can hear it in the video. I need to connect the gauges fully. And there seems to be a tiny oil leak - a few drips from the middle of the engine, somehow, if I'm not mistaken.

But the engine runs, the transmission shifts as it should, there are no ominous noises, it doesn't overheat, and it doesn't leave a trail of fluids behind it. So I can now just move on to dealing with a bunch of little issues on a running car, instead of dealing wiht a non running car. I'm excited to be making progress.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
7/9/22 9:40 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Sweet! Congrats on getting it running

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
7/9/22 9:51 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Congrats that's a huge milestone! And I literally lol'ed when I heard that THUNK of the sway bar. Drive it down to ATL sometime.

flat4_5spd
flat4_5spd Reader
7/9/22 9:55 p.m.

With your current tune, it could 100% pass as an authentic carbureted  car! :-) Great progress! I want to hear that thing spool up next...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/9/22 10:25 p.m.

In reply to flat4_5spd :

Bah!  One of the things I like about my lone remaining carbureted car is that it generally runs with just a bump of the starter.  EFI is awesome for a lot of things but you can't beat a distributor and a fog of fuel mixture in the intake manifold for rapid starts.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/9/22 10:55 p.m.

The billets and exhaust note are fantabulous 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/11/22 12:24 a.m.

Sweet!

MadScientistMatt
7/16/22 6:22 p.m.

Let's see if a blob of RTV can stop the oil leak. The belt rubbing on the hose is a bit of a bigger problem...

MadScientistMatt
8/6/22 11:05 a.m.

There was another puddle of oil under the car from last week's idle tuning session. I suspect it's leaking from the oil pressure relief valve. So I pulled the cap off the valve, cleaned it, slathered it with RTV, and installed it with a fresh gasket. We'll see if it's fixed when the RTV cures.

I also took a look at why the windshield wipers weren't working. Turns out I had previously put the dash in hastily and skipped connecting the wiper and light switches. So that was a pretty easy fix... for underdash wiring, at least, which is always a bit of a pain.

Sorry, neither one is easy to photograph, so no pictures this time, but there is some real progress going on. Next on the to-do list is more tuning work and cleaning up the interior. Also need to get the replacement speedometer swapped in and fix the fuel gauge.

15 16 17
Our Preferred Partners
A0yXiOveziMRor2DMK9JZddPQrTVP7hoP2IkfgpndYxZdDRvhxrCAWzowGLDJiUr