4 5 6
irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/21/24 11:21 p.m.
paperpaper said:

It is possible with this and some other items the car could get down into the 24xxLBS range. 

lol. that's the weight my car STARTED at :)

paperpaper
paperpaper Reader
5/21/24 11:39 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
paperpaper said:

It is possible with this and some other items the car could get down into the 24xxLBS range. 

Yeah whats it weigh now lol

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/22/24 11:05 p.m.
paperpaper said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
paperpaper said:

Yeah whats it weigh now lol

2850ish with full fuel, spares, tools, etc. 

But I've never made any real attempt at weight reduction, because don't care that much lol. Budget doesn't support doing an aluminum block engine, and no interest in gutting everything.  Hell, I have a small aluminum skidplate sitting here for rally-x and I don't even bother putting that one on, I just run with my heavy steel one :) I don't mind being a tank, my days of thinking I'll be competitive are long over., now it's just for fun. 

paperpaper
paperpaper Reader
6/4/24 11:27 a.m.

Next up:

Differential. the limited slip factor really. 

I have run through a few rebuilds on the LSD unit in my 4.10 BMW diff(ZF lsd unit from factory) using Whats know as Racing diffs online rebuild kits. From the lovely former eastern block. Some people seem to have good luck with them. Others do not. and ive come to think that i am the latter. The latest iteration I put in because i am having a issue where the initial breakaway of the diff is great. 100+ftlbs. but yet, when it comes to actual acceleration and lets say a simple doughnut/hairpin. All i get is open diff tendencies. One wheel peel and no forward motion. It was like this before last year. and now during last year with this kit. Immediately noticeable on Pavement. But i would assume that I am loosing traction i desire on gravel constantly. 

Simply Breakway lock up is great but it seems to do nothing after breakaway. 

Here are some of the plates:

Smooth as glass and the friction material they design and manufacture is gone. 

Interesting wear marks of only the outside and inside ring? also extremely smooth

Only and Outside ring wear mark. Some of the material is still present inside. 

I am curious if these are just not very straight in machining. or that the friction material is just not very good. Possibly just wears out almost immediately?

Stock ZF for reference:

Overall its been confusing trying to get it to work as intended. My current plan is to get as much internal shims, spring washers, and plates as i can as OEM stock supplier. I am running a 3 plate uneven setup as alot of people do. Possibly getting the Pressure ring surfaced although it looks very smooth. 

If it continues to not be enough with new OEM plates and the more preload then there is the option of more aggressive ramps. Although there is not really a good budget option for this. Only one coming from the afro mentioned company that I am currently shaky with. 

This is the same unit that is in alot of old porsche's so I will be researching what they do also for more reference. Any insight on what i could be missing here would be excellent. 

paperpaper
paperpaper Reader
7/23/24 2:41 p.m.

Lets keep this going:

We have been filling time as we gathered parts for the new wiring by fixing the surprisingly rusty tow rig. 

A decent job. Hopefully this rig will last a few more years before needing something else. its a great adventure camper also when need be. 

Spent some time cleaning up the rear shocks. Some tire rubbing has long since destroyed the helper spring isolators. And it seems we have slightly mushroomed the rear mounts. bearings are still good so we may just have to keep these in until they are really bad. 

Next up is actually building the new harness! Very excited to see how it comes out!

paperpaper
paperpaper Reader
7/23/24 2:46 p.m.

I was also able to take a side adventure to attend one rally this year, STPR in PA. Co-driving for friend and rival Dylan Gondyke in his impreza RS. 

Always fun to ride right seat. especially in a similarly fast but very different car. We won the rally and our class! No issues besides ripping the wires on my comms and having to yell 2 stages. Hand signals and yelling worked well. Tons of rain the second day but with a decent lead from the first day we cusised home safe in first. STPR is always a great time. 

Lots of other notables and GRM regulars taking home trophies also. 

4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AyZzWivIIY8QY8YIlkZQlo0DzVwRs5NSsZPHk5mxuVoGLGpkm238WhtUGpshl58W