1 2
thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
3/9/16 6:53 p.m.

To make a long story short... someones kids car, clutch throwout bearing seized and they proceeded to park it under a tree for somewhere between three and ten months (the number changed continuously). Eventually towed it to a shop for an estimate and decided they didn't want to fix it. Matched the offer of a wholesaler and bought it on impulse for Challenge money.

2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium sedan, 5MT, 78,000 miles. Can't go wrong... right?

It had a SERIOUS coating of tree gunk, so step one was an aggressive wash... but first, a battery! Totally dead, and the jump pack was dead too. Go figure. Might as well get it out of the way.

Post wash... there is a car under there.

While I waited for parts I turned my attention to the interior. Oh, the interior.

Doesn't look SO bad, other than the huge hole in the carpet under that floor mat. But it does have a bit of a funky smell... and seems kinda damp. And... oh, is that mold?

Berk. Que the complete interior removal.

The carpet, which I was hoping I could save, went straight into the dumpster. Every inch of the floor got soak down in Moldex and scrubbed with a combination of that, all purpose cleaner, and enzyme cleaner in the nooks and crannies. The paint didn't seem to appreciate the chemical cocktail so I ended up shooting a coat of trusty Rustoleum on there, too.

I think you can tell which side is done?

Spare tire well before:

Spare tire well after:

With a used carpet ordered from eBay and the car cleaned and airing out I turned my attention to the pile of pieces. Cleaned all the plastics individually with the same stuff as the floor, soaked the seats in a vinegar/water mixture and shampoo'd them then let it all dry.

While waiting for the carpet to come from California I paid a coworker in local craft brews to replace the clutch. The engine air filter was BLACK, and I think you can imagine the state of the cabin air filter so it got both of those as well.

Guess there was a problem...

Had some leftover sound deadening from my WRX, so that went in.

And then, finally, it was time for the maiden voyage!

(Carpet is out of an 08 STi, so it came with the fancy pants dead pedal)

First drive revealed a couple small issues. The first was a SCREAMING loud wheel bearing... but not loose. The second was a CEL for the upstream O2 sensor - replaced that.

And this is today. I've made about four laps of the car with touch up paint, gave the headlights a quick buff. It's starting to come around.

Next up is 4 wheel brakes and that wheel bearing, waiting on a RockAuto box.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/9/16 7:06 p.m.

I can't tell if it's more amazing that they let a 78k mile car go that far down the path of destruction, or that you brought it back so well.
Have your heard of our lord and saviour rallycross?

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
3/10/16 5:14 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I can't tell if it's more amazing that they let a 78k mile car go that far down the path of destruction, or that you brought it back so well. Have your heard of our lord and saviour rallycross?

Definitely the former discarding a 78k Subaru over a clutch amazes me. They were still even making payments on it

My WRX is probably better suited to rallycross, but I'm not going to rule anything out

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/10/16 5:31 a.m.

Wow. Sounds like a perfect "Wheeler Dealer" flip-for-profit car. 2009??? I have to believe you can double your money (at least) over there in the PNW. Hell... that's gotta be a $6 to 8K car here in NH.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
3/10/16 7:34 a.m.

Wow. Now that's just a crazy amount of neglect. I mean less than 100k and it looks like it's gone 200k plus at the beginning. I realize most people aren't car people, but how do you get so indifferent about something you own and paid/are paying for to be content to let it rot away decades before it's time?

Good on you for bringing this one back from the dead and yeah that would be a good $6-8k here also as Ian pointed out if you want to flip it and make some more cash. As a warning though flipping is addictive.

I think some nice WRX alloys would really do wonders to get rid of the rental fleet look.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
3/10/16 7:42 a.m.

I cannot believe how gross that thing was inside, especially under the carpet! I say grab some Forester suspension and better tires and make a winter destroyer that doubles as a trail runner.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/10/16 8:26 a.m.

I love Waterbury Vermont.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
3/10/16 9:05 a.m.

Was the car leaking into the interior or something? That's an awful lot of mold and surface rust on the floor. I would check your door seals and windshield seal. I've had Gummi Pflege bring the seals back somewhat before.

http://www.amazon.com/einszett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

Plus you can have fun saying "gummi pflege stift" while using it.

java230
java230 HalfDork
3/10/16 9:46 a.m.

Even as nasty as it was, you stole that car!!

petegans
petegans New Reader
3/10/16 10:31 a.m.

That's a hell of a deal and props for the work you put into it. There are infinite fun things you could use it for or make a nice piece of scratch.

I'm amazed the previous owner who had payments on it let it rot just because of the clutch.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
3/10/16 11:33 a.m.

Wow, nice find and great work! I would drive it as is or do the subtle lift and A/T's.

XLR99
XLR99 HalfDork
3/10/16 12:02 p.m.

Wow, that's ridiculous. Nice work on getting it de-molded and cleaned up!

slowride
slowride HalfDork
3/10/16 1:28 p.m.

The neglect is amazing.

java230
java230 HalfDork
3/10/16 2:01 p.m.

Where does one find this type of deal anyway??

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
3/10/16 4:45 p.m.

^Right place, right time.

Thanks all. I couldn't believe the condition versus the age. The interior still looks like it has 200k on it from scratches and wear. The things people do to cars continue to amaze me.

I can't find any leaks and it's staying dry now, so I'm guessing they left it open in the rain or something before closing up and parking it for months

Definitely high potential to flip it. Haven't bothered to do the exact math, but I'm into it in the ball park of $2500 at this point. Don't think I'd have any issue doubling that if I decide to go that route. But it also would make a lot of sense to keep it and run it... not sure which way to go yet. I DO kinda like it more than I expected to...

Woke up early this morning, so I went to work and gave the paint a little TLC - just a quick claybar, polish, and sealant. Could definitely have done more, but it sure is nice to have some gloss back in the finish and bring out the pearl in it

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing that this car cost less than my 2002 with (at the time) 275k mile WRX, a year and half ago

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
3/10/16 4:50 p.m.

Wow, that looks great. That poor car

I wouldn't rallycross an '09 unless you like replacing bumper covers twice an event.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
3/11/16 6:58 a.m.

the impreza bumper isn't nearly as bad as the 09+ WRX or the STI bumper, but you're probably right...

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/11/16 7:36 a.m.

I love these "Detail and flip" threads because the transformation from a bit of elbow grease is always amazing. Which is weird, because personally, I would get a root canal before I ever washed a car. I cant even bring myself to drive one through a car wash (they spook me) I am not a messy person, but the wife's car must have at least $20 of change rolling around the interior at any given time.

Guess Nature does like symmetry: She made people like me to supply people like you.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
3/11/16 8:01 a.m.

i'D FLIP it and take half the money to buy something to destroy. if you are 2500 into it, others are reporting these cars going for 8 or 9k... thats 7k to buy something else to rallycross and you'll be into the sport for a net zero out of pocket...

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
3/11/16 8:36 p.m.

My rallycross desires should be covered by my lifted 2002 WRX, so this one shouldn't have to worry about that. Probably.

Going to run it at least for a while and see how I feel about it.

On the subject of flipping... my Subarus are beginning to breed. Picked up the latest addition to my rehabilitation center for wayward Subarus today for $200. This will get its own thread once I assess and get a better idea of what I'm working with.

java230
java230 HalfDork
3/11/16 8:47 p.m.

$200?! Jesus man. Share with the GRM peeps.....

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
3/12/16 6:10 a.m.

The green one is the result of intervening when a decision was made to send it to the crusher.

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
3/12/16 11:49 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: I love these "Detail and flip" threads because the transformation from a bit of elbow grease is always amazing. Which is weird, because personally, I would get a root canal before I ever washed a car. I cant even bring myself to drive one through a car wash (they spook me) I am not a messy person, but the wife's car must have at least $20 of change rolling around the interior at any given time. Guess Nature does like symmetry: She made people like me to supply people like you.

Recently my girlfriend and I got into her Forester and I couldn't even drive it until I wiped the dust off the dash and hauled some of the random crap out of it.

Detailing cars for a living has an effect on you eventually

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
3/12/16 11:22 p.m.

Green is the best colour for the bugeye wagons. I have a set of green bugeye fenders and bumper sitting in the basement because I once harboured an illusion that I could DIY paint them to platinum silver and patch the hole in the bumper on my own.

Can't wait for the thread! Good luck, little car!

Jayisacarguy
Jayisacarguy New Reader
3/14/16 8:12 p.m.

Wow. I have the same car (less your more desirable standard transmission) in silver. Same year, bought mine several years ago with 75k for the aforementioned $8k.

You got a much better deal. And yours looks a bunch nicer too, got me thinking perhaps I should wash it.

Funny that my interior came with a funky odor and white staining all over the black carpeting like yours. Unlike yours however I have not done a damn thing about it.

Maybe I should.....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jkYQ6ZAjzkx6XJLNX6KYs8LTJEQGetOpbPlHQmCckD8dVBeTla9327BIOL3jKZbZ