1 2 3
dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/24/23 9:25 p.m.

I picked up a Milwaukee 2767-20 1/2" impact a few years ago for $199 including a 5.0ah battery. It's paid for itself several times over in doing several Honda crank bolts so I could replace timing belts on our two Odysseys and our Pilot. It's made several other jobs easier, as well. 

I'd say buy the cordless impact in your preferred system and it'll get far more use than you expect. I even used the big impact enough to justify buying Milwaukee's mid-torque impact for smaller jobs, and I use it all the time. Tire rotations have never been so quick and easy!

RichardNZ
RichardNZ HalfDork
8/25/23 5:45 a.m.

Good to see this thread pop back up again as I (eventually) got an Escape to replace my Focus 4. The one I got is the 180hp diesel rather than the petrol I was looking at last year. 110,000 kms and seems to drive OK. It's a whale, I'm think of naming it Moby Dick 'cos it's appliance white, and doesn't handle anywhere near as well as the Focus but I've just returned from a moderate trip and it put away the miles quite nicely. Economy is running in the 33 to 40 mpg (l/100km converted to US mpg) which is acceptable for something with the frontal area of a small house smiley. My two diesel Focii were both up in the mid to high 40's.

Interesting pic of the trailing arms, something for me to keep an eye on ... It was a fleet car and has been serviced by Ford dealers all it's life - once per year or 12,000 miles - and a search of its history shows no untoward issues other than just after I bought it - it /they have a two speed oil pump and whatever controls the change failed so it kept dropping into limp mode when the turbo spooled up, NZD500 fix and all good again.

cheers

R

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/25/23 9:43 a.m.

In reply to RichardNZ :

We bought with about 40k kms and it's currently at about 85k kms. Keep an eye on the trailing arm bushings. My local dealer had seven on the shelf, so the degradation is definitely a known issue.

otherwise, we are quite happy with this car, and I'd probably buy another. For me or the wife, I would spend the extra $ to get the 260hp 2.0T vs our current 1.5T with only 168hp, but at the time the delta was $5k and this was for my daughter to drive to college.

8/29/23 2:28 p.m.

Instead of spending $300 at HF, I offered my buddy Steve $100 to R&R the trailing arm for me. MonZora battery was flat, so once again we worked in the driveway.

look at this POS. 57k miles. In service date Dec 2018, so 5 Michigan winters. Bond is completely failed around the dogbone and the shell. As Coach would say, "berkeleyin' embarrassing!"

less than 2 hours later, after some swearing and some storytelling, she's back on the road.

9/20/23 3:44 p.m.

Since 9/7, the Escape has been sitting in the service department of a local dealer and I've been driving a couple of loaners.  There was a NHTSA action for a shifter cable bushing, so I called to set up the appointment and the SA asked me if I had ever added coolant.  Yes, on two occasions over the last 12 - 18 months, for a total of less than a quart.  So the SA told me about a TSB for coolant consumption and said they'd like to check for that if it was OK with me.  I confirmed that they had a loaner for me and said OK.  They require turning it in / swapping it out at 550 miles.  No problem.

First loaner: 2023 (maybe 2024? i didn't check) Edge Titanium with 000007.0 miles on the odo.  Nice car, but feels way more than just one step larger than the Escape.

Second loaner: 2023 (this time i checked!) F-150 XLT 4x4, 4-door cab, short bed.  one of the ecoboosts, IDK which.  10-speed automatic.  Nice truck.  If i needed one, it would probably make the finals.

Still no date on when they'll do the TSB inspection on the Escape.  SA refers to "the heavy repair tech" which makes it sound like they only have one.  Seems odd, but whatever.  AK1 is enjoying her time with the E92.

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
9/20/23 8:20 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

It seems like you have a decent dealer to work with, glad they seem to be treating you right.

This is one of the reasons my wife's '13 Fusion 1.6 EB went on the trade block at 98K back in February.  Multiple recalls for cooling system issues over the years and long out of any warranty. 

She got a low coolant alarm message last Fall, no leaks anywhere I could see or smell for that matter.  It was below the cold add coolant line in the reservoir so I added maybe a quart of the orange premix and marked the reservoir to have a cold reference point.  It never happened again but the rear shocks were showing signs of being blown out again for the third time and my wife was noticing some funky shifting so decisions were made.  

I've had '14 and '16 Escapes with the 1.6 for company vehicles, neither ever had issues with the cooling system.  The '16 had intermittent transmission issues and was sent down the line at little over 100K before anything expensive happened.   Good luck, hopefully they can find what the issue is and take care of it under warranty.

10/6/23 5:27 p.m.

Third loaner was an Edge SEL with 8 miles on the odo. Picked it up Mon 10/2. At that time they still had not done the coolant pressure test to determine whether or not they'd replace the Escape's short block assembly according to this TSB.

Today (Fri 10/6) I got a text that my car was ready to be picked up. Sweet, I thought, it passed. I was wrong. The paperwork shows it failed the test, and they replaced the short block. Total cost to me $0.00.

So I bailed early from work, returned the loaner, and picked up the Escape. AK1 is glad to have her car back, I'm glad to have my car back. I guess everybody's a winner.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ HalfDork
10/6/23 7:27 p.m.

Pleased you were able to report a happy ending ... sounds as if your dealer did all the things one would expect. 

I was able to have a good look under mine while it was on the hoist at the tyre shop yesterday and all my joints and bushes seem to be in good shape so it's keep on driving for now.

I want to have a play with Forscan and see if I can change a few settings - eg how long the lights stay on if you leave a door open so I'll report anything interesting that pops up.

in mildly related news my Focus 4, which uses the later version of my engine, has an oil leak from the front somewhere which will supposedly need two days work to fix. The repair will be at Henry's expense since  the warranty still has 8 months to run.

11/5/23 2:58 p.m.

AK1 and I did a short-interval oil and filter change on the new short block, just a hair over 1000 miles.

Also threw on the winter tires, as AK1 is visiting friends up north next week, and you never know when the snow's gonna fly up there.

I hope there's nothing to report between now and the 65k service.

3/10/24 6:10 p.m.

Where did the 65k oil change happen?

yep, MonZora starting woes seem to be behind us, so I fired her up and moved her out. It's cold and windy here, and I had no interest in working outside.

(48°F is inside the garage)

Next oil change will also get 4 quart ATF spill n fill, and a cabin air filter.

4/20/24 8:28 p.m.

Today was the day for ATF spill and fill, plus rear pads and rotors, seasonal tire swap, and engine air filter. The trans fill has a vent held by a spring clamp, had to pull the air filter box to access it:

old fluid was black but didn't smell burnt.

Almost exactly 4 quarts came out. Within a couple oz anyway. Fresh Mercon LV went in:

Rear pads were just starting to touch the wear indicator on left side. Right side had been squeaking for a few weeks.

Old and crappy:

New Hotness:

Also replaced engine air filter, was a little overdue (35k vs recommended 30k), but not terrible:

By this time I was hungry and tired, so will do the cabin air filter another day. Two of the non-winter tires are OE to the car, late 2017 date code iirc, so they're getting replaced this week.

68k and counting.

4/26/24 6:00 p.m.

Two tires were OE, dates 2018, and almost down to the wear bars, so I ordered replacements from tire rack.com and installed the other day after work.

then, with nothing better to do, AW and I went to the local Audi dealer and test-drove an RS Q8. Holy E36 M3, what a magnificent beast! When school is out, we will road-trip to the nearest dealer with an RS6 Avant and drive that as well. I favor the Avant, and I think AW will too.

6/2/24 6:19 p.m.

No drama here, just another oil and filter change, some notes to self, and a new rear wiper. 71k. Still pretty happy with this one.

9/4/24 4:31 p.m.

76k, still nothing to report. Oil and filter, top off blinker fluid. Will do ATF spill and fill at next oil change (80k-ish).

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/4/24 8:01 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

76k, still nothing to report. Oil and filter, top off blinker fluid. Will do ATF spill and fill at next oil change (80k-ish).

Legendary genius move!

9/4/24 9:08 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I learned that from my buddy James. He wrote torque specs and the tools required, underhood and at all four corners of his race cars. So simple, so smart.

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
9/5/24 8:24 a.m.

As a ecoboost 2.0 owner. Id recommend several things.

1. Spark plugs are a must. Stay on top of them, Ecoboost motors eat them. 

2. USE API SP oil, to help combat LSPI. Dont lug the engine. 

3. I would strongly recommend the usage of premium fuel if possible. 

Nice ride! 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uE2Go8pDnvACLuLKytnfNofvAeW8ECC1IQbTgt8ZKYYVLOmHNil5tR8Ek68w7wUc