759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
8/4/23 6:16 p.m.

Is there a big weight difference between your built 362 and a stock 455?

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
8/5/23 8:32 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Yeah. Around 120lbs between the small block and big blocks

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
8/5/23 8:36 a.m.

In reply to gsettle :

Tremec 3650 from an 01 mustang.

I made a 3/8 thick adapter plate, put a upgraded (1-1/8 26 spline) 05-10 input shaft in it (longer), and surprisingly enough the Ford pilot bearing fits the Diesel crank. The other cranks needed an adapter. Running a Olds flywheel and GM clutch.

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
8/5/23 5:09 p.m.

Further developments today. Got the engine and trans out...I forgot how tight everything was in there with the dry sump lines.

Started checking out the drive mandrel because I have a different power steering drive gear to put on and it looks like things were loose on clamping force...only held by the keys. So the mandrel is ruined and I'll need a replacement.

Power steering gear is shot too but the others look ok. 

I buffed the piston top. It'll be ok.

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
8/7/23 9:33 p.m.

New valves showed up on Saturday so I had all the new parts to do a valve job and resurface. Had to run over to another shop to get the spring seats enlarged for the new PAC springs. Knocked out the rest of it at work tonight.

Spring pressure has been increased to 250lbs on the seat and 560lbs open vs 145/400 before.

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
8/9/23 1:26 p.m.

Change of plans. I should have everything tomorrow so I'm putting this engine back in with the intent of autocrossing Saturday. Might be a late Thursday night but I'll have some time on Friday too.

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
8/9/23 10:24 p.m.

Head gaskets showed up early! Thus is a huge help in getting things done in time.

Also went to reinstall the intake manifold and the missing valve chunk fell out....I swear I looked in the intake for debris when I took it off. Oh well, explains why the engine didn't grenade.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
8/9/23 10:33 p.m.

Amazing and it didn't make it to the crank case....Scoreboard!!!!  

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
8/12/23 9:52 p.m.

Got it running again yesterday morning! So into the trailer it went, and thrashed it autocrossing today.

Runs great! Pretty sure it makes more power than before. The bigger valves and balanced out compression ratio helped. I say compression because the valve seat heights were all over the place. Cheap aftermarket heads.... I was able to match them all this time around. Struggle to hook up compared to normal but a 3rd link adjustment helped a ton.

I was fastest in the morning. Afternoon the competition got really close. I was 2nd fastest then we had an impromptu top 6 shootout to finish the day. I ran about the same as my best but the others found some hail marry speed. Would up 5th of the 6 but it was awesome fun and just jaw dropping seeing those guys put in they're best runs right at the end.

Another test weekend next weekend then off to KOTM

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
8/16/23 8:08 a.m.

Finally getting to building a new splitter.

Still needs a bunch of work but I want to be full aero for UMI's King Of The Mountain next week. 

Parts and spares are inbound and plenty to fix/repair still. I'm sure not everything will get done....

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
8/16/23 9:42 a.m.

I'd say leave it like that - more downforce and less fabrication time!

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
8/18/23 9:32 a.m.

Finished up a new splitter late last night. Thus one is autocross speck vs Gridlife street mod. Narrower but longer.

These Professional Awesome Racing big splitter brackets are awesome. Adds rigidity and since they're taller I get more approach angle when the splitter is removed too!

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/18/23 10:22 a.m.

Do you have a link to those Professional Awesome Racing big splitter brackets?  I have the regular ones now, but I like the looks of those.

fouckhest
fouckhest New Reader
8/18/23 10:24 a.m.

Splitter looks great, is that 1/2" ply?

Good to hear you like the PA splitter brackets, been eyeing those for my build!

fouckhest
fouckhest New Reader
8/18/23 10:30 a.m.
Gimp (Forum Supporter) said:

Do you have a link to those Professional Awesome Racing big splitter brackets?  I have the regular ones now, but I like the looks of those.

https://www.professionalawesome.com/product/professional-awesome-quick-release-splitter-support-system/?attribute_mount-length=Short&attribute_elevator-bolt-length-choose-based-on-splitter-thickness=35mm&variation_id=16456&add-to-cart=16432

gsettle
gsettle New Reader
8/18/23 11:19 a.m.

AG, I like how you get things knocked out!

Curious why you run an Accusump along with the dry sump?

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
8/18/23 9:32 p.m.

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

Not on the website yet but you should be able to email them about a set

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
8/18/23 9:35 p.m.

In reply to fouckhest :

Yeah, went 1/2" plywood thus time. Old one was 3/4. Significantly lighter thus time but it does flex a bit. However the random piece of engineered wood I found is real stiff while still light. Recommend that if you have to stiffen one up.

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
8/18/23 9:40 p.m.

In reply to gsettle :

Only reason is after a session on track I would pull into pit lane, push the clutch in, and I'd get a pressure dip that would trigger the safety cut. While not at risk of damage, it was annoying. With the accusump plumbed in it stabilized the oil pressure everywhere. Peaks and drops are evened out and even just normal operation it's more consistent vs varying with every little change in rpm. 

Think of it like a fuel pressure damper...just for the oil system 

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
8/19/23 6:43 p.m.

Full aero is BACK!

Testing went well today. Fresh set of tires, aero, and a new pulley for the power steering to get assist at lower rpm. It's awesome! Went .4 sec faster than last weekend on the same course layout right out of the gate. Then started making changes. More rear wing and I knocked out a run .9 faster than last weekend. 

Then I moved the watts link up two holes to try to shift some grip to the front. Turn in and mid corner improved and the whole car handling mellowed out and got way more consistent...but slower. Add more rear steer and time came back to me. More steer again, shock adjustment and it was lunch break. Afternoon I barely touched the car and all 9 run were coved by .4 and about .5 slow of the morning best. Some of that has to be the fact it got hot in the afternoon.

Overall, I feel way better about heading to UMI's King Of The Mountain in 4 days. Compared to last week the car is faster and way more consistent/easier to drive which I think is the right setup for KOTM vs a few tenths faster but had both oversteer and understeer at different points on the course.

Oh...we also did a fun little challenge. One run for each driver in the slowest vehicle. Early 00's Chevy 1500 reg/short. I was fastest by .001 over the owner and several tenths to seconds ahead of everyone else. 

Now I just need to do a bunch of trailer repairs before leaving on Wednesday morning...

Awesome day!

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
9/1/23 6:59 p.m.
Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
9/9/23 7:13 p.m.

Best drag pass yet for this road race car!

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
9/12/23 10:17 p.m.

Last Weekend was Karmagedon 2.0 (Formerly MAP Proving Grounds...same event though). 

I once again signed up for Friday Autocross and TTS for the weekend. Autocross went well on Friday then I changed the setup back to what it was prior to KOTM. I wanted a second go at that setup and get more data. Before getting back to autocross though TTS kicked off with Drag races. Change the shock settings, air up the front, air down the rear, remove all the aero. As seen in the above post...things worked out well.

Then set the shocks, tire pressure, and aero back to Autocross Saturday afternoon. Shagged some cones, watched some runs and waited for the TTS group's turn. Again things went well. Comparing my finishing positions of each night there was only a single position different overall. So the speed of the car isn't affected nearly as much the feel of the handling....Interesting.....

Sunday I ran 2 sessions for practice out on the road course. Was able to knock out a new PB the 2nd lap and followed that up the second session with more new PB's (3 laps within a few tenths). Standing Start was the last event in TTS and started in the afternoon. I took six runs all of which were faster than back in June. My best run was a full 2 seconds faster.

Scores for TTS were 9th in drag, 9th in Autocross, 8th in Standing Start and final score of 8th at the end.

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
9/20/23 1:22 p.m.

New and exciting discoveries this week....

nocones
nocones PowerDork
9/20/23 1:31 p.m.

Ugh that's unfortunate.   I suppose tho luckily it didn't come apart more violently.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NikYelIG3Oc2JnSNfbNpx6NQIndAoeW8643thayc0Q0wiXEtlltAjjVsAu1T38OT