1 2
docwyte
docwyte UberDork
6/17/20 2:26 p.m.

I'm not a fan of the Hawk HP+.  For this car and "dual use"  (knowing there's no such thing as a dual use pad) I'd go with a Ferodo DS2500.

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
6/17/20 3:17 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

It's been a bit of a struggle to find good setups for this car. The majority of owners are kids that are lowering, tuning, and removing mufflers while blogging on YouTube. There is one or two guys I've found that actually track it on a regular basis. I need to keep hunting or just forge my own path with more research. 

dps214
dps214 Reader
6/17/20 3:26 p.m.
docwyte said:

I'm not a fan of the Hawk HP+.  For this car and "dual use"  (knowing there's no such thing as a dual use pad) I'd go with a Ferodo DS2500.

Just to be clear I wasn't specifically recommending the HP+ (though I didn't have any real complaints about them on my miata aside from the ridiculous noise...people seem to have a very love/hate relationship with them and I never had them on a heavy car), just that that's the only hawk product I would think would be even close to right for this situation. I don't have any experience with the ferodos, I'm a fan of porterfield R4S for multi-purpose stuff, though for something this heavy they might not quite be up to the task either, Beyond that I'd say the next thing is the ST43 which are actually pretty good on the street aside from being almost as noisy as the HP+. But the payoff is they'll put up with just about anything you throw at them on track and generally last pretty well.

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
6/28/20 6:22 p.m.

I haven't done the fluid flush and pad change yet. I had something come up so I had to reschedule my July 13th track day.

After more thought and input from others I sent the hawk pads back. I didn't do enough research before hand. I ended up ordering some  new SS lines and a second set of rotors from a different forum that had less than 1000 miles on them. I'm going to get them turned and then get ahold of the fine folks at Carbotech and order a set of XP10 or 12 pads. Just want to talk to them first to see what they suggest. From what I'm reading the 12 can go to higher temps so I'll probably just go that route. It's only like a $10 difference.

As a positive I did get some garage organization done. I live is the city so my garage isn't very big. I've never had storage or a workbench so I finally got some stuff going. The bench is from Menards and was only $65. Its actually better than expected. I did reinforce the wood pieces with 2x4s I had laying around. im happy with it.

also if you like ciders, this is delicious on a hot day

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
6/29/20 8:25 a.m.

You have the proper tool to retract the rear brake caliper piston?  You need a scan tool for it since the e-brake is electronic

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
6/29/20 9:18 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I do. I bought a VAGCOM a couple of weeks ago so I could do just that and turn off service intervals after I do them without having to take it to the dealer. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
6/29/20 2:17 p.m.

In reply to MrLittle :

Perfect. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZLhAIs62ijrm3JNtw5qv0z3Lsm12RG7cpNzh8z5LigKEHbM1b5bMEuNerf2kXzJf