1 2 3
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
1/11/13 7:26 p.m.

I sold my last RX-7 in 2011. I had it since 1999, it was looking great and running well. I figured if I was ever going to sell it, I needed to do it right then. Over the next couple of years, I kept finding spares in my garage that got shoved into corners or stuffed into bins. I wasn't surprised, I had owned 7 RX-7s over the years, so I had lots of junk from them. It was always my intention to get an RX-8 after that, so my wife and I could take the "fun car" out with the kids along.

Instead, I kept buying and spinning wrenches on a long stream of crapcan cars:

2 Neons (both 2 door DOHC cars, one of which was NYG)

A MKIII Golf 2 door sport that I still have (curse you Grassroots motorsports!)

4 BMW E30s (A Super ETA, a 1989 325i with LSD and two 1989 325ix models)

and finally, a Merkur XR4Ti

The last one kind of broke me. I realized then I had a problem. I want to drive cars, not keep working on them, and the entire reason I sold the RX-7 was to get a car I could use to haul the family, do some autocross in and have fun while driving it. I'd just been marking time, losing interest in my projects because they were not what I really WANTED to be working on.

I decided to thin the herd quite a bit and finally bought the car I'd wanted all along.

Here it is, registered to me on 1/5/2013.

3K53Ld3H95L25F85Mcccrd292b3ee124e144f

3E73Jb3Na5F85H25X5ccrc5da95c6e3b4180b (1)

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
1/11/13 7:38 p.m.

Now, I had a pretty tight budget for this. I'd passed on a similar car with low compression and a salvage title for $4500. I'd been kicking myself in the rear for that, but I figured I saved myself some headaches in the long run.

I was right. I got this one for just a little more. It runs, has a clear title and I am the third owner. I like the color a lot better. It does have a sunroof (the other one did not), so a bit of a tradeoff on that. But, since it is going to only be a semi-serious local autocross car, I figured the sunroof won't matter all that much. It isn't like I was doing to be in the top three in any case.

But it does have problems. Oh, yes. The young man I bought it from apparently was skimping on maintenance. It needs tires before I drive it anywhere. I am going to change the fluids, including an oil change before it moves another inch, and I'm going to do the coils at the same time. It has 160k miles, and no documentation that the engine was exchanged under warranty. It doesn't like to start hot, but that could be the coils, a worn starter (Mazda upgraded the part) or just the fact that it has 160k miles.

It is exhibiting some known problems, and I'll have to fix those in addition to the starter, coils and fluid change:

coolant light on, despite being full (upgraded part)

throwing code P2259- usually a bad connection or short in the harness for the connector

Airbag light on randomly (aggravating, might be spendy)

Stupid steering column is wobbly and has no serviceable parts (see a thread about just that very thing in the main forum) This IS spendy.

and lastly, there is a pretty good rip in the seat. It was a small rip, but now it is a pretty big rip. That irritated me quite a bit.

So it needs work- a bit more work than I thought, if I'm honest. I got a bit of rose-colored vision when I was looking at it and let myself overlook some stuff. Still, the price and timing was right, and I giggled like an idiot the first time I drove it.

Under my care, this car will be solid before too long. It deserves it.

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
1/11/13 7:44 p.m.

Start with your basic items (coils, plugs, coolant sensor) then work on the other items.

Congrats on your purchase and hope you get it up to snuff soon!!!!

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
1/11/13 7:45 p.m.

BTW welcome back to the addiction!!!!!!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
1/11/13 7:47 p.m.

Immediate plans:

Tires. Cords are showing on one of the tires. I've ordered some already, just have to wait for them to arrive.

Fluids! Oil change primary

Coils! This and the starter might fix (or ameliorate) the hot start problem.

I've also determined that I have to buy a wrecked or non-running RX-8 as a parts donor. I want a good steering column, a spare engine, a spare transmission, a spare steering rack and an unripped seat- to START with. Looking at that list and given the incredible lack of RX-8s in the self-pull lots, I'm trolling the insurance auctions for a car. So far, only an automatic has shown up in the Raleigh area and a car in Dansville that required a fricking license to buy, but it is only a matter of time before somebody hoons their RX-8 into a curb or something. I am hoping it is a 2006 model, they have the updated engine specs and oil injection system.

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
1/11/13 7:51 p.m.

I have 2 225/45-18 kumho SPT's laying around at about half life (both somewhere near 7-8/32nds) in baltimore if you are desprate....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/11/13 9:02 p.m.

The new guy at Flyin' Miata has an RX8. He is getting no end of grief about this torqueless wonder. Meanwhile, he was making fun of the head gasket set I bought home this weekend...

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 HalfDork
1/11/13 9:45 p.m.

It's a sweet car - nice choice. I've thoroughly enjoyed driving and racing the one my GF and I have.

As far as the airbag light goes - it's probably just a loose wire or plug in the airbag harness that runs under the driver's or passenger's seat. The wires tend to hang down and when people sit in the back seats they can push on the wiring with their toes sometimes. Had this issue with our car when we first got it. I unplugged the harness and plugged it back in and haven't had a single issue since.

Also, I would second the though about getting an '06 up parts car. I've been watching the reliability ratings on the RX-8s and when they did the minor updates in '06 it seems to have dramatically improved the reliability in most of the problem areas. (maybe I'm biased though, since ours is an '06).

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
1/11/13 10:02 p.m.

welcome! I miss mine. It's in the garage for the winter They are awesome on track.

DSC_0542 DSC_0528 DSC_0521

bruceman
bruceman Reader
1/12/13 7:29 p.m.

Nice keep us informed on how it runs

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
1/12/13 9:33 p.m.

Coolant sensor is built into the plastic reservior so the tank has to be replaced. Have similar issue w/my RX8 only mine comes on random and letting the engine go to idle clears the light. Replacement tank is $$ also.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
1/14/13 11:11 a.m.

Well if the engine lasted 160k I don't think it was one that had issues with engine clearances and a hard to start hot would not be a symptom. I would imagine with poor clearances it would be hard to start cold. How does the oil smell? gassy or no

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
1/14/13 12:15 p.m.

I spent the weekend outside with my kids. No updates other than spending time with your kids is awesome.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr Reader
1/14/13 3:51 p.m.

I had one of those.

It was awesome! Until things started to bother me....

Like the clutch pedal assembly that broke off, the coils that SUCK!, the cat that clogged, the engine that slowly lost power......

Ahhhh Rotary engines SUCK!!! THey are not reliable at ALL!!!

.....Says the guy who is racing two different rx7's in Lemons and has a FC Turbo in my garage as my "Fun" car.

I actually really miss my RX8. I might get another soon. Craiglist here I come.

Good Luck with your car.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
1/14/13 5:15 p.m.

I swear, it is the noise they make that keeps drawing me back in. The RX-8 chassis helped a bit, too.

I am going with Chevrolet coils at some point in time. They seem to solve that problem permanently.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
1/14/13 5:21 p.m.

I drove my friends rx8 for a few days because I replaced his starter, it made me miss when my FC was streetable. I love how smooth the powerband and acceleration is.

I'm also a sucker for suicide doors and the price on these vehicles is just screaming for my attention...

sure you can spend 2000 dollars and maybe pick up 10-15whp but I like it in its stock form, just pure goodness.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
1/15/13 10:24 p.m.

Depending on your location, you can probably get a running 2004 for under $5000. Not challenge money, no, but I consider that fair.

JohnGalt
JohnGalt Reader
1/16/13 8:20 a.m.

I think someone said it but the end tank coolant sensor corrodes or goes bad. I had mine replaced under warranty at under 40K. It might be a wide spread problem. I have never had problems with my coils either but i replaced them at 70K and do plugs every 50K. Currently it has about 80K and according to a stop watch is about as fast as it was when i got it.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
1/16/13 10:37 a.m.

The S2 RX-8 also got a variable red line. It limits RPM to 5k, 7k, when warming up and finally 9k when up to temp (and has corresponding LEDs in the tach). I always let it warm up completely and never get above 3500rpm until hot. I'm not sure if the S1 had that feature or not (I know it doesn't have the lights).

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/16/13 10:43 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I swear, it is the noise they make that keeps drawing me back in. The RX-8 chassis helped a bit, too. I am going with Chevrolet coils at some point in time. They seem to solve that problem permanently.

I about splooged myself on the test drive of the 09 Sport i took last month. INCREDIBLE NOISES. Really rather quick, especially for a street car. Awesome handling, perfect interior. Perfect shifter. Great brakes. MOAR INCREDIBLE NOISES.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
1/16/13 11:50 a.m.

I'd be open to selling my 2004 109k mile RX-8 for the right price. Unless the infant seat somehow fits in the back seat. Dangit, I better go check that.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
1/16/13 11:52 a.m.

Anybody tried driving one in the snow with "proper" tires?

scardeal
scardeal Dork
1/16/13 11:56 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Anybody tried driving one in the snow with "proper" tires?

How much snow are you talking about? I've got all seasons on the front (waiting for them to wear out) and snows in the back. I haven't had any problems with slush, but have managed to not have to drive it through anything more yet. This is my second winter with it, too.

The PO claimed it did great in snow, though.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
1/16/13 12:28 p.m.

Depends - I'd probably go borrow my wife's Cherokee once we get to about 5-7". Most of the time we'd be talking hard packed snow on the road, nothing the car'd get stuck int.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
1/16/13 12:46 p.m.

My FC in the snow with proper tires feels better than my mazda2 with proper tires in the snow. But I'm also more used to RWD handling characteristics.

think about it, its light, its not a super short wheel base and its not a drift king wheel base, no low end power and in wheel spin the engine doesn't mind some revs, it actually likes it! its not like your going to take this up a mountain in a blizzard but it will do very well (I imagine)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VuP0q9ufNqbToLZhaQGZUvDJSELz5YABvGg6Jz22UdVGJ4LKm3Aw3cHFCzfNbyp6