2 3 4 5 6
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
4/24/13 9:46 p.m.

As a side note, the Merkur that was bought by another GRM reader is visible in the background of one of the photos.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
7/27/13 8:10 p.m.

Getting the new engine swapped in is dragging out much longer than I thought. I could pull the engine in an FC in two hours if I wasn't trying to save hoses and such. Of course, the transmission came out with the engine in those pretty easy, too.

I put in a few more hours today and I'm hoping that I'll be finished with the engine swap tomorrow. I just have the motor mounts, one oil cooler line (frozen together) and the transmission to engine bolts on both cars left at this point in time.

(rant) The fitting on top of the radiator that feeds into the overflow tank is made out of pixie dust or something. I broke the one on the donor car being careless. I thought I had learned my lesson, but I managed to break the one on the regular car just by wiggling the hose slightly. Just wiggling- there is absolutely no way any human being could replace that hose without cracking the fitting. I just can't see how it could happen. A replacement from MazdaComp is nearly $300. I picked up one for less than $200 locally because I am in a hurry, but I think the only long term solution is to mount an aftermarket all aluminum radiator in there somehow. Time to hit the web to see what others have devised for their solutions to this ridiculous problem.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr HalfDork
7/30/13 9:34 a.m.

I assume it is not swappable with any of the earlier cars?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
7/30/13 10:17 a.m.

I'm sure it could be made to work somehow, but it is a markedly different design overall.

I never did finish the swap on Sunday due to real life getting in the way. It will be mid to late August before I get another chance, I think.

bruceman
bruceman Reader
8/1/13 10:57 a.m.

Purchased one of these 2 months ago with an internal coolant leak. Rebuilt the engine with seals only and reinstalled a week ago. As a fellow FC owner I too am confounded at the lack of room around the engine. I mean you have to remove the front wheel to get the spark plugs out! And my exhaust was flooded with coolant. Several neighbors were very concerned when I got it started due to the massive amounts of smoke that filled the garage.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
8/5/13 8:58 p.m.

I've still not gotten the engine out due to other obligations, but I'm really looking forward to it.

The really bad news is that I have a line on a possible very inexpensive inoperable FC. I'd love to try to jam a RENESIS in there.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
8/25/13 10:12 p.m.

Kevin Landers seems to be a berkeleying magician if he can get an engine out of an RX-8 by himself.

I have mine stuck in the bay pretty well.

Lessons learned:

1. Remove the upper intake manifold.
  2. Maybe drop the front sub-frame a half an inch or something.

Getting it out is easier than getting one in and lined up with the transmission. This is a bigger job than I thought. Getting an engine and transmission, still attached, out of any of the three generations of RX-7 was easy as could be.

To be continued, next week!

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
8/26/13 8:06 a.m.

Speaking from FCs experience would it be easier to remove the transmission with the engine attached? or with the rx8 the power plant frame make it trickey?

ALSO on your rene FC idea.

I've got a blown rx8 transmission in my garage ive toyed with using as a mockup for 6 speed FC. the trans mounts don't look like it would be very difficult...

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
8/26/13 9:17 p.m.

Fidelity, it is a completely different experience from an FC. The FSM calls for dropping the entire sub-frame then lifting the body off of the engine/transmission and sliding it out.

Seriously.

I never did go to look at the FC. I'm afraid of what would happen.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
8/27/13 8:00 a.m.

Yeah newer cars are designed to be fixed at the dealership where people have nice tools and lifts n such :(

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
8/31/13 6:31 p.m.

The engine will come out if you do it just right. I'm not sure how I'm going to line the new one up with the transmission, though. It might be a case of putting the engine in, then bolting the transmission on after the fact.

I also need a new engine mount, as one was all buggered up.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
9/7/13 2:20 p.m.

There is some rust starting on the radiator supports and some brackets on the donor car and the keeper car. My plan to just put the best parts into the keeper car was foiled by that fact. So, it looks like I am going to have to do some work to keep the rust from getting any worse under there.

Joy.

Harvey
Harvey New Reader
9/12/13 10:18 a.m.

Keep at it. You'll get it together. If the rust is just surface stuff on the supports then I'm not sure I would even worry about it, but if you're in there already might as well clean it up.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
10/30/13 6:55 p.m.

I have to burn some time off before the end of the year, so I took today off and spent a bit of time on the car.

I now have to un-clip the O2 sensors and wires on the transmission and then pull the engine out of the donor car. I left myself a nice, big note about getting the wiring harness free before I try to remove the engine because it will probably be a while before I can get another crack at it.

I also realized that it would be best to remove the exhaust when I try to put the new engine in. Getting the upper passenger side bellhousing bolt off involves 5 feet of wobble fittings and flex joints. Getting it in without cross-threading it seems impossible with the exhaust still attached.

Plus, since my engine had super low compression, it is probably a good idea to swap on the catalytic converter from the car that had good compression. I don't want this one to start to fail because of a clogged exhaust path.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
10/30/13 7:24 p.m.

This is the answer

Just saying.......

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
10/30/13 9:37 p.m.

I want to remain emissions legal, since this car will be tagged and driven on public roadways.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
10/30/13 11:57 p.m.

Several hours later and I am still picking hateful Mazda dirt out of my eyes.

bruceman
bruceman Reader
10/31/13 11:06 a.m.

Getting the exhaust manifold back in place when the engine is installed is also a treat. While it is possible patience and creativity is the key.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
10/31/13 1:20 p.m.

I am thinking I can leave the manifold on the block when I put it in the car. It is really the mid/cat pipe that is getting all in the way.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
11/2/13 10:12 p.m.

So this happened today.

Removing the catalytic converter/mid pipe made getting to the transmission bolts worlds easier, and it only required minor gymnastics instead of an Olympic routine. I still have to get the GReddy muffler off of the donor car, but that isn't mission critical right now.

The donor engine mounts were also in good shape. BONUS! There is $200 I don't have to spend.

I was running out of daylight so instead of trying to rush an engine install I also did a bit of prep work on the good car. I removed the midpipe/cat on that car, too, and did an inspection. The catalytic converter matrix was melted and broken into several pieces. It is no surprise given how low the compression was on the engine that came out of it, and I'm glad that the one in the donor car looks pretty clean. I also started removing the muffler but got tired of fighting with the rubber hangers so just called it a day, took a shower and went to Golden Corral for dinner.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
11/2/13 10:18 p.m.

mmmm...... golden corral........

glad to see you moving forward!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
11/16/13 7:28 p.m.

Got the new radiator most of the way in today. I have to go buy some new rubber bushings for it, the ones in there were toast.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
12/6/13 8:12 p.m.

The donor engine is in the car! It isn't hooked up to anything or bolted down, but it isn't on a dolly in the garage anymore, either. Aligning an engine to the transmission by yourself is not at all fun, especially when you've surrounded yourself with extra rims in case the jackstands slip.

Back to work on it again tomorrow. I might have this thing running by the end of the year if I get a couple more good days of work in on it.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
12/6/13 8:39 p.m.

Sweet! Keep on it sir!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
12/7/13 8:53 a.m.

Can I ask why is the engine a PITA to remove, besides that big old obvious ABS block in the way? It sure looks like you could raise the rear of the car to slide the engine and trans out as one piece.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0OrplSjokPeYwwq0QD1cWDQZRrUjUaX4gqpli4SiZDlfFrjldYcRdgYqbFiqeVY4