1 2
Boredom
Boredom New Reader
8/5/21 8:18 p.m.

Hi. So about two months ago I sold my last "project" car, a 1976 318 dodge dart swinger. I lost money on it, I felt defeated by it, and I honestly loved it. It was technically my first car. I named her Angie (after a highschool crush) The reason for getting rid of it was that I realized that it was too much for me. In the five years of owning it I probably only drove it a handful of time. I did many upgrades to it but ultimately the amount of body work it needed just surpassed what I could do and, as it seems to go, life got complicated. I fell in love, got engaged, moved multiple times and it just sat In my parents garage. So it was time to depart with it. The person who bought it seemed to not be afraid of what it needed and even promised that his son would drive it to highschool.

Approximately two days later I was looking for something new to replace her. I saw an add for a clean early 70s Pontiac LeMans (my dads first car, meaning the hero of many stories) and decided to go look at it! It was a good potential car but the combination of the guy showing three other people the car at the same time as me along with the fist sized hole in the rear fender(odd the passenger side didn't have pics on Facebook marketplace?) made me decide it wasn't for me. On the way home, on a sleepy country road, I came across my new love. A 1966 olds 98 sedan. White. Large. Shaved rear door handles. I called the number, the guy came out and I took it for a test drive. I loved it, it was different than my small Angie but it was beautiful, it made me feel important. I offered him 2000 lower than what he was asking. He texted me later that night. I had bought my second car.

More to come tomorrow. Thanks!

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/5/21 8:23 p.m.

Looks great!  Congratulations 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/5/21 8:37 p.m.

Everybody needs a land yacht at least once in their life. Cruisin' fun to be had.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
8/5/21 8:39 p.m.

I love 60's GM hugeness.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
8/5/21 9:18 p.m.

Nice score!  Congrats!

Boredom
Boredom New Reader
8/6/21 4:39 p.m.

Getting it home was uneventful. It has the olds 425 big block and drives like a new car. Apart from the layer of deep black grim all over it it was perfect. According to the seller it is from long island and was owned by am old lady (who had to drive it down a alley everyday, this is where the few dents in the bumper come from supposedly) then an old guy who shaved the handles then him. He bought it daily drove it for a while then drove it from the big apple all the way to the heart of it all where he has kept it parked next to his shed. It is not perfect but it is far cleaner than my last car and much more reasonable for me to handle. Also it being a new york car means I get to do a mock accent and have day dreams of cruising the bronx in it. Here is a picture of it next to my daily. Which I now realize is my actual second car so I guess this is actually my third. Getting it to fit in the garage was its own battle. A 18'6" car in a 20' garage means you have some breathing room for error but need to suck in your gut to go behind it or in front of it.the first order of business was to stop the small surface rust spots (as seen above) and it make it a little more presentable until I can redo the paint job for real.Then some cleaning and minor repairs.

Boredom
Boredom New Reader
8/6/21 4:47 p.m.

And then I wanted to make it feel like mine. that pretty much brings us up to current. I have a few more things done to it but I want to discuss the thread name. I did not really have a good idea on what I wanted to do with the car because I never actually planed on getting a car like this. As I said before, I did not drive my last car as much as I really wanted to so for this one I want to drive it as much as possible! At the time of writing the odometer says it has 76577.9 miles on it. I want to get to 100,000. What happens once I get there? Idk but I expect it will involve cake, and I guess it will be a new car since it won't have any miles on it anymore. Then maybe I go again for 100000? Maybe I sell? Maybe I get suggestions? I am not sure.

But what I do know is I want to drive it. So ever time I put miles on it I want to list the date here and list the miles I started with and ended with. I don't plan on driving it today, but I am sure I will tomorrow. So please try to keep me accountable if you don't hear from me for a few days!

Also thanks to the kind words from everyone here so far. I am not as knowledgeable on cars as I want to be so feel free to offer recommendations on things and I am sure I will have many questions too!

Boredom
Boredom New Reader
8/7/21 7:29 p.m.

Took a short trip in her today after literally spending 4 hours washing/waxing her. Who new a car with more square feet than my first apartment would take a while to claybar.Short trip for sure, but some amount is better than none. Also finished wiring on my period current gauges. I was supposed to go to a local car show in Doylestown Ohio. I bailed on it though just due to covid anxiety. Apparently being vaccinated, I am still people shy. The festival apparently was called rogues hollow and is commemorating an old mining town with a built in urban legend. Supposedly a horse at full gallop ran into a tree making the horse rather bottomed heavy. The ghost of the headless horse can be seen in the area with an imp rider running down locals. I guess I will have to wait until next year to see if I can catch a blurry pic of a demon horse. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/7/21 9:33 p.m.

I dig it

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/8/21 8:05 a.m.

That's a cool car.  I think you could run a side hustle for weddings . . .

I like the white wheels -- if it were mine I'd want some of those D-window steelies to make it look uber-butch.  At least when I wasn't side-hustling for weddings :)

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
8/8/21 8:32 a.m.
Boredom said:

I thought these picture locations looked familiar then noticed in your profile you are in Ashland. I grew up there but thankfully moved away. 

Boredom
Boredom New Reader
8/8/21 8:38 a.m.
ZOO (Forum Supporter) said:

That's a cool car.  I think you could run a side hustle for weddings . . .

I like the white wheels -- if it were mine I'd want some of those D-window steelies to make it look uber-butch.  At least when I wasn't side-hustling for weddings :)

I am actually ordained so that side hussle is not so outlandish.... I could do a complete mobile wedding service lol.

Boredom
Boredom New Reader
8/8/21 8:41 a.m.
EvanB said:
Boredom said:

I thought these picture locations looked familiar then noticed in your profile you are in Ashland. I grew up there but thankfully moved away. 

Lol I understand the wanting to escape. My fiancees family is here at least until her younger sister graduates High school. We actually just bought a new house in town on highland blv if that means anything to you but that will be a big post on its own!

birdmayne
birdmayne New Reader
8/8/21 8:50 a.m.

My Z is at 7x,xxx miles. I'll race you to 100,000. 

Loser has to swap their engine? 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
8/8/21 8:51 a.m.

In reply to Boredom :

Yep, I grew up on Edgehill Ave. There are some nice old houses in town for a lot less than they go for here in Columbus so that is a plus. 

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/8/21 9:30 a.m.

In reply to Boredom :

This is the way . . .

Boredom
Boredom New Reader
8/8/21 12:09 p.m.
birdmayne said:

Is your money where your mouth it? laughAlthough I think big block olds boost might be in my future somedaay....

Boredom
Boredom New Reader
8/8/21 12:10 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

That is really the biggest thing Ashland has going for it, not much to do around these parts tho....

Boredom
Boredom New Reader
8/8/21 12:21 p.m.

Probably not driving it today so I would show some minor updates done to it. Honestly trying to avoid anything big for now due to a business trip later this month and (as I mentioned before) moving next month, so we are trying to be a little more frugal in our spending. 

One of my favorite updates to cars is to take the original air cleaner, clean all rust off it then high temp clear over it. If everything else on the engine bay is clean and new and you have this cleared air cleaner in the middle it just gives it a sort of character to me but it might be a little rice wink.

Then slap an ebay reproduction rocket sticker on it. 

Also, I don't want to say this is the original air filter but.....

Also did I mention this thing gets approximately 11 miles per gallon currently. And that is on the 93 recommended for it...yikes! So the next 23,000 miles might be a little pricey. The life of a pimp is hard but it is the one I chose. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
8/8/21 1:01 p.m.

Great project!

I was thinking the same...about how much it might cost to get to your goal (considering fuel mileage).  But who cares...it'll be fun!

Driving a car that is not perfect is way more fun than feeling guilty about not progressing on a project you're trying to make perfect.  (That's a philosophy, not a comment on the condition of your car...which looks pretty solid!)

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/8/21 1:07 p.m.

Nice! She's responding well to your effort- Lookin' good!

birdmayne
birdmayne New Reader
8/8/21 1:25 p.m.
Boredom said:
birdmayne said:

Is your money where your mouth it? laughAlthough I think big block olds boost might be in my future somedaay....

Heck ya. I intend to swap it anyway so... 

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
8/8/21 6:58 p.m.

That car is beautiful. 

Boredom
Boredom New Reader
8/8/21 7:57 p.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

Deal, lord knows it will be a couple years probably before either of us get there but it is in writing here (with the addendum we can always swap earlier or count boost as a swap?) devil

Boredom
Boredom New Reader
8/8/21 7:58 p.m.
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) said:

Nice! She's responding well to your effort- Lookin' good!

Thank you sir! Always feels to good to hear people say I am doing something right! 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BqO6410YyNvKDG6mHeoRy11tILmzx9m3DAVtEIdpuW5ebjbdZ5JK5NtMFGJ2TleO